Armstrong dies

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Armstrong dies

Post by Scoop »

No, not Lance. Neil.

This is a very hard one for me because I spent half of my childhood believing that I was the Americans natural choice of successor to Neil Armstrong. This probably explains why I now clean wheelie bins :lol:

Just out of interest. Does anyone think they faked the Apollo landings? They didn't, I know for a fact but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has doubts so that I can put you straight (with a bicycle chain [-X :lol: )
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
Doc RowSlo
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Armstrong dies

Post by Doc RowSlo »

I doubt very much that it would have been possible to conceal any hoax on such a scale for all this time, so I believe that those 12 men did indeed walk on the moon.
However, I am dubious about the authenticity of many, perhaps all, of the photographs for a whole load of reasons.

Armstrong's death is very sad. RIP
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I agree with Lee. I saw a Channel 4 documentary once called something like (Did We Really Go To The Moon?) and it was very compelling and I was pretty convinced we may not have. Since then I've seen enough evidence contrary to the conspiracy theorists that I'm sure we did go - but I'm sure a lot of the photos are one's taken on a film set on earth. I think the conspiracy theorists have that bit right.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

He was a very interesting character, and not least because he survived a week in a small box with Buzz Aldrin without killing him.

That documentary did massive amounts of damage by ignoring evidence and relying on simplistic observations. There is a lovely discussion of the photos here.

http://www.iangoddard.com/moon01.htm

I do a lesson on the Moon "hoax". There are always deniers at the start of the lesson, but not at the end!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Agreed, the hoax theory has been blown out of the water.
Scoop,where do you think you went wrong with the astronaut career?
pb times
Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Scoop »

Stan wrote:Scoop,where do you think you went wrong with the astronaut career?
:lol: Being 6'5" when max height was 5'10" probably didn't help.

I remember once seeing a clever article called 'What were your chances of being the first man on the moon?'

You had to be American (1 in 20 probability), male (1 in 2), born between 1925 and 1935 (don't know prob), have no detectable physical or mental defects (heaven knows), have a glittering career as a pilot with at least 2,000 hours on fast jets (probably about 1 in 100,000), be selected as an astronaut (1 in 100 of the 1 in a 100,000 so 1 in 10 million), have at least one previous space flight (probably 1 in 20), be able to withstand being frozen, steamed, 10g of force, catapulting, rotating and shaking tests that the American Humane Society tried to prevent being done on animals, being cramped into the equivalent of the front of a VW Beetle with two other men for 7 days whilst eating baby food and pooing in a small bag, not have your pulse go above 80 as the last wisp of oxygen escaped from your capsule and show no signs of panic if all the systems suddenly failed (heaven knows again).

And then of course, of the 12 men who walked on the moon you had to be the first (1 in 12).

In other words the probability is 1 in 'The number of people who have ever lived on Earth' which I've read is estimated at between 70 and 110 billion.

So all in all, quite an exceptional bloke ^O^

Re. the hoax theory, the one way to dispel this for good would be able to take pictures of the 6 Apollo landing sites. This has now been done and short of Shearings actually organizing coach tours to see the sites I don't really know what more NASA can do. Apollo 11 site - http://www.space.com/14874-apollo-11-la ... photo.html
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Ah, but you can photoshop photos of the Moon. Even tours could be faked. Deniers will come up with arguments for everything despite the lack of evidence to support their theories (rather like religion, but I digress).

For me, you just need to look at the footage of the moon buggy that has been in the public domain for years and years. The dust flies in beautiful parabolas, 2m high as the car drives towards the camera. (about 2:30 in this video)

You simply cannot fake that on Earth. The largest vacuum chamber is about 5m across, there was no technology to fake it in the 1970s and if you drive a car fast and slow it down the dust billows. If you use sand to avoid it, it won't get 2m in the air.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Den-J
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Den-J »

They went to the Moon ..If the USSR could have shown they did not they would have broadcast it for the world to see ...the USSR said nothing therefore they went
That for me clinches the whole argument I have seen the explanations of all the photos and that convinces me but the Soviets not blowing the whole thing for America should convince everybody
Age 55 LW Started rowing 26 Sep 08
*Set 2010
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

I´m not going into any kind of discussion - I would just state that the vast amount of fake photos - fake meaning taken in a studio on earth - does not convince me that man has been on the moon... :fssmile:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway