Football thoughts

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

beegee
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Re: Football thoughts

Post by beegee »

gutted
Brian :( :( :(
Mikey
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Mikey »

Ecstatic. ^O^ :lol: :lol:
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's
beegee
Free Spirit

Post by beegee »

:twisted:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Good to see the Boys in Blue carrying on where they left off. First trophy of the season safely stashed away =D> =D>

Not so sure about the season to come though...if Sparky Hughes can get all those 'in-boughts' working together then maybe the blue side of Manchester could be the dark horses come next spring :?:

Mike
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Yes it remains to be seen if the new city side can gel together quickly. However the disparaging use of the words "in boughts" coming from a chelsea fan are a bit hard to take :D
pb times
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I'm (almost) happy to say that I can view the prima donnas of the Premiership with objectivity now that my boys are starting the long climb back from the edge of oblivion.

I didn't watch the Chelsea/Man U game but I have read the farcical and demeaning press/internet comments.

Why do the Chelsea players insist on cheating? Ballack says "I may have blocked him a little bit"! Surely that's a foul and the game should have stopped?

Equally Evra goes down like a sniper's got him and bounces up to complain when Chelsea score.

Whn I played I was told that unless the whistle goes, the game continues. How thick has a "professional" got to be before he learns ths lesson and also that the ref controls the game and not him.

How can AF say that balack used an elbow when the replays show this is not the case and Evra doesn't have a mark on him?

I do think that the ref at the match has a good idea when he says that the game should not be stopped for alleged injury but the physio should be allowed to come on. Be interesting then to see the rate at which players go to ground and stay there decrease (except Drogba of course - I think he must pray to the god of grass and has to spend a lot of time in his devotions) oh and a lot of others players with mainly foreign names - no offence.

So we have another season of prima donna players, hysterical managers, biased Press (especially the London papers) and fans yet again being ripped off.

I can't say that I'll be paying over inflated prices to watch the "best league in the world".

Personally I prefer my football to be a little more honest.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Have to say I agree with you there Webberg.

I'll end up watching plenty of it I'm sure - but everyone from the bottom to the top needs to realise at the end of the day, it's just 22 guys kicking a ball around a field. All this posturing and hours spent rehearsing a goal "celebration" would be better spent doing something more for the local community given the amount they get paid.

I still find it amazing that in rugby a guy can stay on his feet with 2-3 opponents crashing into him and trying to drag him down yet a "big strong" Premiership player collapses like a sack o' spuds at the slightest touch - bunch of big girls blouses!

Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Graham

I was at the Milwall match-I thought the two new full backs looked good and Shneiderling was immense.

What we desperately needed was a 6'3" forward who can head and get amongst it in the centre-Oh I don't know maybe the joint top scorer from League one-someone like that :lol: :lol:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

No offence meant about the 'in-boughts' Stan. I'm a firm believer that you can spend all the money you like but unless you have a top coach to blend the ego's together you get no-where fast, which is exactly what Chelsea found both pre and post Mourinho.

A good friend of mine is Man U thru and thru. His only observation on Sundays game was ' we need a German in the team to teach us how to take penalties!'. Thankfully forgotten a certain Champions League Final.

Talking of Rugby (in footie thread?) Anyone see the Tri-nations last week when Aussie Matt Giteau got yellow carded. What was he thinking, lining up the Springbok from 20 meters away then launching himself at the guy's head. Should have been a straight Red and a follow-up ban. Needless to say after a couple of seconds the South African was up and playing again, no theatricals. Good game to row to.

Mike
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's
Stan

Post by Stan »

Mike, no offence taken - hence the big grin smiley. Nothing wrong with a bit of football banter. You are absolutely right that you need a special coach to gel all the egos together and get them performing as a team. It remains to be seen if Mark Hughes can do it.
pb times
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

At my stage in life, I amaze myself from time to time with my ability to get really annoyed about the performances of a football team that I have only seen live (i.e. in the flesh) on a handful of occasions, but have 'followed' through thick and thin (mainly the latter) for over 40 years.

I'm not even sure why I formed an attachment to Tottenham in my early teens, but form it I did and I can't seem to shake it off, much as I would like to at times. Tonight is one of those times.

Having once again lulled Spurs fans into a false sense of feeing that this might be, after all, the year that "our" team finally qualifies for the Champion's League, they managed to lose tonight for the second time in two months to bl**dy Wolves! For crying out loud!!!

There, I feel a bit better for having a rant about it. If anyone could explain why it bothers me so much (or should that read, why I let it bother me so much?) and can offer a cure, I will be eternally grateful.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
beegee
Free Spirit

Post by beegee »

:D :D :D ^O^ ^O^
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I saw a Spurs tea cup once with the legend

"Place in middle of table".

