Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Injuries.....:(

Post by Paul Victory »

Wow Barbara! It just shows how easy it is to get injured. It's good that you are able to keep on erging and I hope that the other problems clear up quickly.

I've had no ill effects from my two sessions to date. One more session planned for tomorrow and a deep tissue massage arranged fro tomorrow evening. Then I'm off to the West coast (of Ireland :lol: ) for 4 days, following which I hope to resume normal service, although I expect my pace will have dropped off a bit (particularly as I have been a bit careless on the calorie consumption front :roll: #-o ).
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

Paul - what did I say about watching the calories - naughty boy (again!)

Sorry to hear about your heel Barbara - we seem to be dropping like flies! Hopefully not plantar faciitis as I've heard that's pretty painful and a bugger to shift. Positive news on the erging being a help though :D

For me, I rowed the CTC for the team tonight but started very steady and pretty much stayed there. I found if I stopped my arms at a half pull into my chest I could (just about) stop the pain in my ribs so I've managed 3.5k and not gone backwards again re spending the night in pain post row. Rest until Saturday and hopefully another step forward - hopefully....
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
nervtoeter
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: AW: Injuries.....:(

Post by nervtoeter »

David, Barbara best wishes, get well soon.
Markus 44 83kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:Paul - what did I say about watching the calories - naughty boy (again!).
Apologies Plummy! Dr Jekyll is currently on holidays and Mr Hyde is back in residence until the injury clears up! :roll: :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

Plummy, Paul & Barbara,

Speedy recoveries please. [-o<

Ann :fsbgrin:
I am not getting older, just better. (not bad for a 74 year young lady)
CRASH B silver medal 65-69 lwt 2016
33 million lifetime meters plus and counting......(05/12/20)
5 million season 4/07/11
actually 5.301,526 4/30/11
#44 on the C2 board
plummy

Post by plummy »

Thanks Ann.

I'm getting there, having made a decent fist of a CTC last night I managed a 10k tonight. Certainly not pain free - but just under 41 minutes I'll take given my slight stroke constriction
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
plummy

Post by plummy »

I'm happy to advise that my ribs feel 100% again. A couple of decent rows (CTCwith 11:01.4 on Thursday and a 6k in 23:27 today and no ill effects - apart from all the gasping for air - but that's normal :D )
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Glad to hear that plummy. I think I'm also over my injury, but I've lost a lot of pace, particularly over longer distances. I did 30 minutes today and although it was not a flat out TT, I was pushing fairly hard and my HR at the end was 175, but I only managed 7697m @ 1:56.9 pace. Mind you, it was on RowPro, which I find distracting and I had my usual difficulties setting everything up, so didn't have time for a proper warmup beforehand.
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Hi everyone,

I came across this thread by accident - thought I would check out the Training thread to see if it would help me improve my knowledge. Cripes :!: I had no idea. :(

I'm so sorry that people have been in the wars - especially Plummy and Paul.

It's a bit ironic that since taking up rowing, all my aches and pains especially in my knees, have disappeared... I know, when I've been rowing as long as all of you, then we'll see... I'll have fallen off my perch long before then. :)

I'm glad that I sometimes sign off with the words, ' Row safely '. Going to use them all the time now. :)

Plummy my dear, I think we could use you on the Weight Loss thread. to read the riot act to Paul sometimes. I'm no good at that sort of thing, far too soft. :wink: :)

Okay you crazy rowers. Row safely and take care. :)

Jill
plummy

Post by plummy »

Thanks Jill - you say the sweetest things!

I never usually look at the Weight Loss Thread but dipped in after your reference to it. I've kicked Paul's backside a few times re his penchant for a few too many glasses of the red stuff but I fear selective deafness kicks in after the first glass. Looking at his stats their seems to be a pre-dominance of red entries!! - naughty boy again Paul.

