Box Sets-Gorging on TV Series

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Box Sets-Gorging on TV Series

Post by strider77 »

My name is Strider and I am a Box-Set-a-holic :oops:

Seriously though, ever since the papers were full of Cameron taking the box set of " The Killing " on holiday and staying in bed with his missus watching it instead of sunning himself box sets have grabbed our attention, still one of the best Scandi thrillers if not the best, people have been banging on about Boxed Sets ever since.

I would be interested in folk's opinions on what they have seen and what they think is the best they have seen.

My list so far with comments

The Killing - original series-Great as above, set the standard, the subsequent series did not match up to the original IMHO
The Sopranos-I have watched it through twice-'nuff said-amazing standard of writing and acting
The Wire-good but for me did not love up to the hype
Borgen-ahhh-life now imitating art-brilliant acting -enjoyed all 3 series
The Bridge 1 & 2-Brilliant chemistry between the flawed male crumpled Dane male detective Martin and the eccentric gorgeous blonde Swedish detective, Saga
Breaking Bad-just got it and after seeing Series 1 am hooked, whether it is better than The Sopranos or The Killing or The Bridge time will tell-I'll keep you posted.
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Box Sets-Gorging on TV Series

Post by plummy »

Nice thread Strider.

I don't "own" box sets as such but have downloaded some from Sky or watched as they were broadcast:

I saw The Wire last year and thought it was awesome (tough, gritty, funny & tragic).
I really like 24 when it first came out although it inevitably got a bit "samey"
Currently watching House again which I think is superb
Breaking Bad is on my "must see" list as I have heard nothing but superb reports about it.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

The West Wing.
The West Wing.
The West Wing.

I'd watch all 7 series on a loop if I had the time!

Entourage: my wife and I watched the first two series in an afternoon a couple of years ago. The following series were just as good (thought watched them as they dripped in)

Game of Thrones - addictive stuff
MisFits - We watched the first 3 series in 10 days over Christmas.

We tried the Wire, but just didn't get what everyone else saw in it. And we're struggling through the start of Breaking Bad. I'm sure it becomes genius stuff, but we're 4 in, and it's nothing special yet.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Love the West Wing. I have the boxed set and I've watched the entire series twice in addition to seeing most of the episodes when they were first aired.

I agree that Game of Thrones is addictive. My son bought the first book for me and I've now read all five books and I'm way ahead of the TV series. Still love watching the series though, particularly those episodes where I know that something totally shocking happens and I can watch my son's reaction.

I have full box sets of both 24 and The Wire. I got a present of 24 a couple of years back and haven't got round to watching any of it yet. I got The Wire for my birthday last year and I've only watched a few episodes, but my wife and I are planning to watch it from the start.

I thought I would spend loads of time watching box sets following my recent retirement, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe when I get round to injuring myself by overtraining I'll finally have time to catch up. :roll: :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

I have watched a few episodes of the West Wing over the years and really enjoyed them, after your glowing reports guys I now intend to get the box set, cheers :D

I have also seen quite a few episodes of Game of Thrones too so will probably get the box set at some stage.
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Have to agree Game of Thrones is superb viewing, and very true to the books so far, probably benefitting from the close involvement of the author.
Battlestar Galactica was excellent and a massive improvement on the cheesy 1970s series.
The Walking Dead is addictive viewing.
Really enjoyed season 1 of Homeland and have recently obtained season 2 but not watched it yet, so something to look forward to.
I have to confess to really enjoying True Blood
I have been recommended Breaking Bad so I will probably catch that on Netflix, and it looks like I will have to check out West Wing now as well!
pb times
plummy

Post by plummy »

Forgot about True Blood - good call Stan.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
giles
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by giles »

Now you're talking. No actual box sets for me, I buy the 'alternative' sets from various sources.

Most have neen mentioned, but another one worth a shot is Dexter - watched the whole series over several months and it was superb. Peaked at Season 4, but still maintained quality to the end.

Breaking Bad has not gripped me yet - dipped in and out of Season 1 and although it's good, I can leave it alone. I have all series lined up ready though.

The Walking Dead - amazing series. Can't wait for the resumption of Season 4 tomorrow.

Currently into Entourage. Used to see it in the shop, but never thought much of it. Then I watched a couple of episodes on a flight and I'm hooked. Just finished Season 2 with another 6 seasons lined up and a film in the making.
Have a few others lined up too - Sopranos, Game of Thrones and will check out some of the others mentioned.

Loved House too - great to see Brits doing well in Hollywood.
41 years, almost 2m, 86kg.

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Elementary is superb.

We are also Mad Men addicts.

House is a favourite although we stopped about a year ago as a lot of episodes became a bit too formulaic.

I recognise some of the names of other series above and perhaps next winter we'll start moving through them.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Cheers folk, some really good calls.

Mad Men I loved the first 3 series I think then it went off the boil a bit, will probably buy the box set though :D

Update on Breaking Bad, I had a look at some of the reviews and it's a slow burner, getting average reviews for series 1, better for series 2 then it takes off.

Have finished series 1 which was just 7 episodes due to the writer's strike, Series 2 watching the last episode tonight.

It is warming up and I can see Series 3-5 are just going to get better and better.

Different to the Sopranos where for me anyway it was brilliant at the start and pretty consistently good all the way through.

Any more insights to great series ?
Recess

Post by Recess »

I was always partial to a bit of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... and for a series with some of the cheesiest dialogue, and terrible acting - Fallen Skies is surprisingly captivating.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
giles

Post by giles »

strider77 wrote:
Update on Breaking Bad, I had a look at some of the reviews and it's a slow burner, getting average reviews for series 1, better for series 2 then it takes off.

Have finished series 1 which was just 7 episodes due to the writer's strike, Series 2 watching the last episode tonight.

It is warming up and I can see Series 3-5 are just going to get better and better.

Any more insights to great series ?
On S2 E10 of Breaking Bad - still not gripped but getting there.

If you like BB, try Dexter from Season 1 onwards. You will not be disappointed.

Stan

Post by Stan »

Now seen the first 3 episodes of Breaking Bad - not blown away by it yet, but it looks to be worth sticking with. It seriously under stated just how deadly hydrofluoric acid is - the pair of them would have died handling it that way!
pb times
giles

Post by giles »

Stan wrote:Now seen the first 3 episodes of Breaking Bad - not blown away by it yet, but it looks to be worth sticking with. It seriously under stated just how deadly hydrofluoric acid is - the pair of them would have died handling it that way!
As you can see from my posts in the last few days, I was in the same boat as you. However, after a marathon 3/4 days of watching morning and night (working away from the family at the moment), I am into Season 3 and very much gripped.

All I can say is keep at it, you will not regret it.

Stan

Post by Stan »

Reached the end of season 1 (only 7 episodes) - yep definitely growing on me.
pb times
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

I agree with Giles, just finished Series 3 and its into Warp Drive.

Definitely more of a slow burner this one compared to the Sopranos, its got me gripped now though :D

May have to break out Series 4 tonight :oops:
giles

Post by giles »

Yep, just finished Season 3 and about to dive into Season 4 today.

Just picked up Mad Dogs - did anyone watch it?

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I got a bit bored of walking dead. All a bit samey for me. I just started BS Gallactica, and am loving the new Starbuck. I watch when rowing, netflix has subtitles so I just signed up for that as I find LoveFilm painful on full volume.

Tamsin and I LOVE Castle - endlessly funny, silly, scary, thrilling... You never know what you are going to get. We are also getting ready for Breaking Bad. We love Dexter too, but drifted away and never quite finished Series 3 - it appears to be on netflix, so we may catch up.

Has anyone mentioned Firefly yet?

I have watched the entire Sharpe canon whilst rowing at least three times. Love all that stuff.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Recess

Post by Recess »

For anyone hesitant about Breaking Bad, I got to episode 6 in the first series last night, and I'm now hooked. Everything up until the end of episode 5 was a little 'worky' to get through, but it looks like it's got me now!

Have I missed anyone saying Arrested Development? The last series is (currently) a little disappointing, but the first few are great comedy.

John

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thomas I dipped in and out of Dexter but never got hooked on it, definitely with you on Firefly and Sharpe, both great series :D

John, glad you like it, I am 3 episodes in on Series 4 and it just gets better and darker every episode :D

I also really like Nurse Jackie starring Edie Falco so as I saw some episodes of this, Series 2 I think, before I got the box set of The Sopranos I thought what's Nurse Jackie doing married to Tony Soprano ? :lol:
Stan

Post by Stan »

Now almost reached the end of season 2 of breaking bad - yep well and truly hooked. Season 3 of game of thrones just arrived so it may drag me away from bb for a while.
pb times
giles

Post by giles »

To all BB aficionados, did you get a bogged down towards the end of Season 4? Don't want to give too much away for those in the early series, but the Cartel/Gus flashbacks etc - didn't really get it.

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Glad you are enjoying it Stan, good call Game of Thrones-my next acquisition methinks :wink:

Giles-I rather enjoyed it gave it all context, for me it actually adds to it , just my opinion :D
Stan

Post by Stan »

season 3 game of thrones now complete. Best tv series ever made bar none. Traumatic stuff though
pb times
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Stan wrote:-season 3 game of thrones now complete. Best tv series ever made bar none. Traumatic stuff though
I can see the Box set for the first 3 series is out-I am on it !

I saw a few of the episodes in series 1, the treachery and dissolute behaviour looked just like modern politics :lol: , cheers Stan :D