Britain's Got Talent

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Britain's Got Talent

Post by Paul Victory »

I know this is going to totally eviscerate any street cred I might have, but someone told me to watch last week's audition by Jonathan and Charlotte and I was totally blown away by it. What a voice! Unbelievable!
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Britain's Got Talent

Post by jainser »

I can't watch anything with Simon Cowell in (in my opinion) he is a world class @£$%#

Saying that I guess I have to respect what he has done - made a shed load of cash doing something he enjoys - but still a @£$%#¢

Reet and the spuds love it though. Did see the clip re: the two singers and yes they were amazing!
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I hate the way that this show (and all its copies and lookalikes) exploit people who are desperate for their 15 minutes of fame.

To me this is the modern equivalent of the Victorian Freak Show where people are held up to ridicule as entertainment. The only difference being that people are brainwashed into believing that that have some talent and actually volunteer to be used and abused.

Consequently I am not a watcher of any such shows and whilst I think Cowell is a canny businessman I have no respect for him in connection with his stable of talent shows.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

webberg wrote:I hate the way that this show (and all its copies and lookalikes) exploit people who are desperate for their 15 minutes of fame.

To me this is the modern equivalent of the Victorian Freak Show where people are held up to ridicule as entertainment. The only difference being that people are brainwashed into believing that that have some talent and actually volunteer to be used and abused.

Consequently I am not a watcher of any such shows and whilst I think Cowell is a canny businessman I have no respect for him in connection with his stable of talent shows.
Yep - all of that agreed with.

(I think Paul's point was that someone appeared that could actually sing - but didn't see it so can't comment). Somewhere, there has to be the SuBo moment for the brainwashing to work - watch utter tripe for 90 minutes and then someone hits a note and gets standing ovation and millions of pounds - Jedward #-o (sorry, they never even managed to hit a note either)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I also agree with all of that. I didn't actually watch the show. Someone told me about it afterwards and suggested I watch it on youtube.

As plummy says, they need a SuBo moment every once in a while and this was it. The whole thing was very obviously choreographed, down to having the male singer dress down in scruffy tracksuit trousers and a t-shirt and having a derogatory sotte voce comment by SC picked up and sub titled.

Of course, for it to work, the performance had to be memorable and the young lad has a truly amazing voice. To my untrained ear, he sounded like another Pavarotti and no doubt he will go on to make another few million for the execrable Mr C.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg