Great restaurants

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Great restaurants

Post by webberg »

We have all perhaps been to some nice places to eat. Not necessarily with awards and stars or fancy menu's but just "good" because of the food, who you were with, the occasion, location.

Any recommendations out there?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Great restaurants

Post by Paul Victory »

I can't remember the name of the restaurant or even what town it was in, but I still remember the absolutely incredible taste of the roast beef that I had in a restaurant in Brittany in 1984. It was in the hotel that Jennifer and I were staying in and unfortunately we were only staying one night. But I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I tasted my first bite.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

The anupam restaurant in Malvern makes the best curries I have ever tasted. I believe it made it into the daily telegraph top 200 restaurants in the country. Lots of people use it before/after going to the theatre and many a famous actor has recommended it.
pb times
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I'll share a few recommendations.

L'Assiette Blanche in Bruges is stunning. Very small (perhaps 20 covers) and obviously french based. Quiet with great food. Try the entrecote.

Bruges has many very good restaurants but some of them can be either too posh or too rustic. The Assiette gets it just right but is perhaps run close by the Peppermollen. Very traditional food (white asparagus last time we were there) and very well done. Again very small.

For Central London at reasonable price, there's a Busaba in Wardour St. Good food, reasonable price and a fabulous Italian deli and baker opposite. So go to the Italian for sweet.

Moving up the cost scale a bit is Aqua in Argyll St, literally 2 minutes walk from Oxford Circus tube. Does both Spanish and Japanese. Never tried the latter but the tapas is excellent. What makes this place is the view.

Also central London and definitely a special occasion place is Asia de Cuba. This is in the St Martin's Hotel near Trafalgar Sq. Brilliant food but pricey. On the other hand one meal between 2 is adequate.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904