Nuff said
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
beegee
Free Spirit

Post by beegee »

:( What a difference a week makes :(
BG
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Landon Donovan proved why the Yanks shouldn't play sockkker. Way to go dude :lol: Still must have cheered Mr Victory up.
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Gooner Neil wrote:Landon Donovan proved why the Yanks shouldn't play sockkker. Way to go dude :lol: Still must have cheered Mr Victory up.
Yes thank you Neil. It did cheer me up, sad to say. :roll:

But I know they're just lulling me into a false sense of security so that they can pull the rug out from under me again. #-o

The Gooners are playing some good football again and it looks like it could be a genuine 3 horse race. Shame about that young lad getting his leg broken last week. Can't say I go along with Arsene and his conspiracy theory, though.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Doc RowSlo
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Doc RowSlo »

I have to say that, until now, I've avoided this thread like the plague due to its title, and my loathing of association football. (I say "association" football so that it not be confused with men's sports such as rugby football, aussie rules football, american football, gaelic football etc)

I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I don't even seem to be in the minority here, let alone a single dissenting voice about just how "beautiful" the beautiful game is, or rather, isn't.
I lost the little interest in the sport that I had when it ceased to be a game of contact..........blah, blah, rant, rant etc. The "highlights" are good though. There really are moments of incredible skill in almost every hour of a soccer match.

Now, beach volleyball on the other hand........now, that's a real women's sport :wink: (ok, I'll get my coat)
Stan

Post by Stan »

An outstanding contribution to the debate Doc :D
pb times
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Mr Victory, Chelsea and Man Utd are conspiring to let us back in!!!!

You've played well this year i don't know if it would be better to dip out of the FA Cup. Your continued attention to that with a squad a little thin on the ground may lead to a horror last month for you.

Dr Rowslowpro or something like that. I really find it hard to understand why non contact makes a sport illegitimate in your eyes. The ability to legally hurt someone doesn't make a sport better.

I understand most football players who enjoyed the men are men times of the 60's 70's and 80's and had to have regular cortizone injections now have partial or severe forms of disability.

I enjoy playing and watching football. I've never understood the mentality that hurting someone is acceptable because the the opponent is more skilled. Although I don't think there is a conspiracy against the Arse four serious injuries in little under five years is hard to swallow. Your players out for a year or more. Just think if it was Lennon, Bale, Defoe and Jenas. I don't think Spurs fans (or insert your team of choice) would be so laissez faire.

One last thing regarding assault. The criminal definition states the intention or reckless application of force to another. Shawcross may not have had the mens rea to break his leg but his lack of control and irresponsibilty was highly reckless. However I think he is honestly distraught about his actions and no crocodile tears were shed by him. Oh and to the pundit who remarked Aaron Ramsey broke his leg. No he didn't. Ryan Shawcross broke Aaron Ramsey's leg.

Now excuse me I'm going to watch a game of rugby union. Sooooooo much skill. Soooooo much acting. So little money spent on props for the players sorry actors. Its funny how the rugby crowd how gone quiet on the whole soccer thing being corrupt and bloated after their own house was found to be in rather shabby order.

Oh and Aussie rules. Men with ponytails ripping up a cricket table with butchers as umpires. They get points for missing. Now thats funny.

Lastly football is a global sport with the only true world cup in sport. It doesn't need to defend itself. Its global all pervasive up take shows it for what it is> the best team game in the world.
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Doc RowSlo
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Doc RowSlo »

Gooner Neil wrote:Dr Rowslowpro or something like that. I really find it hard to understand why non contact makes a sport illegitimate in your eyes. The ability to legally hurt someone doesn't make a sport better.
Contact (to some extent) used to be legitimate in association football, that's all. These days, players behave as if they've been shot at the slightest hint of a contact. It's not that non-contact sports are illegitimate, it's that association football is a much poorer game since pretty much any contact became illegal.
Rowing is a non contact sport afterall and I rather like that.
And I certainly didn't suggest that asociation football isn't skillful. It certainly is. It's just a deeply flawed, dull and seriously overated game IMO.
But each to their own, so please carry on enjoying your banter about the beautiful game of kiss and dive.
Mat

Post by Mat »

Just thought I'd add a little fuel to the fire by dragging up a tired old adage, variously attributed to Oscar Wilde, George Orwell, and several others, and of which several forms exist;

"Soccer is a gentleman's game played by thugs. Rugby league is a thug's game played by thugs. Rugby Union is a thug's game played by gentlemen."

I'll add little to this, other than to say that after experiencing another vets rugby training session last night, I feel like neither a thug, nor a gentleman, but just a chap getting gradually older, and who is slowly realising that each day takes him further away from his prime :?
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Gooner Neil wrote: The ability to legally hurt someone doesn't make a sport better.
I think you will find that it does. :twisted: That is the whole point of the game,its great visuall entertainment.Watching 30 guys hurt each other just to get hold of a bit of leather. :D It makes perfect sence to me.

But then again i am slightly biast after being one of them for 25 years. :lol:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Just back from the Mestalla. Valencia 2-2 athleico Madrid (Europe League)
Cracking game it was too. Both teams wanted to score, end to end stuff. Poor defending from Valencia though but great entertainment.

Managed to get a ticket to next week's Barca v Arsenal game. Can't wait for that one although Barca are looking a bit strong at the moment. It could be a very difficult night for the Gunners.
6'6" 1971
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Spurs are in the Champions League! Hallelujah!

Paul V :mrgreen:
Stan

Post by Stan »

:evil: :cry:
pb times