250km challenge

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

ChrisB

Bollens Billions!

Post by ChrisB »

You're mad... I've struggled to do the 250km... so... :twisted:

Redo my best times... that wasn't the idea... it was about your first 250km... :D

I've concentrated on the long rows... so not many short ones in there. Typically 45mins at a time, ocassionally twice a day, but my back and hands were really failing last week. This week not so bad, but then only rowed twice once. My average 500m time is pretty constant though, for a short person that is in comparison to JohnG and DerryLad!

Have fun.
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Reached the 200k mark today so should finish early next week. Planning a 30k for the weekend but may change to half marathon for the elm instead.
pb times
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

I decided to have a single week of long distance rowing, instead of the month a lot of other people are doing for the 250KM challenge

It turned out great, much better then I thought. I'm now tired and muscles are sore now, but it has showed me the value of longer distance rowing

The 7 days were Sunday 16th to Saturday 22th

I was combining ELM challenges and Nonatlon and CTC races together, it has been an eventful, 9 days

Sun : Nonatlon, 1 hour
Wed : Nonatlon, 6K PB :D
Thu : CTC, Moved from Boat 3 to Boat 2
Thu : ELM, Moved up the placings on the CTC challenge
Fri : ELM, One 4 Mr Sims completed (03:05:43.9 - 26.65SPM)
Sat : Nonatlon, HM PB :D
Sat : ELM, HM vs PB
Sat : ELM, 7 Wonders, (86,940m) :D (Normal this season was 32K)
Sat : ELM, Le Mans (The Sadistic B*st*rd) (22,349m), HM + extra 1252
Mon : ELM, Summer Roller Coaster completed (03:05:45.2 - 26.73SPM)

I'm amazed my two 50K challenges Sims+Roller came out so incredibly close, a lot of the distances where combined but even so only 1.3 seconds :shock: after 3 hours, incredible.
I thought that the Summer Roller should be faster,and on it's stroke rate it has averaged slightly higher . I think the reason it wasn't faster is that I tended to do the roller ones later in the week, so I was more tired, or maybe I was holding too much energy for the downhill parts.
It will be interesting to see if other people that do the 2 challenges also have very close times also

On the Nonatlon, I've ended up with 8124 points, which I'm happy with, my 500m this season is very soft, so I should get another 50+ points for that, also I'm thinking of doing a marathon later on in the year, so should get the 100 point bonus then.

I'm thinking of doing HM's every second weekend from now on, and will try and get a sub 1hr 20min.
I might also try and integrate the downhill part of the Summer Rollercoaster into some of my training, I think it will toughen me up to do short rows when I'm exhasted after a long row
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Long weeks

Post by webberg »

John, great weeks' rowing.

I suspect that you'll find it's payback time in the next couple of weeks as your body reacts to your nearly three times normal metrage.

Interesting point on the ELM Roller Coaster. I tend to be in the "longer and slower" end of the bracket and as such put a lot of effort into the uphill leaving the downhills to look after themselves. Decided that I can't really sprint anyway (too short and not heavy enough) and today was found out. I did the 10k of leg 4 and thought that the next was a 1k - it's not, it's 2k!

Did check though and did the distance but I suffered.

Tomorrow early is the last leg though and whilst I shall be at the bottom, it's one challenge done.

I see we also have a Tour de France enthusiast on ELM. Don't really like the look of the 89+hrs!
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan

Post by Stan »

Nice weeks rowing John - well done.
I finished the 250k challenge today and managed to incorporate the Everest challenge into it. Was not at all happy with the Everest leg and I will try to do that one again before the months over, but pretty happy to finish the 250k with the average split at 2:04.5.
Graham I think the tour de france challenge is 90 mins not 90 hours. Not happy with Mikkel limiting the July 5000 to people who can do sub 17 minutes. I will have to see if I can persuade him to change his mind on that one.
pb times
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Sub 17

Post by webberg »

Stan, I think Mikkel means sub 17 per 500 :twisted: :twisted:

I have quite a few "reliability trials" up my sleeve for ELM but decided to wait until the Autumn. I know also that Paul Sims has several dozen ideas and I have suggested a few things to him via PM - watch this space.

There seems to be a lot of IT expertise amongst us (me excluded). This allows a lot of scope for some wacky stuff that might not get into ELM.

For example maximum distance at any chosen split. Or 500 continuous intervals (i.e. no break) but minimum differential of say 10 secs. You could do 2:10 and then 2:05 (or better) alternately, or 2:20/2:10. Distance is measured until the split fails. Higher splits just means that you need to go on longer if you want a good distance. Doesn't really favour sprinters or distance ergers?

Could do the same thing with SPM. Say 500 at 20, then 30.

The PM3 monitor can deal with this by setting the splits.

I think Mr Sims would be proud! 8)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan

Post by Stan »

I think Mr Sims has been a bad influence on you. You used to be such a nice chap :lol:
pb times
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Now at 242,114m. Will finish tomorrow!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Thomas W-P wrote:Now at 242,114m. Will finish tomorrow!
I was actually 242,110m (was 4m out from memory on piece on Monday).

This left 7,890m for glory and the 250km. So I thought I would try to complete the 7,890 in 30 minutes at 1:54.

Er. No. Exploded after 12 minutes. I think the 60 mins from Tuesday and the beers last night caught up with me. I couldn't sustain for 2 minutes the heart rate I held for 30 on Tuesday!

So I then did some intervals of 100m to see if I could match Mike Channin (I couldn't) and have left myself 1000m to go. I aim to go out in style by beating Gregor's 1,000m time! :lol:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Thomas. Good to hear I'm giving you something to aim at. That 100m in 16.1 wsa pretty difficult, but keep trying. Should be achievable for a big chap like you. Remember I'm only a little overweight lite weight.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Mike Channin wrote:Remember I'm only a little overweight lite weight.
Don't you mean:

"Remember I'm only a really fit and strong little overweight lite weight."

I will beat your times when I am fit and strong again (haven't been since 1993). Slim might help too but my four days away have not helped there! I also think if I can stop the ergo slipping aroiuund on the floor that will help too!
Thomas W-P

Well, it is done...

Post by Thomas W-P »

250km in 18 hours, 12 minutes 13.1 seconds @ 2:11.1.

Phew. Much fitter than when I started - my new pb for the last 1000m of 3:22.4 is testimony to that.
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Well done Thomas!!! Looks like I'm going to have to start watching my lower distance PBs pretty soon. Now there's an incentive to train a bit harder. Thanks!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Mike Channin wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to start watching my lower distance PBs pretty soon.
Yeah, like I am going to knock 10 seconds off any time soon.
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

At your rate of improvement, I'm going to be under serious pressure by November time, and I'd expect you'll wipe the floor with me eventually on the grounds you're 4 inches taller and will probably still have 4 stone on me in weight even then. And anyway, you only need half a second to catch me on the 100m (and until a few days ago, my 100m time was slower than the one you did recently!)

All for a bit of competition, so bring it on! See you on the 30 minutes on Monday ;-)
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Just managed to complete the 250,000m for July - the most I've done in a month by about 80,000m. Total time 17:59:44. phew.
6'6" 1971
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Gregor Andrews wrote:Just managed to complete the 250,000m for July - the most I've done in a month by about 80,000m. Total time 17:59:44. phew.
Well done. You beat me by 13 minutes ;)