Who's going on holiday, and a discussion on chocolate!

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Who's going on holiday, and a discussion on chocolate!

Post by webberg »

Things are a bit slow and in an effort to avoid reading more legislation, where are we all going on holiday?

we are off to sunny Cornwall (signal for a collapse in the weather in mid August) and the older kids are going to surf schoo for a week.

Other than that lots of sightseeing, walking, kiting, shooting and way too much food and beer. Unfortunately no erg where we are staying - shame.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Last day of term on Friday for me. Then three nights at luxury spa hotel next week in Yorkshire. And yes, I am sad, I have rung to check that they have an ergo. (I remember how I caught up with Gregor during his jaunt to the World Cup).

Then home for four weeks pottering about.

Then a week in Norfolk. No ergo there. I might pack it!

This is the great joy of teaching - long holidays (shame about the pay)!

Then back to the grindstone - long days of teaching and long evenings of marking...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Holiday

Post by mash »

Off to Fuerteventura in October for 2 weeks...hoping beyond hope that they have a concept 2 rower there otherwise I'll be rather cheesed off.

I may have to find a hotel that does so I can "gate crash"

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
G A Tait

Post by G A Tait »

Orkney
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Hols

Post by PSims »

Newcastle this week/next week.
Boating on Norfolk Broads in September.
On water, but no erg!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

2 weeks Dordogne + 1 week Brittany
Like Thomas says - the joy of being a teacher = the length of the holidays :D

No ergo on campsites though - so have to run :( and swim :D
...oh & drink wine to take mind off lack of ergo :wink:
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

I moved this to the Sanctuary (Forum for everything that has nothing to do with rowing).

No plans at the moment to go anywhere after our recent holiday in Berlin.

We are however thinking of moving home to live in Croatia or somewhere different for a while. If I've got 230 days off a year, then we might as well stay somewhere sunnier than the UK.
6'6" 1971
webberg

Teachers

Post by webberg »

So how many teachers do we have?

Thomas, Mash, JanetS .. any more?

Do teachers erg because they have the time or because being with children all day is like those last 500 metres of a 10k when you know that 1:55 will get you a PB?

My wife works in a school (not a teacher though) and she starts her long break on Friday. Muggins gets to travel in to London in the heat.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Re: Teachers

Post by JanetS »

webberg wrote:So how many teachers do we have?
Do teachers erg because they have the time or because being with children all day is like those last 500 metres of a 10k when you know that 1:55 will get you a PB?
erging is far less painful than marking coursework.....
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

America (Las Vegas) in October for 2 weeks. Staying with my brother. Visiting a friend in Cincinatti in the middle.
pb times
redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Off to Cyprus for two weeks in Sept...Ayia Napa :D :D
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

Leavng Cornwall for a week for a canal boat next week. Makes room for all the reat of you who keep us going for the rest of the yaer. Meeting In Barcelona in Sep - mayyet pack erg !

Alsitair
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

webberg wrote:Do teachers erg because they have the time or because being with children all day is like those last 500 metres of a 10k when you know that 1:55 will get you a PB?
In my case because I would rather be fit and fat than just fat. But it was nice today when my year 8's asked me if I had lost weight then gave me a round of applause for losing a stone. Girls' schools for you...

I love teaching - the rowing is my best and funnest way of getting fit and losing weight. If I row in the evenings it stuffs my marking, the key has been finding a time in the day to row - and I whizz home as soon as I can and do it then. I can then help out the kids to bed, cook dinner if it is my turn then start marking/preparing! Strangely, rowing has become "my" time. Not sure how pulling my guts out became "my" time but I am still enjoying it...
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Teachers

Post by mash »

I'm afraid that I'm not a teacher. I've thought about it but as the other teachers will attest the pay isn't the best but the holidays are good.

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

mash wrote:I'm afraid that I'm not a teacher.
Well as they say, "those that can, teach, those that can't do something else".
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

Thomas W-P wrote:
mash wrote:I'm afraid that I'm not a teacher.
Well as they say, "those that can, teach, those that can't do something else".
I'm not sure thats how I remember that particular quote but you are absolutely right about creating your owntime. I've creatred my erging time out of work time ( endless potential to fulfill workaholic tendencies) but I wopuld now rather spend that time sweating on the C2 than huddled over a PC. I think family appreciate me being around a bit more even if its just getting sweaty on an erg and then obsessing about exercise.

Best wishes

Alsiatir
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
webberg

Teaching and holidays

Post by webberg »

I have to admit that I envy the teachers. Not so much the holidays but the chance to shape a few minds to match my own prejudices.

I did look at converting a few years back but as I have no degree I would have had to do some type of foundation course first, then the training. At the time I couldn't afford a couple of years of no pay (young family etc) and had to stay with the day job.

My vision was to teach English at A level with some sports caoching on the side (I used to run a kids football team and have the badges and things). English because I had two fantastic tutors for my own A level studies and as the saying goes, "You never forget a great teacher".

Perhaps next year now that my wife is working again?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit

October

Post by PSims »

Hey Stan - you had better not pig out too much in Vegas - you've got the marathon to do when you get back!!! :twisted:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Stan

Post by Stan »

Paul - I think you will find the marathon :cry: (October) is before Vegas :D (November), not after :lol: . This was deliberate planning as doing a marathon after Vegas probably isnt on. Incidentally rowing is a dirty word in this section :wink:
pb times
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Ta ta for five days, tin box in Filey South Yorkshire beckons! And just as the weather takes a turn for the worst. Still the wife over the moon about the fact the next door camp site allegedly has a rowing machine :D

Have a good week one and all, hope you are all still here when I get back :wink:
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Hello from Croatia folks - just thought I'd say hello from this internet cafe in Split.

Jings it's boiling here - it would be a nightmare to row in this weather although I'm sure a good sweat would help from time to time.

Don't think I'll bother looking at the metre board until I get back - it'll just depress me.

By for now.
6'6" 1971
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Hols

Post by plummy »

Just booked a mediterranean Greek Island cruise for next August with the wife and sprog (and the wife's sister and her family). Going on the Ocean Village which I went on last year around Spain/Italy. 'twas brilliant - the only let down (apart from from a huge storm that had everyone a pukin' for one day) - was no erg in the gym!!
I had words but to no avail

Avast ye land lubbers

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Stan

Post by Stan »

Sounds great Plummy - and plenty of time to nag them into getting a c2 just for you.
pb times
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

I've just booked a jolly (opps sorry dear I mean weekend away) with a mate to Boston at the end of May next year. I know it's a way off but I'm so excited. On the lash in 'Cheers'
The only downer is the wife and kids are already composing a bloody shopping list for me!!! :roll:
In and out of 'Victorias secrets' and 'Claires Accessories' etc is not my idea of shopping. Whilst in and out of various bars is shopping for different types of beer :D
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
webberg

Post by webberg »

Alistair, my holiday is not that long. We leave on Friday and are back the following Saturday. It's a long way though and I suspect that I'll be not posting anything for at least 10/12 days.

Presently you're about 40k ahead which for me is a week or so or rowing. Assuming you're fit and healthy (I can recommend a very good book about back health written by a physio from NZ) and get a jump on me next week, that puts you about 90k ahead when I get back to the erg.

Hmmmmmmm - let's say that if we both stay fit then around Christmas time the board metres might be very close. :lol:

Just booked a holiday in Cornwall for next year as well. We shall be in the Padstow area (kids like surfing). We'll be there in the second/third weeks of August.

So, I bet you one pint of Cornwall's finest that I can get ahead of you by Christmas and another that I can stay there until the end of the season. We can arrange to meet up in England's fairest county next Summer to settle up? :P

We'll make allowances if either of us gets injured but not for holidays or voluntary breaks.

What do you think?

To keep the subject of this thread, on Friday we fly to the Maldives to celebrate a significant birthday. Can't wait (for the holiday). 8)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904