As for injuries, I'm basically OK but picked up another on Thursday I'll spare you the details of. It won't stop be but will make rowing a tad more uncomfortable. My biggest issue is lack of Mojo as it has slowly slipped post Feb when I did the million metres week. After the initial rest I was working back some speed but as the year has slipped by I've found if I don't row, I don't miss it as much as I used to and add to that the rib injury plus a busy year with other stuff going on I'm a lot less motivated.

The double whammy is the less you row, the harder it feels so your less inclined to push and the inevitable slip in form starts and that's a slippery slope. Still, I'll be alongside the lovely Barbara H (Camicrew) on Rowpro this afternoon so I'll be doing something at least.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

plummy wrote:Thanks Jill - you say the sweetest things!

I never usually look at the Weight Loss Thread but dipped in after your reference to it. I've kicked Paul's backside a few times re his penchant for a few too many glasses of the red stuff but I fear selective deafness kicks in after the first glass. Looking at his stats their seems to be a pre-dominance of red entries!! - naughty boy again Paul.

As for injuries, I'm basically OK but picked up another on Thursday I'll spare you the details of. It won't stop be but will make rowing a tad more uncomfortable. My biggest issue is lack of Moj as it has slowly slipped post Feb when I did the million metres week. After the initial rest I was working back some speed but as the year has slipped by I've found if I don't row, I don't miss it as much as I used to and add to that the rib injury plus a busy year with other stuff going on I'm a lot less motivated.

The double whammy is the less you row, the harder it feels so your less inclined to push and the inevitable slip in form starts and that's a slippery slope. Still, I'll be alongside the lovely Barbara H (Camicrew) on Rowpro this afternoon so I'll be doing something at least.
Dear Plummy,

Thank you for your message - you've known Paul a lot longer than me. :) I've been more or less teetotal all my life, the occasional glass of beer/cider or champagne; more goes in cooking than in a glass. I probably clock up about 6 units a year, so I'll only sound like Miss Goody Two Shoes... Best to leave things as they are. :)

Obviously, I knew that Paul had recently hurt his back and Barbara her heel, from their recent posts on other threads but I didn't know that Paul had been plagued with back trouble for such a long time.If Barbara has or has had plantar fasciitis, then poor girl, she has my deepest sympathy. Thankfully it's something that I've never suffered with but I know people who have.Ouch.

As for you my dear - you'll make your mind up one way or another about how much you want to carry on rowing. Need to put yourself first. :) You don't have anything to prove. =D> :)

I forgot to say that I like your latest photograph. Does it signify an important event? That saying, Horses sweat, men perspire,but ladies only glow will have to be amended to, Horses sweat,men perspire, ladies glow, but Plummy sizzles/steams. You choose.

Enjoy your afternoon with Barbara. She's a great lady.

Take care and row safely.

Jill :)
Jill

Post by Jill »

Sorry Plummy. Me again. :)

If you only dipped into the Weight Loss thread, then you might have missed my recent message to you.

Special thanks must go to Plummy, for putting up with my daft demands for pink stars and other nonsense. =D> :) You've been great. :D

TC and SR
plummy

Post by plummy »

If Google docs (or my understanding of it) wasn't so limited your squares would be occupied by pink flamingoes and not pink stars (I DID try but failed).

P.S. I love your nonsense :lol:
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

plummy wrote:If Google docs (or my understanding of it) wasn't so limited your squares would be occupied by pink flamingoes and not pink stars (I DID try but failed).

P.S. I love your nonsense :lol:

Thank you Plummy - I'm a very lucky girl. :D ^O^
Take care. :)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Jill and plummy. I appreciate your efforts to keep me on the straight and narrow. :lol:

I know that drinking wine doesn't help with weight loss, but nobody's perfect (well, I'm not, anyway :roll: ) and we should all be allowed at least one bad habit. :fswink: I really think that for me, cutting out the junk food is the key factor. In spite of drinking too much wine this week and having a very calorific weekend away at the start of the week, I managed to lose 0.5kg and I put this down to not having eaten any junk food (chocolate, crisps, etc.). I am determined to get back below 95kg before end September and I'll give up all alcohol until I get there if I haven't done so by end September. (There, I've said it, so I'll have to do it! :evil: )

