Films

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Hey big John - I'm a massive Firefly/Serenity fan too.

I agree with Graham that the more interesting aspects of the book were bypassed to make the film of Starship Troopers, but then that usually happens, doesn't it. Afterall, film is a very different medium (and there is effectively far less time for the deeper aspects).

Try reading "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep" and then watching Blade Runner (normal release OR Director's cut). There's an amazing amount more depth in the book (although it is very weird).

Another book which got butchered on the way to the big screen in Frank Herbert's Dune - one of the all time classics. Badly dumbed down for the cinema version, although some of the characters make it through intact. But what was all that boll0cks about weirding modules???

Other interesting films:

The Abyss - But watch the Director's cut - full version - it is COMPLETELY different to the release version, and is a perfect illustration of how badly the point of a film gets lost between the Director's version and the cinema release.

Also, John, check out Tremors and Leviathan, both low budget movies from 1990, but entertaining enough despite that. Finally, go watch Event Horizon - think you'll like that.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

Sci-Fi....mostly unwatchable! If it didn't happen or at least have a chance of happening........then it had better be funny!

Sci Fi........UGH!

I'm probably not smart enough!
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

ptruz wrote:Sci-Fi....mostly unwatchable! If it didn't happen or at least have a chance of happening........then it had better be funny!

Sci Fi........UGH!

I'm probably not smart enough!
I agree, Peter. I love sci-fi only when it's done very well. Movies like The Abyss(Director's Cut, as Mike mentioned) are so good that you are left feeling a little depressed, knowing most of these events just don't happen really.

Thought Firefly was decent, but it wasn't given a chance. Much preferred Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel was fine too.

I have a collection of over a 1000 films that I'd recommend but that is for the off-season. We do have one of those coming up, right? Right?!!! :P
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

Tom Barrick wrote:Thought Firefly was decent, but it wasn't given a chance. Much preferred Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel was fine too.

I have a collection of over a 1000 films that I'd recommend but that is for the off-season. We do have one of those coming up, right? Right?!!! :P
Not if Meterboard/Dr Erg have anything to do with it :D .

I like Buffy as well (I found out about Firefly thru Buffy) I prefer Firefly though, but both are great fun . I only saw a little of angel, much prefered Buffy .

Thanks Mike will take a look at those fillms, I've seen Event Horizon a good while ago and didn't think too much of it I think . Blade Runners an interesting one though . I've seen the Abyss (probably teatrical version), the liquid air/oxygen part is cool .
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Have to agree that Dune as a film is very poor. Sting as leading man - I don't think so!

2001 remains a touchstone for SF film. Kubrik had it about right especially the fact that there is no noise in space. How many films with spaceships do you see with engine noise - bl00dy all of them!

All the sequels to the original got gradually worse though.

Matrix is a piece of advanced Kung Fu nonsense and again ruined a perfectly good SF book. Every time I see Keanu Reeves in that long leather coat I think of 'Allo 'Allo.

(For our non UK cousins, this was a sit com about a bar in France during the German occupation that was apparently hilarious although the 10 minutes of it I watched was obviously the only time there were no laughs).

I did like Chocolat. I love films that show up social pretentions.

Many years ago I also saw Rollerball. That was quite good.

Last of the Mohicans has some great moments as well and doesn't seek to hide the dirty and messy aspects of the fighting or the politics. Again though not a patch on the book.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

webberg wrote:Have to agree that Dune as a film is very poor. Sting as leading man - I don't think so!

2001 remains a touchstone for SF film. Kubrik had it about right especially the fact that there is no noise in space. How many films with spaceships do you see with engine noise - bl00dy all of them!

All the sequels to the original got gradually worse though.

Matrix is a piece of advanced Kung Fu nonsense and again ruined a perfectly good SF book. Every time I see Keanu Reeves in that long leather coat I think of 'Allo 'Allo.

(For our non UK cousins, this was a sit com about a bar in France during the German occupation that was apparently hilarious although the 10 minutes of it I watched was obviously the only time there were no laughs).

I did like Chocolat. I love films that show up social pretentions.

Many years ago I also saw Rollerball. That was quite good.

Last of the Mohicans has some great moments as well and doesn't seek to hide the dirty and messy aspects of the fighting or the politics. Again though not a patch on the book.
Graham, I'd be most impressed if the Rollerball you're speaking of is from 1975, not 2002. :) And an excellent point on Kubrik. 2001 was great, although I admittedly took to 2010 as well and I know most didn't. Should we start the discussion on Alien and Aliens 2? :twisted:
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

johnglynn
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

I enjoyed 2001 and 2010 . Good stories . Though I found the special effects really showing there age in 2001 .

