Why?

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

cweed
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: Why?

Post by cweed »

Mat wrote:Why is it that the person in front of me at the checkout always seems to be surprised when the cashier asks for payment??

They spend far too long packing their shopping and then look shocked when told how much it will cost. Then they have to find their handbag in the bottom of their trolley, then find a purse, before deciding to pay by cash or card....

...and all the time, I'm looking at the queue at the next checkout and thinking - I knew I should have joined that one

Is it just me?
webberg wrote:Why does the woman in front of you in the coffee shop order a "decaf, skinny latte" (what's the point) and then look surprised when asked to pay.

Five minutes of searching for purse - whilst not putting down her phone - whilst we all wait.

Can it have been that much of a surprise that she had to pay? #-o
I am noticing a familiar theme on this thread. The obvious solution is to travel with men who whip out their wallets and pay for everything in a timely fashion. Please raise your hand if you are willing to accept this duty. :lol:
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
Scoop
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Scoop »

Yes. One-Nil to Christine 8)

Here is my why.

Why has my wife brought home a huge sweet jar filled to the brim with Maltesers tonight? #-o
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

100 year supply Scoop? :lol: :lol:

Bill & Trish Wright

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Mat
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

cweed wrote: Please raise your hand if you are willing to accept this duty. :lol:
I was led to believe that this was part of the marriage vows, but didn't like to mention that I didn't remember that bit for fear of being accused of not paying attention #-o
Scoop wrote:Why has my wife brought home a huge sweet jar filled to the brim with Maltesers tonight?
I generally find that in such circumstances, if I'm out of the house for more than an hour, the temptation disappears - along with the chocolates :lol:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

billwright wrote:100 year supply Scoop?
NOOOOOOOOH! 100 minutes in my hands :oops: #-o
Mat wrote:I generally find that in such circumstances, if I'm out of the house for more than an hour, the temptation disappears - along with the chocolates
I'll have to buy your family off you Matt :lol:

'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
webberg

Post by webberg »

Re the man paying for everything - my first wife certainly taught me that this is true :?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

... do people crash my car without letting me know it?

There are insurance companies to deal with that, no need for hit and run :oops:
Last edited by Grobi on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

cweed

Post by cweed »

Oh Peter is that your sporty little car?!? Bummer.

Someone dinged my van at dance (where I work, all the parents know me, and we all pretty much recognize each others cars and vans) and did not have the guts to tell me. Very annoying.
whizzer
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model B

Post by whizzer »

Not everyone has insurance cover thats the problem.
50 y.o - 178 cm - 77kgs (up 2kg since 19/05/10) .
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

In Germany it's compulsory to have a motor liability insurance which covers damage you cause third parties.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

whizzer
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model B

Post by whizzer »

It is in Britain Peter but there are some who chose not to bother or are banned from driving but continue to do so.
50 y.o - 178 cm - 77kgs (up 2kg since 19/05/10) .
Iain

Post by Iain »

Grobi wrote:... do people crash my car without letting me know it?

There are insurance companies to deal with that, no need for hit and run :oops:
My experience is that your premium for the following year (even after the full protected no claims) seems to increase by approximately the amount of the claim. It would be cheaper if they just lent you the money officially!

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
cweed

Post by cweed »

Why do bathing suits come with ridiculously tight elastic around the leg openings?
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

cweed wrote:Why do bathing suits come with ridiculously tight elastic around the leg openings?
:-# :oops:
Mat

Post by Mat »

colin bradley wrote:
cweed wrote:Why do bathing suits come with ridiculously tight elastic around the leg openings?
:lol: :lol:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
cweed

Post by cweed »

colin bradley wrote:
Colin darling you might be losing points!

Well here is the real issue. Quality control. This is one of my pet peeves with apparel. I ordered 3 suits, all the same size, same style leg opening, yet only one fits? The difference in the leg opening elastic to these "same" sized suits is about 1", yes I measured. It would be nice to order stuff and have the sizing consistent across the board.
webberg

Post by webberg »

I once worked for a company which supplied uniforms to its staff. These were in the conventional sizes but came from three different manufacturers. It used to drive those responsible for distribution and fitting etc absolutely nuts that the same size uniform was actually different.

Their other bug bear was that the staff would order in "aspirational" sizes.

This was a particular issue with the male staff who would not order trousers over a certain waist size but always order extra big chest size jackets.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
cweed

Post by cweed »

Why does my daughter consistently break her ankle the day after I mail off her soccer camp registration and payment?
SimonJ
Rower and forum addict...

Post by SimonJ »

cweed wrote:Why does my daughter consistently break her ankle the day after I mail off her soccer camp registration and payment?
Not another breakage - that's pretty rotten luck. Hopefully they don'tcome in three's!! [-o<
How are you going to find time to get your training done if your family keep breaking themselves???

Simon
Simon 43, 5ft9, lwt

Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Sorry to hear that Christine :(

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

... is everyone so infatuated with bloody "celebrities"?

This week alone (in the UK) we've had:

Wayne Rooney (football/soccer "ace" getting paid £90k a WEEK) with a gorgeous wife and simply can't keep it in his trousers when a "lady of the night" happens along
Ricky Hatton - World beating boxer (until recently), worth millions, caught snorting cocaine on camera
Robbie Williams - "singer" on a concert tonight to raise money for armed forces heroes - can't even remember the worfds to his own songs (and a tad drunk I think)!!!

All of the above are huge role models for younger kids - great examples guys, well done.

Half of the BBC schedule will be given over to either the latest series of Strictly Come Dancing (Dance with the Stars in the USA I think) or adverts for it or follow ups, or news of it, or gossip from it etc etc and all because a bunch of has-beens and nobodies are going to ponce around a dance floor to a stage managed bunch of "experts" who, by definition of "good TV" MUST NOT get on with each other.

The X-Factor - a program where everyone wants to BE a celebrity now matter how lacking in talent they patently are and some lap up this "sh*te" for week after week full of people who are just talentless baffoons because it's so BAD - yes, we now watch TV for people to be awful and the more awful the better! Anyone so much as hits a single big note in key gets a standing ovation #-o
(I'll concede the last couple of shows may have the 10 people out of 100,000 that actually can sing a bit on show)

95% of "celebs" have nothing to offer the planet (Paris Hilton/Jordan for Pete's sake!) and should therefore not be paid millions to be "only famous for being famous".

There's a gazillion hard working people out there far more deserving of the average Joe Public's hard earned money and attention.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

I have to agree with you Dave but I don't know if our lone voices will do much to change society. My daughter would sabotage my erg if I banned X Factor in the house.

Celebs are very closely followed by the 'News-hungry' press. I think all of these vices used to exist but were rarely reported in the past. In turn the rather impressionable public, hungry for 'news' and secretly craving fame and fortune becomes addicted to whatever the latest gossip happens to be. Human happiness is often derived from witnessing someone elses misery (deplorable but true). Sean Lock did a funny sketch about the British habit of cheering in pubs and restaurants when somebody breaks a plate or a glass. His analysis of it was basically "Hooray. Someone's messed up. Wasn't me!"

I find the press' clever use of words and phrases very objectionable.I remember an article in The Sun about Greg Rusedski. In an interview he talked about how his father had made him practise lobbing a tennis ball up thousands of times in order to find the sweet spot on his racket when he served. The article itself was fine but the headline - 'GREG RUSEDSKI - MY FATHER TURNED ME INTO A RIGHT T*SSER!'

'Nuff sed.

cweed

Post by cweed »

plummy wrote:There's a gazillion hard working people out there far more deserving of the average Joe Public's hard earned money and attention.
Dave you are absolutely right. Another thing that leaves me asking why? "Reporting" on celebrities kids. Who cares what Suri Cruise is wearing, or what sort of haircuts Angie and Brad's kids have?
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Fantastic rant Plummy, cant argue with anything you say. Its a source of great personal pride that I have never watched a single episode of big brother O:) , and a source of great personal shame that I have been known to watch the odd episode of Im a celebrity get me out of here. I could argue its the sadistic side of me that makes me want to watch them suffer but thats not really good enough. :oops:
pb times
cweed

Post by cweed »

Why would a 10 year old child brush melted butter on every orange in the fruit bowl?

And then lie about it with the evidence right there?!?!?!

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)