Who's going on holiday, and a discussion on chocolate!

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Yes, but just think - you get to go up an age category!!!!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Mike, that makes all my PB's and rankings on C2 invalid and I'll have to do them all again! :evil:

The Nonathlon though is a smoother progression and has no age breaks. It'll be interesting to see what happens as I cross the day itself. If my score increases can I count it towards the challenge?

It is also possible that I'll be a LWT by then. This might impact the Nonathlon as well - for better or worse.

I think that until I get to at least 2 kgs under the LWT limit and stay there for a month, I'll continue to post as a HWT. Otherwise I'll just lose track.

I can guarantee though that sitting on a beach drinking beer is not going to get me closer to any PB, any LWT status or 1m metres, only closer to the big 5-o. :twisted:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Ah, no, your HWT rankings still stand, it's just that you can ALSO file lwt rankings (and they'll only be against people your own size, rather than the giants of rowing, and will consequently be MUCH better)

Your Nonathlon scores probably will improve when you update your age (although you'd better check that it isn't age at the _start_ of the season that you should use).

They will definitely improve massively if you can equal them as a Lwt.

I think you need a 2nd profile for the C2 rankings if you go Lwt part way through a season, and I'm sure you do for the Nonathlon.

As for being a Lwt - I think you'll find most people post as a Lwt if they 'could' weigh in as one, so realisitically if you're within a couple of kilos that's good enough.

Wish I had to worry about such matters!

And finally,

Surely you should have gone to Hawaii for your birthday... ;-)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Hope you have a great holiday Graham. I am looking forward to my trip to Vegas next month.
I turned 43 yesterday (less significant than your impending one) which made no difference at all to my nonathlon scores - although I was not expecting it to - I think your scores will continue to be compared with 49 years olds until next season.
pb times
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

webberg wrote: Hmmmmmmm - let's say that if we both stay fit then around Christmas time the board metres might be very close. :lol:

Just booked a holiday in Cornwall for next year as well. We shall be in the Padstow area (kids like surfing). We'll be there in the second/third weeks of August.

So, I bet you one pint of Cornwall's finest that I can get ahead of you by Christmas and another that I can stay there until the end of the season. We can arrange to meet up in England's fairest county next Summer to settle up? :P

We'll make allowances if either of us gets injured but not for holidays or voluntary breaks.

What do you think?
Now I like a challenge like this. No-one loses !! I'm up for it and look forward to the beers whoever wins.
Have a great holiday!!
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

This is an old thread.....

We are all going to Hershey, Pa for two days between Christmas and New Years.

The Hershey Company (chocolate) has an amusement park and a faux "factory tour."

We have done this at least 4 or 5 times before......great for the little ones except mine are now 15 and 17......I am being forced to relive all these "kid" events for my brother's sake....he has a 3,5 and 10 year old.

Now the factory tour is ok.....When I was a kid it was the real factory....this is more of an animatronic (spelling here) sound and light display.....with a free sample at the end.

I prefer Canbury myself.

Now.....it's really cold that time of the year.....I MEAN COLD.....

The cool thing is that the rides (attractions......roller coaster, merry-go-round, spider, etc) are open and we all ride them in our heavy overcoats and parkas!

Hot Chocolate never tasted so good.

Last thing.....on the way home we stare at the Amish.....take some kind of Amish tour....it's sad really....these people are going about there lives.....we stare.

Finish the trip off at Good and Plenty Restaurant....a local favorite.
BorisZ
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

Peter, lucky bugger you! 2 days off! Me: to work Dec 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31st.
The vacation part is the uninterrupted (?) sleep on the "off" days, once all things family are tucked in.

Next Vac is a meeting in Florida (SCCM), followed by 4 days there without obligations. (Made sure they have an erg in the YMCA close to the meeting hotel .... :D )
Off to Europe in summer, probably to Soumi-Finland to visit my parents, 2 weeks with the kids.
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

ptruz wrote:This is an old thread.....

We are all going to Hershey, Pa for two days between Christmas and New Years.

The Hershey Company (chocolate) has an amusement park and a faux "factory tour."

We have done this at least 4 or 5 times before......great for the little ones except mine are now 15 and 17......I am being forced to relive all these "kid" events for my brother's sake....he has a 3,5 and 10 year old.

Now the factory tour is ok.....When I was a kid it was the real factory....this is more of an animatronic (spelling here) sound and light display.....with a free sample at the end.

I prefer Canbury myself.

Now.....it's really cold that time of the year.....I MEAN COLD.....

The cool thing is that the rides (attractions......roller coaster, merry-go-round, spider, etc) are open and we all ride them in our heavy overcoats and parkas!

Hot Chocolate never tasted so good.

Last thing.....on the way home we stare at the Amish.....take some kind of Amish tour....it's sad really....these people are going about there lives.....we stare.

