Films

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Films

Post by plummy »

Watched Green Zone and was mostly disappointed. One of those films that you watch and instantly forget. I think Matt Damon was awesome as Bourne but Bourne - this ain't.

Caught a sizeable chunk of a film on Sky called The Mist (based on a Stephen King Novel) and after thinking "this'll be dreadfull" it turned out to be rather good to be honest - well done for the pleasant surprise on that one.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
whizzer
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model B

Post by whizzer »

I agree with David's comments re. Green Zone. Not very subtle.
Shame as Greengrass did a great job with the Bourne trilogy.

Had to watch Twilight New moon at the weekend. So slow. :(
50 y.o - 178 cm - 77kgs (up 2kg since 19/05/10) .
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

In NZ I go to a friend's house each week and we watch SciFi - generally alternating between the worst and the best.

Last week we watched absolutely the worst film I have ever seen, and I want to warn you about it. It is the worst rated SciFi film on IMDB. It is much, much worse than that. It left me reeling at its awfulness. Possibly brain damaged. It was so far below "so bad it is funny" that I wanted to weep. I am still in shock.

So, if someone for a joke says come and watch "Ultra Warrior", politely decline.

I think the best we have seen is Zombieland (though not sure if that is SciFi - generally the classification for SciFi is steam and chains)
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
plummy

Post by plummy »

Toy Story 3 - usual top drawer Pixar genius. I saw it in 3D (which I'm not sure about re quality of image i.e. two pairs of specs - though the 3D was very enhancing in other ways.

Paranormal Activity - for a film that alledgedly cost $11.000 it's very, very good - though I didn't jump or have any sleepless nights (unlike my daughter when she saw it at the cinema)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - almost very good. Not one for the kids/family as a bit brutal in places but lacked an element of suspense and a decent score to add some umph (I suspect that, and the fact that it's Swedish with duubing or subtitles is why it's being re-made).

Next up is either Splice or Inception - probably Splice
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

plummy wrote:The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - almost very good. Not one for the kids/family as a bit brutal in places but lacked an element of suspense and a decent score to add some umph (I suspect that, and the fact that it's Swedish with duubing or subtitles is why it's being re-made).
That's interesting to hear - I've recently finished reading the trilogy, which I devoured within a matter of just a week or so. Excellently written, and certainly full of the suspense that the film appears to miss. Just a shame that the author died before the books were even published, so no chance of more to come. Sounds like I should give the film a miss though :roll:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Jon
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Jon »

Went to see Toy Story 3 (in 3D) at The Old Market Hall in Shrewsbury Saturday. Actually, I'm not (that) sad... was a day out for the family. Would perhaps reconsider taking a three year old into a movie which requires 3D glasses. That said, she still seemed to enjoy it.

Consider going to see Inception, though probably whilst on holiday (grandparents coming along too, so free baby sitting) :)

Rowing for health
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

We went to Salt last week because Inception was sold out. It was pretty good for the first half--a lot like one of the Bourne's. But then the second half just went right out of control and turned into some kind of Goldfinger parody complete with save the world from the evil Russians stuff.

The next weekend we went to Inception and I loved it--like the first Matrix without all the mumbo jumbo lectures.
plummy

Post by plummy »

Inception - best film of the year for me by some distance. Anyone considering it should make it a definite "to do"

Edge of Darkness (Mel Gibson) was OK but although it's only a week since I watched it, I can barely remember much of the plot

Harry Brown (Michael Caine plays ageing Marine taking on thugs on a run down housing estate). Slow to start, picks up quite a bit in the middle and falls apart at the end. Although deliberately underplayed I'm sure so it doesn't come out looking like "Taken" or any other Hollywood vigilante movie, it was mostly forgettable
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Went to see Knight and Day on Saturday. Good film, not brilliant, but good "popcorn fare".
I was debating about Inception. I will take Plummys advice and go and see it.
pb times
plummy

Post by plummy »

Caught a film last night as I was channel hopping. Not a new one and one I have avoided owing to the less than glowing critiques - Deuce Bigolow, Male Gigolo....

I lowered the bar to, well, floor level and expected to be channel hopping again very soon:

Infantile and fairly purile yes - absolutely laughed my nuts off.

Now I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but I enjoyed it so don't care really

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
whizzer
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model B

Post by whizzer »

Paranormal Activity.
Made me feel a little uneasy. Quite well put together I thought.
50 y.o - 178 cm - 77kgs (up 2kg since 19/05/10) .
Huw Thomas

Post by Huw Thomas »

Mat wrote:
plummy wrote:The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - almost very good. Not one for the kids/family as a bit brutal in places but lacked an element of suspense and a decent score to add some umph (I suspect that, and the fact that it's Swedish with duubing or subtitles is why it's being re-made).
That's interesting to hear - I've recently finished reading the trilogy, which I devoured within a matter of just a week or so. Excellently written, and certainly full of the suspense that the film appears to miss. Just a shame that the author died before the books were even published, so no chance of more to come. Sounds like I should give the film a miss though :roll:
No the film sticks quite well to the books - with some exceptions (the relationship of Blomkvist with his editor is missing completely)

Like you the I devoured the books - but the film is satisfactory and worth renting :fsbgrin:

I also enjoyed Invictus and The Bucket list - I'm a definite Morgan Freeman fan!

