Etape 2016

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Etape 2016

Post by webberg »

Perhaps this belongs in The Sanctuary?

In a moment of (self induced) euphoria brought on by application of Rioja, I agreed with a few friends to have a go at the Etape in 2016.

For those who don't know, the Etape is an annual mass participation cycle along one of the stages of the Tour de France. Normally a mountain stage which this year did Tourmalet and Hautecam, both Hors Catagorie climbs.

The route was 135km. 13,000 starters and 8,000 finishers. High drop out rate was perhaps due in some part due to the weather conditions (MINUS 2 at the top of Tourmalet and raining sideways) but some downhill crashes and poor preparation played a part.

For 2016 there is no indication yet about the route. Hopefully it may include one of the legendary climbs such as Ventoux or Alpe Duez.

The plan is to train over this winter, do some Sportive events next year, train again in winter 2015 and then focus on some climbing training in early 2016.

I have a group of perhaps 6 who have said yes. I expect that to be 2 or 3 by the time of the event.

I know a lot of us rowers like to cycle and wonder whether any of you might be interested in meeting up at some of the Sportives or even join in the Etape?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Re: Etape 2016

Post by redshell »

Hi Graham

I think Sanctuary :)
I'd looked at this after watching the Tour and saw some of the videos.
Whenever we've driven to Alpe d'Huez skiing I've always said 'I fancy cycling up here' to which Ken has said - 'you must be mad' :!: those climbs look great :!:
And I've been on the bike more this year. I really enjoyed the 100km Windsor-London-Windsor ride I did in May. I've been looking at Sportives too
I could be interested...though not sure if it will be near to the Euro '16 Championships which are in France
trishwright
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by trishwright »

My nephew Jonny competed in the Etape this year & really enjoyed it.

He's only being cycling for a year & was 97th overall & the 7th British rider to finish so as you can imagine he was extremely pleased. His time was 5 hours & 28 secs.

He says he needs to toughen up on the downhill sections as he found them a bit daunting!

I think that I'll stick to my Wattbike, just coming up to 10 million metres in 2 years.

Trish
nervtoeter
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: AW: Etape 2016

Post by nervtoeter »

I also love cycling, but cross country, got a invitation for crossing the Alps next year. Lot of training to do
Markus 44 83kg
webberg

Post by webberg »

Redshell, I think Sanctuary as well but being a complete IT numpty have no idea how to move this.

I've climbed some of the Alps and they are great to go up (and down) but they are very hard work.

I've not even considered the Euro championships. I would have thought that the organisers would try to keep them apart?

Trish - I have no ambitions of finishing in anything other than one piece. Being placed is not in the equation at all.

There is a mountain bike equivalent I think. Personally I gave up mountain bikes when I had both brakes on, wheels not moving but was still accelerating down the hill. It was not a pretty ending. :oops:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
redshell
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Hi Graham

The Euros start 10th June and the final is 10th July. I see the last ten years of the Etape the date has varied from the 1st week of July to the 3rd. You'd like to think the organisers wouldn't have a clash, but you never know anything can happen when footballing authorities are involved. They have a while to decide!
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Moved to the Sanctuary.

I'd love to complete a stage at le Tour, but I don't think I'd cope with cycling over 40 miles which seems to be my limit. Mind you I'd probably manage a wee bit more if I had a proper road bike and not the mountain bike I currently have.
6'6" 1971
webberg

Post by webberg »

You'd have to think as well that although Lyon might be used in the football, there are no large stadia in the Alps particularly and they might go to the Pyrenees?

Gregor, you'll find that a set of slicks on the bike rather than knobbly off road tyres make a big difference.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

webberg wrote:You'd have to think as well that although Lyon might be used in the football, there are no large stadia in the Alps particularly and they might go to the Pyrenees?

Gregor, you'll find that a set of slicks on the bike rather than knobbly off road tyres make a big difference.
Yes, I did in fact do that a couple of years ago, so my 10+ years old Giant ATX is now sporting much better tyres for road use. I still can't help wondering how much faster I'd be with a proper road bike, but then again I'm not sure I'd find the dropped handlebars comfortable to use after years of mountain bike use.
6'6" 1971
nervtoeter
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: AW: Etape 2016

Post by nervtoeter »

Road tyres without knobles should fit, I have also some of my MTB if I'm cycling with the Road Racers, of course you are slightly slower or you have to work a little bit harder, but it's not a big deal. Today I have to switch back to the cross tyres, that's sometimes a little bit annoying
Markus 44 83kg