Finish the trip off at Good and Plenty Restaurant....a local favorite.
Hey, that's not too bad of a vacation. I've been to Hershey half a dozen times myself when the tours were real, even got pulled aside for one of their taste tests. And you do know that Hershey's manufactures Cadbury, right? Noticed it on the wrapper the last time I ate one. I agree, though, it has a better taste than the plain Hershey's chocolate.

Anyway, do they still have The Comet there and the Super Dooper Looper? Oh, and the Rotor? I left a piece of myself at the park that day for that bastardous ride. :wink: Have a great time!
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Really.......I have to look....I thought Nestles made Cadbury.....I will fell better in Hershey does.......
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

As far as I know, Cadbury is an independent company from either Nestle or Hershey. Cadbury Schweppes plc is floated on both the UK and US stock markets. They are based in Bournville, Birmingham, England, and date back to early the 1800s. They also own a load of other famous brands too (including Bassetts of Liquorice Allsort fame).

More stuff here: http://www.cadburyschweppes.com/EN/Brands/History/

(From the Googling Elf...)
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

ptruz wrote: The Hershey Company (chocolate) has an amusement park and a faux "factory tour."
Need a 'drooling Homer Simpson' smilie at this point! :D
Eat some chocolate for me please!
I prefer Cadbury myself.
Driven past the factory in Bournville - they do tours, but never been inside (yet....)

Son no.2 goes to nursery just next to the Mars factory..... No wonder he's just learned to say 'choccowat' :D
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
webberg

Post by webberg »

Green and Blacks Organic - bring it on! :lol:

My kids had better have got me a BIG bar for Christmas or it's off to the Gulag for them!
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

webberg wrote:Green and Blacks Organic - bring it on! :lol:
Seconded...... :D

You should try this bunch as well - they have a branch down Windsor High Street (not that I'm a regular in there or anything :wink: ) http://www.montezumas.co.uk/

I am particulatly partial to their dried mango strips in white chocolate, chilli and lime.... Sounds strange but is in fact sublime......

Actually - next time we have a meet how about a chocolate shop rather than a pub! :D Let's have a Free Spirits Cadbury trip! :D
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
webberg

Post by webberg »

Well Bourneville is in the Midlands somewhere isn't it?

We have a Hotel Chocolat just round the corner. They do dark chocolate with chilli's.

Tastes great but too much and you need to put the toilet roll in the fridge. :twisted:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Mike is correct, Bournville is a Brummie suberb.
He's also correct stating there's no direct link with Hershey & definitely not Neslte.

As I'm literally 3 minutes down the road I'd second a visit, and help organise if required.
On a good day we can smell the chocolate.

Now I think there's a mini-roll in the fridge somewhere ....
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

someone should get some footage of rowing in front of some Hershey's Chocolate Icon.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

In my past life used to consult to Cadburys.

One of those awful dilemas -

I WANT to be on the project because it involves almost unlimited chocolate eating

I DON'T WANT to be on the project because the client is a nightmare.

And they are definitely a British firm. NOT Hershey at all (unless they own that brand!)
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Stan

Post by Stan »

Actually Cadburys and Hersheys have quite a lot in common - both companies are famous this year for having Salmonella in their products for example.
pb times
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Schweppes#Merger

This only pertains to the U.S. Cadbury.

"Although Cadbury Schweppes chocolate products have been sold in the U.S. since 1988 under the Cadbury trademark name, the chocolate itself has been manufactured by Hershey's and can be found in Hershey's chocolate stores."

I need to go out and get some about now. For some reason I'm craving chocolate. :P
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

BorisZ

Post by BorisZ »

Here is the order of chocolate rulers:
#1 Finnish FAZER
#2 Swedish Marabou
#3 Some of the Swiss ones
#4 some of the German ones
#5 Cadbury (as tastest last in Australia, a couple of years back..)
TomB

Post by TomB »

Could'nt agree more with you Boris. I am a big fan of chocolate and Fazer's is undoutedly the best I have tasted anywhere. Over the next few days a substantial amount will be eaten in this house! I would recommend the Fazer "Blue" but if you find a box of Fazer "Geisha" go for it....
BorisZ

Post by BorisZ »

:D :D :D I almost asked in my post for your opinion... and now, here you are...!! Two of 230 FS think FAZER is best so it's gotta be so!!
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

I love Chocolate. I eat it where ever I find it.

I don't know if "small batch" counts in this survey.....but....I Jersey City, NJ and in Staten Island, NY there is a chocolatiere name Lee Sims......ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!

Their is a website.......

At Easter arund my house.....well lets just say it's not pretty.

http://www.leesimschocolates.com
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Someone on this forum is a chocolatiere....who is it? Lets here her (I think it was a her) opinion.
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Just went on the Lee Sims Site and ordered a pound of chocolate covered cashews.......they are the best.

I did it via email as I did not see "the good stuff" on the menu of the website.

Hope they can comply.