Small claims corner

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Small claims corner

Post by webberg »

Have any of us worked with, met briefly (preferably in embarrassing circumstances), bumped into or otherwise interacted with anybody who subsequently went on to be famous (or infamous)?

The more glancing the contact, the better in many ways.

I'll give you an example.

Coming through Waterloo one evening, pre Olympics, I was stood near a ticket machine when Seb Coe turns up to buy a ticket. He's on the phone and clearly struggling to manage and is looking desperately for change. I silently offer him a handful of coins. He takes a couple of quid, hands me his card and runs (quickly) to his train. Not a word was said and I've never reclaimed the cash although I still have the card.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Small claims corner

Post by strider77 »

Great story Graham :D

I can't match that but I have Seb related story.

Back in 1974 I watched a 3000m race at the track right next to Wormwood Scrubs, I forget what is its called.

My friend Ian Ray, who ran for Salisbury AC as did I had won the Intercounties Youth Cross Country championships the previous winter and went on to represent GB at senior level in the marathon (p.b. 2:15 in Berlin), was racing and I was there with Ian's Dad to watch him.

Seb was definitely not on anyone's radar at this early stage he would have been about 18 I think and when he blasted off at the front and was in the lead most people were quite shocked as there were a lot of better known runners and National winners like my friend Ian who were left in his wake, it was not until the last lap that he was passed and ended up 3rd or 4th I think, Ian beat him.

The rest of course is history, eventually his front running paid off as in future races once in the front he did not fade.
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]