Huw
Aged 61, 182 cm 80 kg.
Ut2 130-137 (1:59+) ut1 138-151 (1:53+) AT 152-161 (1:48+) TR 162-171 (1:38+) AN 172+ (<1:38)
plummy

Post by plummy »

The Book of Eli - post apocalyptic time passer at best. All a bit silly and not worth much of a shout.

Invictus - slow start had me worried but got there by the end. Nothing you didn't know already (if you follow world events and rugby union) Morgan Freeman - excellent as usual

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

I watched North Face (German with Subtitles last night). A story focussed on the (failed) attempt of two Germans (and two Austrians) to be the first to climb the North Face of the Eiger. I have read 'The White Spider' so knew the real story, it is embellished somewhat, though generally well told and makes for quite compelling viewing. Also, I don't regret no longer being involved in any form of mountaineering!

Rowing for health
jainser

Post by jainser »

Mat wrote:
I've been 'umming 'n' arring' about the books for a while but I'll think I'll give them a go.

Read 'Let the right on in' the other week - very good. Followed it up by the original film. Haven't seen the Hollywood remake yet but will as I'd like to see what they have done to/with it.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
MartyJ
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by MartyJ »

I've just finished reading the Millennium Trilogy too (Girl with the Dragon tattoo), definitely an amazing set of books... and there will be at least one more coming out - apparently he had 3/4 finished the next one when he died, so someone will tweak it and it'll come out eventually.
Huw Thomas

Post by Huw Thomas »

plummy wrote:Inception - best film of the year for me by some distance. Anyone considering it should make it a definite "to do"
Watched the DVD - amazing ....though will have to watch it again to understand the bits that went over my head

Nice ending :lol:
Aged 61, 182 cm 80 kg.
Ut2 130-137 (1:59+) ut1 138-151 (1:53+) AT 152-161 (1:48+) TR 162-171 (1:38+) AN 172+ (<1:38)
cweed
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by cweed »

plummy wrote:Caught a film last night as I was channel hopping. Not a new one and one I have avoided owing to the less than glowing critiques - Deuce Bigolow, Male Gigolo....

I lowered the bar to, well, floor level and expected to be channel hopping again very soon:

Infantile and fairly purile yes - absolutely laughed my nuts off.

Now I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but I enjoyed it so don't care really

Plummy
This one cracked me up too. Maybe this should be added to the 24 hours of movies list somewhere in the wee hours of the morning when we have otherwise lost our sense of humor.
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
jainser

Post by jainser »

Huw Thomas wrote:
plummy wrote:Inception - best film of the year for me by some distance. Anyone considering it should make it a definite "to do"
Watched the DVD - amazing ....though will have to watch it again to understand the bits that went over my head

Nice ending :lol:
Couldn't agree anymore, thought it was great but really need to watch it again.
plummy

Post by plummy »

Watched Knight and Day - load of old pish. I know you are supposed to suspend disbelief but get a grip Hollywood....

Spoiler alert...

..as for continuity - at the airport at the start - they have a Boeing 727 FREIGHTER! (no windows) at the passenger terminal. This aircraft has 3 engines clustered around the tail. Then they cut to a take-off shot - the aircraft suddenly has 2 engines (one on each wing). Then they "land" the plane which has through the flight suddenly become a Bowing 727 passenger jet (full set of windows) - worse than the error in Terminator 3!!

I may have to tolerate Twilight Eclipse to get it over with - yawn alert!

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

I watched BURIED last night, definitely worth watching although I'll try not to spoil the ending for you...
6'6" 1971
plummy

Post by plummy »

The King's Speech - truly excellent film. =D> ^O^

It's rare that a film will hold my attention so much so that I never look at my watch even once. Given no space aliens, huge CGI, ladies in bikinis and massive explosions, this was an even greater feat.

I strongly suggest Messrs Firth (certainly) and Rush (probably) should make a little space on their mantel pieces ready for Oscar night.

Go see it

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Watched Downfall last night, pretty heavy going (German with subtitles), but recommended for anyone interested in WWII. It is the story told from the perspective of Hitler's last secretary (Traudl Junge) who was with him in the bunker until his suicide. She revealed her account of events from the bunker in 1989 in a book she wrote.

Very sad indeed especially with Magda Goebbels murders her six children.

Difficult to watch in this and other respects, though important to keep a grip on history though.

Next film will need to be a bit lighter!

Rowing for health
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Jon wrote:Watched Downfall last night, pretty heavy going (German with subtitles), but recommended for anyone interested in WWII. It is the story told from the perspective of Hitler's last secretary (Traudl Junge) who was with him in the bunker until his suicide. She revealed her account of events from the bunker in 1989 in a book she wrote.

Very sad indeed especially with Magda Goebbels murders her six children.

Difficult to watch in this and other respects, though important to keep a grip on history though.

Next film will need to be a bit lighter!
Downfall was very good and I enjoyed North Face that you mentioned earlier.

I'm trying to work my way through the IMDB top 250 films. Watched about 215 of them now, lots of REALLY old ones left and some old foreign films. Some good ones there though.
6'6" 1971
jainser

Post by jainser »

Gregor Andrews wrote:I'm trying to work my way through the IMDB top 250 films. Watched about 215 of them now, lots of REALLY old ones left and some old foreign films. Some good ones there though.
WOW - good going! Do you buy them all? I'll have to have a look and see how many I've got through.....