My injury history is slightly complicated. I've suffered from lower back pain on and off over the years, but my two breaks from erging in recent years were caused by an injury in my left supraspinatus (part of the rotator cuff) in late 2011 and an injury to my right gluteus medius (part of the ***) earlier this year. I think I'm now fully recovered from the latter, but I'm currently feeling some soreness in my right elbow, so hopefully it won't develop into something more serious. [-o<
Pepe
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Pepe »

In compliance with my back's request
I'm obliged to give rowing a rest
Recovery comprises
Physio/hydro/exercises
Patience needed: in itself a stern test

However, no need to be glum
I'll still be competing with some
Other like-minded souls
At my other sport, bowls
Walking yards on the green: no numb bum :!:
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Your skill with the lambic pentameter
Is a joy to behold here in Exeter
The lines that you write
Bring a smidgeon of light
To those who progress by the kilometre

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Jill

Post by Jill »

billwright wrote:Your skill with the lambic pentameter
Is a joy to behold here in Exeter
The lines that you write
Bring a smidgeon of light
To those who progress by the kilometre
Pepe wrote:In compliance with my back's request
I'm obliged to give rowing a rest
Recovery comprises
Physio/hydro/exercises
Patience needed: in itself a stern test

However, no need to be glum
I'll still be competing with some
Other like-minded souls
At my other sport, bowls
Walking yards on the green: no numb bum :!:
I've discovered the Limerick thread
What brilliance. Your rhymes knock me dead
May I just say
That your skill with word play
Is first class. The best that I've read. =D> :)

Jill
plummy

Post by plummy »

Gaah! - hate to do this - but could we move the limericks back to the limericks thread now - please 8-[
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

plummy wrote:Gaah! - hate to do this - but could we move the limericks back to the limericks thread now - please 8-[
Sorry Plummy - my fault - I should have posted mine on the correct thread. #-o :)
Hope that you are okay. :?:

RS and TC
Jill
Paul Victory

Tennis Elbow

Post by Paul Victory »

I seem to be suffering from tennis elbow. Originally it was my left elbow that was sore, now my right elbow seems to be much more of a problem. It's been greeting gradually worse for a while and is quite painful when I start rowing, but the pain disappears after a minute or so.

This morning, it's particularly bad :evil: and I suspect this may be due to the fact that I have done 105k on the erg over the last seven days as part of the Fall Team Challenge. #-o I did a hard session yesterday, with 15 minutes warm up at 2:00 pace, a new SB for four minutes and just over 30 minutes cool down at sub 2:00 pace. :roll: Has anyone else suffered from this and, if so, what was the solution? I'm hoping that I won't need to take yet another complete break from erging in order to clear things up.

Paul V
nervtoeter
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: AW: Injuries.....:(

Post by nervtoeter »

Paul it looks like bad luck at the moment, fortunately I can't help you, wish you the best to getting well soon.
Markus 44 83kg
stumpy
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by stumpy »

Well you could always try erging a little less matey. Or maybe a slower/longer WU say @ 2:30.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

stumpy wrote:Well you could always try erging a little less matey. Or maybe a slower/longer WU say @ 2:30.
I took yesterday off and I felt even worse today! But I think maybe I'm not rowing slowly enough on my recovery days. I seem to have devloped an obsession with keep :roll: ing all my rowing sub 2:05 pace.
Jill

Post by Jill »

Paul Victory wrote:
stumpy wrote:Well you could always try erging a little less matey. Or maybe a slower/longer WU say @ 2:30.
I took yesterday off and I felt even worse today! But I think maybe I'm not rowing slowly enough on my recovery days. I seem to have devloped an obsession with keep :roll: ing all my rowing sub 2:05 pace.
Hi Paul. Mr.Stumpy's suggestion that you try erging a little less, makes good sense.
Have you also considered seeing your Doctor :?: ( Not Dr.Google )
There are enough of you on this and the other injuries thread, who have hurt themselves, probably due to overdoing things. :(
Take care.