Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Spikeola
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Spikeola »

You may have seen my post on the holiday challenge thread - but as ever I realised after the event that of course there is an INJURIES thread!!! ](*,) :) I should've known better by now (mental note taken!)anyway here goes -

I took a nasty knock whilst playing rugby on saturday (decided I was the MAN :twisted: to tackle the 23 stone (146kg) prop; I wasn't :cry: ), thought I had dislocated my shoulder - but apparently I have just had a minor subluxation to the AC joint (where the collar bone meets the top of the shoulder) and a (possible) minor tear of the anterior (front) deltoid muscle - I'm not so sure of the tear as I have no acute spikey :P pains.

Basically I'm very bruised (internally) around my right shoulder and my shoulder feels fine if kept by my side and raised up to shoulder height - anything above shoulder height is sore - aching sore but not sharp stabbing sore.

I have iced regularly for 3 days now and am going to be alternating ice/heat today to try and remove some of the gunk built up in my shoulder (obviously lots of Ibuprofen) and possibly a massage =P~ later in the week. Anyone think of anything else?

Spikeola

ps hope to be able to finish off my 200k holiday challenge - 52kms to go!! 8-[

pps - not being able to row is making me feel depressed - how wrong is that? :? :shock: :x
Michael Gough 42 (102kgs and keen commuter cyclist)

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

hey Spike, chin up. You know you only have yourself to blame :wink: I hope it is as you've described and not the full dislocation.
It's totally normal to have withdrawal symptoms too, you are not on your own.

Plummy, please do provide the details of the session with Tom. Are you going down to his place in Nottingham?
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Derrylad
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Derrylad »

14 years on and I still miss being that 23 stone Tight End where eveyone just bounces off you mid tackle. I miss contact sports...

Spikeola.. Hope the injury clears . take it easy.

Rob
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

I miss contact sports...
Rob,

I thought I did too.................................not anymore! My body-hardness just seems to have disappeared. I really am trying to take it easy, but having just found IR it's tough but I know you are right ^O^

Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

I sat on my father-in-laws rower last night thinking - I could easily row twice a day (I'm house sitting for 2 weeks now) pile on the mileage b4 xmas - set myself some new pb's ready for the new year. I did have some ideas though;

How does anyone feel about one armed rowing? Even using a harness around the chest and just powering away with the legs? Would anyone have any problems with me registering this as metres in the bag?

The machine wants me back, it's been 6 days since I last had a go!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

kirbyt
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Spike, any way you can get the monitor to show metres is valid, just take it easy with the injury. I wrecked my knee twice playing basketball in an old man's league (over 35). The second time I wasn't wearing my brace because I thought, cocky bastard, that I had healed it perfectly. Next thing I knew, I'm on the floor holding my knee thinking about how far this is going to set me back for the indoor rowing. I miss shooting hoops like crazy but I've given it up for good. Besides rowing is safer and it makes me fitter instead of turning me into a cripple. Good luck on your recovery, maybe you can do a little half-stroke or paddling while you mend.

Kirby
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

Kirby you're a genius - straight arms and work the legs and back! \:D/

richardp
Rower and forum addict...

Post by richardp »

I'm also a great example of how not to do these things Spike - its been posted elsewhere but as a warning I ruptured my achilles - had op all seemed to be healing well - like an idiot i push things a bit and bang - it goes again - 6 months on crutches this year and definitely no rowing :(

I learnt the lesson the hard way - Go careful :D

Richard
Jessica-Red
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Jessica-Red »

Spike-take the nurses advice-do NOT try coming back too soon
that way lies DISASTER !!!!

take it from those of us who have been abt a bit :lol: -I tried to ignore this sound FS advice and just made everything much worse long term for myself

take yr medicine -relax -take it easy and dont fret -the erg aint going anywhere but yr health could be !
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Spikeola wrote:
How does anyone feel about one armed rowing?
Dont do it - it will hurt and may lead to another injury. We had a challenge on the ELM last year with one arm rowing and it was absolutely awful - never again. Instead I would suggest the stationary bike or anything that does not involve working that shoulder until it is healed
pb times
Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

Thanks everyone 8)

Sense will win out in the end, I think the clincher was RichardP's achilles - PING! :shock: :shock: Some gentle swimming and some time in the gym cycling, will keep the cardio ticking over ready for the ERG in the new year again :? :o :) :D

richardp

Post by richardp »

Hi Spike - Glad my misery for this year brings you clarity of mind! :D :D

I have to say i was stupid stupid for sure - I'm pretty competitive and we had another guy in the office who had also snapped his achilles - and i had to recover and push things to be "better" before him - ha what a muppet I was eh!

