jubilee fix

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

jubilee fix

Post by webberg »

I'm not a fan of tennis and as such have little idea how good (relatively) Andy Murray is, but am I alone in thinking that the last time a Brit won anything major at Wimbledon it was a Jubilee year and now again we have the same situation.

I suspect that the "fix is in". 8)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: jubilee fix

Post by Scoop »

I have to say Graham that this kind of thing often crosses my mind. Most recent 'fix' in my opinion appeared to be the World Snooker (not O'Sullivan's win but earlier on).

But how? Federer is a champion and wants even more history book presence. What will they do? Offer him a million pounds? He's already got 80 (million pounds).

The only conceivable way would be if the Swiss government has told him to throw the Wimbledon final for some reason that we will never comprehend. Even that seems unlikely. The only inconceivable way would be that Federer somehow feels sorry for Murray and wants to gift him a space in history. That seems as probable as the Loch Ness Monster. Federer is a winning machine. Conspiracy also possible - will Federer have a dodgy breakfast? I reckon this happened to Paula Radcliffe in the 2004 Olympics (might be wrong)

Or there is also the possibility that Murray may beat Federer on his own merit and win Wimbledon. I hope he does.
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
Mat
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

webberg wrote:I suspect that the "fix is in".
That sounds as likely as a conspiracy theory that anti-monarchists "fixed" the weather to ensure that we had the wettest June on record to ensure that Jubilee celebrations were suitably dampened down :!:

(Clearly there wasn't sufficient cash available to pay off the Spanish and Italian football teams to provide a Euro 2012 win for England :roll: )
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
webberg

Post by webberg »

Times are hard Mat.

Cash for a Brit to win in England = OK

Cash for a team to win in Eastern Europe where we were clearly outclassed = not OK
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Scoop »

That's the one result none of us predicted Graham.

Federer won #-o Inconsiderate Swiss cheese :lol:

But I agree with you that all is not as it seems in the world of sport.
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
webberg

Post by webberg »

Murray and UK principles have traded tghe Olympic medal for this Championship?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904