Is it me?

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Is it me?

Post by webberg »

An occasional series to allow grumpy old men (and in this PC world anybody else who wants to become one such even on a temporary basis), to vent some frustrations.

As many of you know I work in London. Most of the time I can cope with the walk in from the station to office (about 15/20 minutes) more or less on autopilot.

In the last week or so though a new phenonomen has appeared, or I have become more aware of them.

Apart from the smokers now forced onto the streets because public places are now all smoke free so every pavement now has a fog floating over it, I have seen the emergence of the "mobile phone exclusion zone person"

These are people who insist on having a conversation with their friends, colleagues, business contacts, whatever whilst strolling on the pavement. This necessitates their elbow being raised to about head/eye level, a raised voice and a smug assumption that they are able to wander aimlessly across the pavements. Those of us who have the temerity to actually use the pavement as intended are expected to move out of their way which given the random nature of their movements is not very easy! :evil:

So every day I have to dodge elbows and sudden changes of direction as well as the bellowing of these anti social elements. This morning brought this to another level as many of them are juggling umbrellas as well and I was spiked twice by such eejits.

I accept that mobile phones are just that. Why though can't people retreat to the edge of the pavement and bloody stand still for their calls? Why do they assume that the whole passing world is interested in their inane ramblings?

I have a dream in which I will one day snatch from the hand of these inconsiderate pratts the offending phone and throw it in the gutter where they can have their call at their own risk rather than mine. Equally because I use a footbridge over the Thames, taking the phone and offering it to the river would make the world and my journey a much better place! :lol:

Probably end up in trouble for that one though.

This practice appears to be non gender or age specific although a lot of young women are particularly random in their movements once connected to whichever friend is on the phone.

Sorry - rant over (for now).

feel free to add your personal frustrations. 8)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904