Films

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Films

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:The King's Speech - truly excellent film. =D> ^O^

It's rare that a film will hold my attention so much so that I never look at my watch even once. Given no space aliens, huge CGI, ladies in bikinis and massive explosions, this was an even greater feat.

I strongly suggest Messrs Firth (certainly) and Rush (probably) should make a little space on their mantel pieces ready for Oscar night.

Go see it

Plummy
I went to see it the weekend before last. I agree with everything you say.

This weekend, I went to see Black Swan. Natalie Portman was great, but I wouldn't say the movie would be to everyone's taste.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Went to see True Grit - very good film and far superior to the John Wayne version. Great acting from Bridges and the young lady (forgot her name)
pb times
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Went to Source Code on the weekend and loved it, can't think of a thing wrong with it, perfect movie.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Off to True Grit tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

We watched Enchanted with our daughters through this week. Great for little girls, not bad for big boys...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Stan

Post by Stan »

Yeah I saw source code at the weekend. Very enjoyable film.
Also seen Unknown and Limitless and really enjoyed both of them as well.
pb times
kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

Went to Hanna on Saturday. Lots of crazy fun, very violent very good and the Chemical Brothers sound track works with the ferocious action scenes perfectly.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

I bit the bullet and watched Mamma Mia on Saturday night (whilst too tired to move after the FM) - proved to me what I already thought: ABBA's song writing was brilliant and stands the test of time and the rest was utter pish.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
damian.griffin
Rower and forum addict...

Films

Post by damian.griffin »

Plummy - you'll never get that time back
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

plummy wrote:I bit the bullet and watched Mamma Mia on Saturday night (whilst too tired to move after the FM) - proved to me what I already thought: ABBA's song writing was brilliant and stands the test of time and the rest was utter pish.
Im with you on that one Dave however I did it at the theatre and I have to admit that I really enjoyed it :oops:

Before any one asks I was the one that wasnt dancing in the aisles :evil:
41 yrs, HWT, If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

jainser wrote:
Gregor Andrews wrote:I'm trying to work my way through the IMDB top 250 films. Watched about 215 of them now, lots of REALLY old ones left and some old foreign films. Some good ones there though.
WOW - good going! Do you buy them all? I'll have to have a look and see how many I've got through.....
I've only bought a few of them, the rest I've downloaded as a bit-torrent and watched on my telly (via my PS3)

I'm up to 230 of them now and counting...
6'6" 1971
cweed
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by cweed »

andy walls wrote:
plummy wrote:I bit the bullet and watched Mamma Mia on Saturday night (whilst too tired to move after the FM) - proved to me what I already thought: ABBA's song writing was brilliant and stands the test of time and the rest was utter pish.
Im with you on that one Dave however I did it at the theatre and I have to admit that I really enjoyed it :oops:

Before any one asks I was the one that wasnt dancing in the aisles :evil:
Oh was that you in the shiny disco pants? :wink:
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
JonathanA
True Free Spirit

Post by JonathanA »

Agree with Andy about Mamma Mia. The film was bearable (Piers Brosnan... singing?) but the show was enjoyable (I don't do dancing either).

Whilst on the subject of poor singing... I saw Sweeny Todd (Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter) last week. Not recommended.
JonathanA | more pedalling than pulling at the moment
Stan

Post by Stan »

I didnt want to enjoy Mamma Mia but couldnt help doing so in the end. There seems to be an infectious joy in it. Got to agree with Jonathan about Piers Brosnan singing though :~c
pb times
plummy

Post by plummy »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - same as most of the others, just didn't light my fire at all. They pretty much all blur into one - passed the time I suppose

Unstoppable - pretty good high paced action with Denzel. Rattled along nicely but quite short (not surprising really given the plot as a whole but credit for not padding the story out with some sappy back love story or similar).

Salt - started a bit shakey, got a bit silly and then pulled itself up and turned out to be half decent.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonathanA
True Free Spirit

Post by JonathanA »

This week's offering was 'The Road'. I read the book recently which was very dark. Funnily enough so was the film. Dark that is, not funny. Not really for me.

Also watched 'The Notebook' at the weekend. One of those I didn't expect to enjoy but it is so well done I couldn't help it. And Rachel McAdams...
JonathanA | more pedalling than pulling at the moment
Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Daffy »

The Bridesmaids - made me laugh - and everyone else in the cinema laugh too. Can't be bad!
plummy

Post by plummy »

Watched Sex and the City 2 last night - that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back! What a godawful bucket of cr*p - how do they get away with making stuff like that?

Then watched - Piranha! Another load of old tosh but comedy gore can work at a base level when you set your expectation bar level very low. Passable load of silliness (and Kelly Brook in a bikini did help raise the bar).

It seems the way to make a movie these days is to spend the entire budget on making/marketing it as 3D and base the entire plot on throwing things at the audience to get the "3D effect" - gets really tedious when you have no intention of watching it in 3D in the first place.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Went to see Super 8 tonight. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away by it. I think my expectations exceeded the reality. Lots of echoes of ET.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by gregsmith01748 »

The Town: Highly recommended. Basically an old fashioned gangster film, set in a rough neighborhood near Boston. Very well written and the nuts and bolts details on bank robbery were fascinating.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
plummy

Post by plummy »

The Fighter - Christian Bale acting the socks off everyone else on the screen. Decent enough film (some dodgy boxing though) but Bale takes some beating (excuse the pun).
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

For some reason I avoided The Social Network - somehow I just didn't fancy it - big mistake, having now seen it, what a cracking film. Thoroughly enjoyed it and a belting performance by Jesse Eisenberg, well deserving of the Oscar nomination
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:For some reason I avoided The Social Network - somehow I just didn't fancy it - big mistake, having now seen it, what a cracking film. Thoroughly enjoyed it and a belting performance by Jesse Eisenberg, well deserving of the Oscar nomination
Not to mention the fact that it is the only movie I can think of that features a scene where two of the main characters are rowing indoors. :fswink:
plummy

Post by plummy »

Paul Victory wrote:
plummy wrote:For some reason I avoided The Social Network - somehow I just didn't fancy it - big mistake, having now seen it, what a cracking film. Thoroughly enjoyed it and a belting performance by Jesse Eisenberg, well deserving of the Oscar nomination
Not to mention the fact that it is the only movie I can think of that features a scene where two of the main characters are rowing indoors. :fswink:
And played by a single actor! (apart from the rowing scene where they digitally planted the twin's face on a body double)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:
Paul Victory wrote:
And played by a single actor! (apart from the rowing scene where they digitally planted the twin's face on a body double)
I hadn't realised that. No wonder they looked so alike!
jainser
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Watched 'Unknown' the other day - very good I thought.
Also 'Water for Elephants' - that was painful! Titanic meets Billy Smarts
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking