Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Cheers Stan.

Long long way off trying to go under 2.00 splits but nice to get back on. Very wary of the shoulder and never want that to happen again so my low pain threshold should keep me well and truly on the ground.

Luckily BIRC 2007 is along way away.

PS, JR glad you can keep a secret just hope Stan joins the conspiracy :)
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

What conspiracy ? :wink:
I presume the cheque is in the post
pb times
Jessica-Red
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Jessica-Red »

My cheque too???? :lol:
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Come now you fine people wouldn't succumb to money to keep yer marvs shut.

May stretch to a pint of creme de menthe to buy your silence :D
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Gooner, on further reflection don't try that shoulder at any more than 2:26 pace. :P
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Gooner Neil wrote:May stretch to a pint of creme de menthe to buy your silence :D
:shock: blrughyuckgrh..........
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Been caught. Ok will stick to this, promise.

Janet, you're obviously too classy for my liking :D
webberg

Post by webberg »

Too classy?

What do South and East London ladies drink then?

Port and lemon?
Gin?

I thought these days it was all alcopops and tequila.

When I was young (and beer was just invented) the country girls would drink Black Velvet (Guiness and cider), snakebite (lager and cider) or just cider. How things ahve changed!
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Pain in the neck!

Post by JanetS »

Well you two can judge on the 'classy' front now! (black velvet - now there's a drink to fall down to! :D )

Anyway..... back on topic.....
Advice please:
Holidays are here & usually this is a time for me laying down some meters & getting into some decent habits to take me at least partway into next term. However:

Son no.2 knocked my head sideways last week when I was trying to lift him onto my shoulders thus pulling something in the neck region. I thought it had calmed down, did the 60mins on Friday & had to pull weirdly for the last third as it was still niggling. A few pints of 'Good Elf' seemed to help relax all those twingy muscles, I allowed Sat & Sun off to a.) recover from hangover, b.) lose remaining twinges - fully expecting to start putting in some good work today.
Instead woke at 4am unable to move neck without horrid pain, centred on side/base of neck, spreading up to ear & jaw and down into shoulder & upper arm. Still nasty now (i.e can't tilt head side to side without pain, can't look over shoulder.... can't erg! :evil: )

Now I know about RICE:
Rest is tricky - need to hold head up to see ahead etc.
Ice I can do.
Compression...... shall we go into all the 'neck torniquet' jokes?
Elevate - usual in a neck!
is there anything else I should be doing?

Someone out there must have had something like this? How long does it take to calm down? Is it usual to flare up again like this? Should I be alternately icing & heating?

Any suggestions welcome..........
PB:
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

Janet:

How do you know it's a muscle?

You may be subluxated and need to be adjusted by a Chiropractor. Relaxing your muscles may be the last thing you want. The muscle tightness is caused by the subluxation.....or rather your body responding to the subluxation.

I am not a medical person but I will give this a try......a bone in your back is out of place.....putting pressure on a nerve. Your muscles spasm....trying to make a correction.

Give it a thought.
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Thank you ptruz, that hadn't occurred to me - I'll see if I can get a recommendation for a chiropractor around here
(it's about time I did that anyway - I know my lower back has had 'issues' since the advent of son no.2)

Cheers! :D
PB:
big dave k
Rower and forum addict...

Post by big dave k »

janet,

sounds like a problem i used to get a couple years ago. i never did find out what it was, but every couple of months for a year, my neck would seize up completely and it was impossible to move it without blinding pain. it would come on all of a sudden and generally ease up after a few days. haven't had it for a while now, the last time i decided if it happened again id see a doctor, but it seems to have solved itself.

i think the advice has to be to see a doctor, it cant be normal, and even if all they say is rest, at least you know it's nothing bad.
Dave

19, 6'8", 93kg

Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

1. After meeting you I can confirm you are a classy lady :D

2. I've done my neck muscles two/three times left side. Although can't use and don't understand big words pete uses the only way I have found to get rid of the problem is to see a professional. RICE won't deal with the underlying problem. Something also tells me that RICE is not specific to every injury and in some cases can hinder rather than aid recovery so don't always use.

So take some anti inflammatory pills and get yellow pages working
BorisZ
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

Hope all injured feel better soon. Be careful with those Drs:
5 docs, 7 opinions.

sniff - I could not erg much yesterday due to a BAAAAD toothache. Now my root canal is done, and I am at work till late tonight.
Yes, Peter, I know you will take advantage of the sickly FS!
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

I've returned from Skiing with a bad back, and would appreciate any comments as to whether rowing would be a good/bad thing.
My thought is that as it's most painfull (just uncomfortable now actually) when in the sitting position it's best to wait.
But if like Mike C (who now has my total sympathy) it means being out for weeks and weeks I wouldn't look forward to that.
The ironic thing as well is that what ever I have done was done during bowling in the evening, and not when I was speeding down the piste!
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Let your body tell you what is right I reckon. Gentle paddle and if that is OK the next day build up slowly in the coming days.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Think my back is finally fixed again - thanks Wolfie. Now am just waiting to get snotty cold out of the system.

All the best with yours, and as Mr Whippy says, listen to your body and go gentle until you're sure it has recovered.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Good to hear from you Mike. You have been missed. Good luck with the come back.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

Yes indeed. (Belatedly) welcome back Mike!

I'm not sure quite what I've done, but without any apparent cause, my right foot suddenly started being painful on Friday. When I took off my shoe and sock on Friday evening, the area just before the toes was red and inflamed. A two and a half hour drive on Saturday down (via Cambridge and North London) to a conference centre near Reading left it so painful I could barely walk for a few hours. It's a bit better than that today, but still uncomfortable.

I wasn't going to row this weekend anyway due to playing chess, but had planned to be back on the erg tomorrow, which is definitely not going to happen now. Hopefully it will be better in a day or two though... I will be feeling the frustration if all those places I worked hard for in the last week or so are lost due to my enforced inactivity.

It has been suggested that it might have been caused by strapping in too tightly, but I don't think I strap in *THAT* tight, and certainly haven't done so more than usual recently. It's possible it's completely unconnected with erging, but has anyone here experienced anything similar?

Max
Maxim Devereaux
32, 6'1", less than 100kgs if I'm lucky

PBs:

Designed for living; built for erging
Stan

Post by Stan »

Sounds a little bit like gout which believe me is no joke. Is the pain in the joint of the big toe and was the skin hot to the touch? Anti inflammatories may help but if it is gout you may something stronger. If it doesnt clear up in the next day or so pop down to the docs - he/she will tell you fairly quickly and may take a blood test to confirm it.
Not saying it is definitely gout as I am not a medical doctor but it does sound similar. I have not had an attack for more than 2 years now and I am not taking any medication for it.
Hope it clears up soon.
pb times
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Sorry to hear about your troubles Max - I agree with
Stan in that the most likely problem is gout - I hope you get over it soon.
I am also off the rower at the moment with a recurrence of the arm trouble I had about 2 months ago - at that time my GP thougt it was likely that I had bruised an artery but having done some research I am 90% convinced it is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome(all the symptoms fit).
After a few days rest I thought I would try a very gentle hour session but after 20 minutes my hand/arm was too painful to continue - very frustrating but I will just have to be patient.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Sorry to hear of these injuries Paul and Max

Max I wonder if its possible youve actually got a small stress fracture in yr foot so go to GP please !
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

Maybe it's the time of the season but my shoulder is playing me up again.
Did something to it a while ago, rested it (used the exercise bike and blew up the death star). It (the shoulder) got better did some gentle rowing, then a internet row with Rob (PB on 30 so was giving it 'large') and all seemed fine.
Work up the other day feeling good, did some sit ups and some press ups and 'bang' it went again. This time it's a hellava lot worse. Smothered it in ibuprofen gel and popping some pills as well in a hope to get it from both sides.
I had to drink my B&C with my left arm over the weekend. Good job I'm ambidexious :D
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Opps

Post by Derrylad »

Jainser: Not so good then ? No chance of a 5k PB attempt tonight then. Will have to see how the shoulder is and perhaps do this some other time. I have had niggles with my right shoulder for years ( rotator cuff ). Just put it down to old injuries so I just grin and bear it ( mainly causes problems when lying on my side but not rowing ). Lets just hope it gets better. The thing is with shoulders is that they have such a wide scope of movement, so any injury to them can affect a lot of things.

Lets hope it heals soon.

Rob
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

webberg

Post by webberg »

Did somebody say shoulder injury?

I thought I had rotator cuff problems but basically it was tendonitis. The movement of the tendon under the scapule was restricted by a bone spur which made lifting the arm over shoulder height more and more painful.

Tried physio then cortizone jabs. Eventually keyhole surgery.

Have to say that it's very sore now but definitely better than it was.

So rotator cuff and tendonitis - very similar symptoms.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904