Football thoughts

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

ReducingFB
Stop posting and start rowing!

And yesterday

Post by ReducingFB »

Of course the 'real' reds :D won as well yesterday, and with tonight's victory, my 'other third', Mrs RFB, is also celebrating the undoing of sir A's mob.

Liked the comment on the BBC live website link which commented on the Emirates stadium rising to cheer Ronaldo as he was substituted ..... well actually they booed him !!

Perhaps the teams in 3rd and 4th may make a late run !!

RFB
65; 6'-4" 20 stone (aug 2014) - looking forward to a healthy retirement, when I recover the Equitable losses
Mikey
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Post by Mikey »

No real change at the top after last week-end, but with the two winners closing the gap the rest of the season might get a little interesting!

Still, as long as none of the teams in Red win...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike L
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's
ReducingFB

Post by ReducingFB »

Mikey wrote:No real change at the top after last week-end, but with the two winners closing the gap the rest of the season might get a little interesting!

Still, as long as none of the teams in Red win...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike L
Must be an Everton fan then !!
65; 6'-4" 20 stone (aug 2014) - looking forward to a healthy retirement, when I recover the Equitable losses
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Must be an Everton fan then !!
Hahaha. I heard you had to be a millionaire just to support the other imfamous team that play in blue...

Great result for Liverpool, but the ar$es are still looking threatening, and given what they did to us in the cups, I still suspect they'll finish above us. Of course it'd be great if we all finish above that Russian club that's getting the blues...

All that said, would be nice if and of the Ar$es actually had anything to do with English football (apart from that young Walcott boy). Hey Gooner - aren't you a bit too, well, english to support them. Surely you should be foreign...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mikey
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Post by Mikey »

Millionaire?.......What, on public sector pay! :roll:

I thought that merseyside blue team were liverpool reserves anyway.

Still, soon be 6 nations, that'll get the banter going.

As a true blue Englishman, I reckon Ireland will wipe the floor with everybody.

Mike L
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Ah yes the old drivel of Les Rouges and lack of English players.

1. Unless ur Webberg none of you can claim to have pure British players unless Ronaldo, Garcia, Robben, Chimbonda etc etc that are just one of many for each of yer clubs were born in the sound of the Bow Belles.

2. Like Free Spirits I wouldn't bar anyone from joining my club just because they spoke a foreign lananguage or have different colour skin.

If they are good enough they play. If not we sell em to Liverpool or Blackburn or Fulham or Chelsea etc etc :wink:
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Looks like Man City are well on for winning the FA cup.
Must go... there are some men in white coats outside who want a word.
pb times
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Stan, you think you're mad?

I still harbour the delusion that Spurs can somehow overcome the Gooners reserves/youth team in this week's second leg of the (insert name of this year's sponsor here) Cup.

There, my awful secret is out - I'm a Spurs fan (well, nobody's perfect).

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

PV :D :D

Spurs fan eh :shock:

Not all over yet re cup. Hate derbies :(

Berbatov out I believe. Hopefully Silva will bolster our midfield.

Can see the headlines now 'spurs scum first to win at the home of football.' Now I realise the Daily Telegraph copywriter may employ greater use of the greatest language in the world but still the same :roll:
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Once upon a time long long ago I supported my home team

Plymouth Argyle

ha ha ha

Pete likes some team called Spurs

Adam supports Man U -sorry!
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
ReducingFB

And then the next!

Post by ReducingFB »

No luck for 'Les Rouges' this year Gooner. If you can survive a St Valentines Day Massacre at the Reebok, what do you get next ............... "Hughes' Bruisers". Well at least Savage has got his just deserts.

RFB
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Guarantee a London team in the first final at the new Wem-bell-ee.

Got to otherise it will be full of Northerners and the Sarff of the country will never live it down. It's all a fix.

I predict an Ar$e Chelski final - 2-0 to the Ar$e.

My team graciously stepped aside to concentrate on failing to reach the play offs but at least we kept Stan happy. :P
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Bolton, 85 minutes I do tend to get cold and nervous. However the children are growing up and I think we will get thru. Blackburn no probs beat them with ten, No Savant sorry Savage is out we should keep eleven on the pitch. Six hours until my life goes belly up :cry:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

0-0 half time gooner. Listen to those butterflies in the stomach.

Think the reason the Ar$es get stick over their team selection is that most other teams at least have _someone_ who has English as a first language somewhere associated with the club. The ar$es may as well be renamed Foreigners United. Even the new stadium sounds like it should be located in the Middle East.

Has nothing to do with the quality of the football they play, of course, but always good for a wind-up!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Bu**er.

Arsenal have just scored.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
ReducingFB

All OK in the end

Post by ReducingFB »

Well despite the efforts of Mido - the kids have made it through. Hope they see off the overpriced blues. See Gooner - I have my better moments !! :lol:

As to the real reds. :D So, the Sheik takes his bat and ball away at the first sign of any competition. I think the good Mr Moores will act in the best interests of the club - and it looks like DIC may have been just a little too business-like, and let the cat out of the bag about looking for an exit strategy.

RFB
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

So Foreigners United are in to the worthless cup final against the Chelski Millionaires. What fun. Spot the British interest. More overseas players than the world cup! :wink:

(And yes, I know Liverpool are rapidly becoming a Spanish side. :roll: ) Check out the other transfer news here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6294537.stm
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Mother told me to never to gloat.
But she's dead now so yippee we're thru. Etc Etc. However Spurs not my least favourite team. TC take that title with ease.

Strangely insipid Spurs effort.

In relation to Scouser Mike's attempts at baiting, jog on sunshine.
Make sure you never lose Gerrard. He's the only reason you've won anything of note recently. Bet he'll look good in blue next season :D

And cashley is injured. Hope he can afford private healthcare on his paltry wages.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

A day of mixed fortunes.

Ireland beat Wales, but made heavy weather of it. We are going to need to really raise our game against France and England if we want to have any chance of beating them. And we may have to do it without O'Driscoll. :(

Spurs v United. What can I say? That's just embarrasing. My son is a United fan, so at least he's happy.

Paul
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Just got back fom the shiny stadium. If you were planning to watch the highlights of Blackburn v Arsenal can I suggest you do any of the following instead.

Go to bed
Row
Watch paint dry
Drink alcohol

This was the worst game of football ever. Blackburn were shocking in their fear of the half way line. Arsenal were truly awful. After the first half against Bolton and playing total football we descended into no football. Henry will go at the end of the season and sad to say I think Arsenal will be a better side :oops:
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Gooner Neil wrote:Just got back fom the shiny stadium. If you were planning to watch the highlights of Blackburn v Arsenal can I suggest you do any of the following instead.

Go to bed
Row
Watch paint dry
Drink alcohol

This was the worst game of football ever. Blackburn were shocking in their fear of the half way line. Arsenal were truly awful. After the first half against Bolton and playing total football we descended into no football. Henry will go at the end of the season and sad to say I think Arsenal will be a better side :oops:
I watched it on ESPN Brazil Neil - very poor game. I thought it was going to liven up a bit when Adebayor came on but unfortunately it didn't.
6'6" 1971
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

ESPN Brazil, now that's diversity in action :D

Yeah Gregor crap is too nice a word for that game. Mr Adebayor did inject a sense of urgency and Rosicky managed to show everyone up by running with the ball towards a goal. Mind blowing I know but prior to him coming on no one had thought to do this.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Fulham 0 Tottenham 4

At last! A good performance.

Will the real Spurs please stand up?

Paul
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Nice win Paul. Berbatov's second was v special. And now 4 the draw :D
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Mixed fortunes for the teams in the Premiership yesterday. Nearly said English teams but I think we'll be lucky to see 10 English players in action this week.

The Arse got what their recent performances deserved. Outside of an hour of excellent play against Bolton, when TH was not playing, they ahve been poor and scraping by. Like Gooner I think they are a better side with the sulky TH who should have been sent off in the last league game for his constant chipping at the ref and outrageous conduct in handing the ball to the keeper.

More importantly though Arsy Whinger continues to be the most reviled manager in the league. He hammers Balckburn for time wasting when his own keeper is booked for the same thing. He fails to see clear penalties for the opposition and claims the faintest of touches as a foul on his players.

Worst of all, he says that he doesn't understand why Arse are playing so badly! If I owned a club and my manager said that, I would issue a statement saying that he had my entire confidence and then fire him the following week.

They're playing badly because they're not a team. They're a bunch of talented individuals and they're set up to play that way. They are counterattackers who rely on 2/3 fast and tricky players and the lazy arse TH who hangs around the half way line all the time. They also have a solid back line but can you really say that the two elements actually ever join up?

I watched some of the Moan U game. This was drifting into a draw that would have been a fair result I think. The goal was a good piece of thinking and certainly outshone (in thinking terms) anything else that they managed to produce. Hilarious when the coach tried to get the players off the pitch though.

What was Neville doing then? He ran over from the opposite side of the pitch to add his provocation and then has an epi when Fergie tells him to bu66er off!

Typical hypocritical comments from Fergie afterwards. Calling for an investigation etc and saying it was shocking, terrible, disgraceful etc. This from a man who regularly engages in mind games and wind up tactics and tries to influence refs and take every rule to the absolute max limit.

Celtic - didn't see them. Think though that they have 90 minutes left in the competition.

Reckon then that Moan U will go through and even Arsenal. Celtic -no.

Tonight I'd love to see Chelsea be buried. Or even better lose by a couple of disputed goals scored in added time. I just can't like this team. I think it's the way that they strutt and preen themselves and expect other teams to simply roll over. I also think that Ballack is the square peg in that team, not Sheva.

Liverpool I quite fancy to get a draw and perhaps even sneak a win. Barca are in disarray and this is the Scousers chance. Hopefully they will also get rid of that lunatic Bellamy - how many chances does he want!
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904