You'll be back beating 6:40 before you know it :D

Hang in there

Richard
Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

Well guess what? I'm sort of back - I did a tentative row last night of 4 minutes very slowly - bit sore but not too bad - came home this afternoon and thought as per Kirby - 'straight arms just using the legs' and I was pulling 2:30/500's, then 2:15/500's after 10 minutes or so the blood was pumping and I thought sod it I'll give a pull with the arms - my shoulder clicked and an awful lot of pain just dissipated. 20 minutes later I had done a total of 7338m.

An ice pack and 600mg of Ibuprofen (precautionary medicaments) and my shoulder is in much better shape. I think I must have knocked a ligament off line in my shoulder and the weeks rest, ice, sleeping sitting upright and ibuprofen have been brilliant remedies. I'll wait until the morning to count my chickens though!! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :) :D :shock: :o

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Glad to see you have healed well Spike, what with the PB's 'n all :wink:
It would seem my max effort 30R20 last Thursday has done something to my lower back, as I've been in constant pain (for pain, think of internal bruising/ache) ever since and I haven't rowed. Probably due to the different technique of trying to find more power at the lower stroke rate. Hopefully it's muscular and will clear. However, it hasn't subsided a jot yet and I'm struggling to sit through work all day.
What's worse is I can't even swing a club properly :( :cry: :(
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

Thanks Wolfie - I do feel a bit of a whinger going on about my shoulder but it still aches, but not so much when I row - the 1200mg of Ibuprofen each day has done wonders, couple that with one of my mothers hot bags (old curtain material filled with wheat and lavender) chucked in the microwave for three minutes and then I have at least an hour of lovely heat whilst I doze off to sleep! :)

A lady I treated today swears by some muscle relaxant tablets that she gets over the counter - as with most of my patients the level of content to their communication is somewhat challenged - she could not remember what it was called - hopefully she will ring me when she finds out!! #-o

plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Injuries! - yes I have a new one - but you really wouldn't want a photo of it :shock:

Now where's that vaseline again?

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

Plummy is the injury associated in anyway with your name? :wink: :lol:

plummy

Post by plummy »

Er - no actually, but a reasonable guess!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

eewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Great. Been away from my erg for a week or so but finish on Friday until January so was looking forward to some serious metres whilst on holiday.

Then last night slipped on something in the street and landed hard on my left knee.

This morning really stiff and sore and clicks every time I move it.

Hope it's just bruising and not a tear.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Spikeola

Post by Spikeola »

Loads of Ice (for 48hours minimum), Loads of Ibuprofen, Loads of rest and a trip to the Doc's / Hospital for a double check - best to be safe than sorry! I think knees are one of the worst injuries to get due to there complexity and the difficulty people have with getting around without using them.

Good luck with the healing quickly (fingers crossed) :wink:

Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

ooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

poor Graham-hugs
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hope you get lucky like I did Graham and it clears up really quick.
pb times
wojtek

Post by wojtek »

Hi everyone,

On the last day of the year I was having a nice little row, the CTC 15 minute challenge. I went to grasp the handle and it jumped away from me. I went to grab it and somehow managed to cause pain in my left forearm! I put some ibruprofen gel on it, and bandaged it, but it is still very painful. At least today I can make a half hearted attempt at a fist, but can feel it pulling.

Hope it gets better in time so that I can do some more training before EIRC.

Any suggestions as to what it might be? tendons, muscles or ligaments?

Woj :(

plummy

Post by plummy »

Hope you recover soon Woj - bad timing for the EIRC!

I'm no expert but it sounds like a muscle pull to me (especially if you have a slight improvement today). I usually bounce back from smalll muscle pulls in 3-4 days so hopefully the same for you

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"