I much prefer Aliens (2), the special effects and computer displays in Alien (1) are a turn off to me . Also I think the story is better in 2 .
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

webberg wrote: I did like Chocolat. I love films that show up social pretentions.

ONE OF MY FAVORITES....Uh Oh....Chick Flick.....sorry...
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

I recently watched the dvds of the Sci Fi channel versions of Dune and Children of Dune - they were far superior to the old film version.
Loved 2001 and quite liked 2010. Hated the Matrix films. Alien and Aliens were outstanding but the series fell apart after that.

The best film I have recently seen is Last King of Scotland - superb performance from the gentleman playing Idi Amin (whose name escapes me at the moment).
pb times
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

LAST KING OF SCOTLAND!!! Now that was a good film......it happened!
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

His name is Forest Whitaker and he has been nominated for an Oscar for this portrayal of Idi Amin
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Tom, I confess that the Rollerball I saw was the 1975 original release. I was a mere boy of 18 at the time.

I was also dragged along to see the latest Bond last Friday. Not a great Bond fan as pages here will testify. This one though has gone some way to refreshing the genre. Not so many gadgets and toys and more of the in your face nasty violence.

I am not convinced totally but will await the next one and approach it with an open mind.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

ptruz wrote:LAST KING OF SCOTLAND!!! Now that was a good film......it happened!
Never seen it - I loved the book though. :D
6'6" 1971
jainser

Post by jainser »

Watched 'Sin City' the other night. Very good. Different style of filming to anything I've seen before. Thought the characters were great. Mickey Rourke was very good, Bruce (Willis) was good and it was great to see Rutger Hauer again (also in Batman Begins) Thought he hit the jackpot with the original (and best) Hitcher movie. Then he done a couple of real turkeys then did a load more really bad turkeys............
Like the fact that a lot of folks turned up in the film in smaller parts.
Powers Booth, Michael Madsen, Josh Hartnett & Michael Duncan Clarke to name but a few.............excellent
and not forgetting Jessica Alba in THAT cowboy outfit - Black knickers and black leather (studded) chaps - What a combination :shock: =P~ \:D/
Oh why didn't they offer that roll to Kate.. :cry:
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

I have bad news for fellow Kate lovers. Picture in Heat. Massive bald spot (on head). Being perfect I am not willing to take damaged goods [-(
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
jainser

Post by jainser »

Been on at Reet for years trying to convice her to watch the Star Wars films.
I put the first one on (4th one but you know what I mean!) and she loved it!! Completely hooked now, in fact the whole family is.
Although watching it with the spuds is always interesting, so many questions. Never hit the pause button so many times (stopping the film to explain what is happening).
The look of suprise when the famous "Luke, I'm your father" line came out was priceless
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Star Wars Episodes IV-VI Cracking films. Have the DVD box sets with added bits. Truly great films. I'm afraid Episode I and II are complete and utter Sh!te. III was passable, did explain alot. None of the films were ever going to get the leading men and women oscar nominations but Sir George spolit it by over egging the special effects.

2001. Watched it over and over again. Although visually stunning I with small brain didn't get the monolith bit at all. Had to go onto the web. Great site explained the whole film and Kubrick's vision. Now I get it.

Just need Debbie does Dallas explaining :shock:
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Gooner,

The plot goes down like this............. :shock:
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Jessica-Red

HOT FUZZ

Post by Jessica-Red »

This is one for you Mr Gooner-HOT FUZZ-very funny
I thought of you sometimes whilst watching!!!!!

you may have a different opinion of it as an insider but I thought it was gigglemaking!
Carole Sergeant
Stan

Post by Stan »

I went to see Hot Fuzz yesterday and I enjoyed the true to life insight into the Gooners daily life :lol:
Definitely recommend it for a laugh.
pb times
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Id love to see DS Gooner running abt armed with 65 different firearms at once and doing donuts in a special HOTFUZZ patrol car!!!!

can you please oblige please Gooner??? please please pretty please
:D
Carole Sergeant
MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

Also went to see Hot Fuzz yesterday, and found it very entertaining. :lol:

Definitely recommended if you need a laugh.

Max
Maxim Devereaux
32, 6'1", less than 100kgs if I'm lucky

PBs:

Designed for living; built for erging
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

There is a video in existence of my colleagues in HotFuzz type shambly action. two baddies robbing a bank, come out of bank, onto two motorbikes with £145000. Cue gunship mounts pavement and in 10 pin bowling parlance gets a strike. Bikes and baddies everywhere and chaos reigns :D
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Fantastic!!! can you YOUTUBE it or is it SECRET!!!!!
:D
Carole Sergeant
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

If it ended up on Youtube I'd get the sack :shock:

Wait until BIRC and bring lap top :D

(For inputting our times obviously)