Oh Calcutta!!

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Oh Calcutta!!

Post by paulgould »

Interesting result in yesterday’s Calcutta Cup match.
The majority of the England team “took the knee” before kickoff and stayed there for most of the game😃😃
Scotland dominated all aspects of the game and should have won by a bigger margin.
The other 6N games were also interesting- even though it was only against Italy I thought France looked really dangerous and were the team of the weekend.
O’Mahonys stupidity cost Ireland any chance of victory- you can’t play 70 minutes with only 14 men and expect to win against a decent Welsh side - the Irish halfback pair who only a few years ago were the worlds best now look to be past it.
I think this years comp is going to be the most exciting one for a while and I don’t have any idea yet who I would put my money on
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Oh Calcutta!!

Post by Wolfmiester »

France for me.
England were dreadful, too many Sarries players with no game time. I think Farrell at 10 is no longer his best position either.
Not to take anything away from Scotland, they were superb for 80 min in all areas and should have won by more.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Wolfmiester wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:33 am France for me.
England were dreadful, too many Sarries players with no game time. I think Farrell at 10 is no longer his best position either.
Not to take anything away from Scotland, they were superb for 80 min in all areas and should have won by more.
I don't really rate Farrell, but then I don't think Ford is much good either - they are fine against a weak opponent behind a dominant forward pack but as soon as the forwards come under pressure they go missing - I don't think Farrell should be captain either - the England discipline is really poor and he is one of the worst culprits - I would go for one of the loosies - Curry maybe.

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Paul, as hinted on the PP thread ... lets face it we are all a little bias when it comes to England rugby (or any other sport for that matter).
I'm a fan, being English, everyone else hates us. We know that.
So lets start by saying that Wales were worthy winners, 100%
At 24-24 England should have gone on to win. They were playing the better rugby for a brief period in the 2nd half.
Then they gave away penalty after penalty again when there was no need at all.
Their discipline let them down and Wales rightly took advantage.

With all that said, the officiating in the first half was abysmal. The first try especially a complete joke at international level.
So who knows what would have happened if England had eked out a 15-8 lead...
First time I've turned off with 10 minutes to go, it was painful :(
I also turned my phone off!!
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Wolfmiester wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:24 pm Paul, as hinted on the PP thread ... lets face it we are all a little bias when it comes to England rugby (or any other sport for that matter).
I'm a fan, being English, everyone else hates us. We know that.
So lets start by saying that Wales were worthy winners, 100%
At 24-24 England should have gone on to win. They were playing the better rugby for a brief period in the 2nd half.
Then they gave away penalty after penalty again when there was no need at all.
Their discipline let them down and Wales rightly took advantage.

With all that said, the officiating in the first half was abysmal. The first try especially a complete joke at international level.
So who knows what would have happened if England had eked out a 15-8 lead...
First time I've turned off with 10 minutes to go, it was painful :(
I also turned my phone off!!
I have to agree with most of what you are saying - that first try should never have stood and up to 60 minutes when the scores were tied Eng were the better side, but as you said, thereafter their indiscipline cost them again.
As bad as Gauzere was in that first half, I was glad to see he was wise to Itoje's antics and rightfully penalised him 5 times - no side can afford that many indiscretions by one player alone and I fully stand by my earlier assessment of him.
England are also doing themselves no favours by retaining Farrell as captain - he is a poor leader and communicator and the refs don't like him, so all the 50-50 calls are going to go against him.
We had a similar problem when Matfield captained our side for a while - he used to badger the refs and turned them against us - that sort of thing can cost you games, especially the tight ones.
On the bright side, you have never lost to Italy or Japan, which we've done before :oops: :oops: :oops:

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Not wanting to get caught up in the fray, but it's strange to think that the England Ireland game may well be the decider as to who finishes second last in this year's 6 Nations. I'd have to fancy England to win at Twickenham, but the way this season has gone, who knows?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg