ROOM 101

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

ROOM 101

Post by plummy »

After watching the first episode of the new format BBC program - ROOM 101 - I thought maybe we could have a thread of our own. This is a place where you can vent your spleen and write down all the things that drive you mad/make your skin crawl/wish were banned from the face of the earth.

They can be silly/irrational/quirky/oddball - as long as it's some thing you have as a pet hate (or similar). Let's dispense with all the obvious (suffering/war/disease/poverty/child cruelty etc) - these are a given, and move to the little things that drive you insane. I suggest you have one post each and edit it as you think of more (I guarantee within a hour of posting you'll have seen/experienced something else you want adding to your list but there's no reason to have an extra post each time - just edit your list)
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
plummy

Re: ROOM 101

Post by plummy »

Footballers endlessly, perpetually spitting everywhere on the pitch
Grown men chewing gum with their mouths open
People driving with their front fog lights on - WHEN IT'S NOT FOGGY
Adverts for American cop TV series - (all American cop/detective series adverts consist of someone walking around with a gun sticking out in front of them)
Adverts for British action/drama series - wait a few seconds and bingo! some couple "getting jiggy" in a bedroom
Car insurance adverts
People driving in the middle lane of motorways and NEVER moving over
The inability of anyone involved in sport to finish a sentence without using the word "fantastic" to describe something, at best, quite good
ALL soap operas
Cutting food with your fork - that's what a knife is for

Edit 1:
People eating noisily in cinemas - scratch that, people eating AT ALL in cinemas
People using mobiles in cinemas/people talking in cinemas

Edit 2:
Reality TV series such as X-Factor/Something on Ice etc and the stupid pantomine judges having tiffs for ratings
Competitive cookery programs with "judges" deciding on what's good or bad based on one spoonful and "what it looks like"

Edit 3:
Boy bands and girl bands (one for Webberg)

Edit 4:
TV Sports "commentators" who endlessly ask questions (i.e speculating rather than reporting actual events) - "is this the time...?" could this be the one...?" "are we about to see...?" etc etc etc - and using the word "fantastic" every 5 seconds - again
Last edited by plummy on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

Phone calls from Double Glazing sales people who obviously dont live in our country.Yesterday was an Asian guy called JACK.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

How long can the list be?

This is a dangerous time waster for me.

People who stand in the Tube ticket gates searching for their ticket which they must have had to get on the bloody thing!

People, who when asked to pay for a coffee etc, start searching for their money #-o

Foorballers with a gravitionally challenged attitude

South West Trains

I'll be back...

EDIT 1

Football managers and players who don't know what an adverb is. It's not "he played fantastic", it's "he played fantastically well". Muppets.

Football managers who can't see their own teams' misdemeanours but complain loudly and whinge when the other team get exactly the same treatment.

Idiot IFA's (which is most of them) who are just greedy commisison monkeys

People who throw their still smoking cigs on the ground

Every tourist who haas ever been in Regent St

All TV reality shows which are really partially scripted pantomime written for the hard of understanding and performed by people who are so desperate for their 15 minutes of fame that they will surrender their dignity and all pretence of ability. As somebody famous once said, "It's better to remain quiet and appear a fool than to open your mouth and confirm the fact"

EDIT 2

Credit card companies who ask you to put your card number into the phone and the first question you get from a human bean is "what's your number" "I've just put that into your system" Sorry, that system doesn't come through to us. Then why bloody ask!

Train companies where "late"means more than 10 minutes late for a reason that does not include track problems, signal problems, train breakdowns late crew on incoming trains, or in fact any reason that can be invented

Mums on the school run who assume that delivering sweet little Billy gives them the right to ignore traffic rules and drive in the middle of the road at more than the limit.

My ex wife

EDIT 3

Idiot people in shops or on the phone who say "and is this for yourself" - no such word in that context!

Olives
Last edited by webberg on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
billwright

Post by billwright »

People who punctuate their conversations with "like", "you know" and other useless verbal furniture. :twisted:

BBC announcers use of the word "indeed" which seems to be offered at every opportunity when speaking to their reporter colleagues "at the scene". :evil:

The use of text language when writing in media other than mobile phones.

People texting in the theatre (normally the same ones who eat noisily all through a performance).

People on the phone or in a shop saying "Bear with me". Worse, people writing "Bare with me".

The use of phrases such as "Gobsmacked" "Gutted".

When a criminal thug meets his maker, the friends and relations who swear that he was such a lovely man who wouldn't hurt a fly.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:
Last edited by billwright on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

webberg wrote: People, who when asked to pay for a coffee etc, start searching for their money #-o
That's the first one that came to mind for me.

The unsolicited sales phone call comes a close second.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Text messages from idiot legal companies offering compensation for non existant accidents.
Unsolicited phone calls from idiot legal companies offering to get ppi payments back for non existant loans.
I agree with everything Bill said (I was going to just say "everything Bill said" but that could have been misinterpreted 8-[ )
People who expect drivers in the middle lane to move over when they are busy overtaking people on the inside lane.
pb times
andy walls
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by andy walls »

Cold Calling
Dog owners that dont pick up their dogs mess :evil: :evil: :evil:
Packaging that cant be recycled
Birmingham City fans (only joking Wolfie :lol: )
Calling customer services and not getting a human on the other end of the phone until you have listened to numerous lists of options
41 yrs, HWT, If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

billwright

Post by billwright »

andy walls wrote:Calling customer services and not getting a human on the other end of the phone until you have listened to numerous lists of options
Just a tip on this one which sometimes works. When you get one of those numbers don't press any buttons once you get through. Do nothing at all despite the many repeated requests. Eventually you will get a human operator. Something to do with visually impaired and hard of hearing folks. (

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

Hey David. Funny idea for a thread. :D

Unclean/smelly people in line at the store ](*,) :~c

People who doesn't understand the importance of logic. #-o

People who throw cigarette residue or garbage everywhere. [-X

Small people, with big dogs that they have no control over. #-o

Guys who blow themselves up to appear stronger than they are. #-o #-o #-o

Girls/women who have unrealistic clear ideas about how their future husband must be. #-o #-o #-o

Motorists who do not keep distance in traffic. ](*,)

Cyclists who are injured or killed because they absolutely had to stay in the blind spot and not behind when the truck turns right. How stupid can you get. #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

Above-residents who use shoes indoors on hardwood floors :roll:

I'll be back :wink:
Last edited by Shang-Chi on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Christmas lights on the ouside of houses/gardens.

Middle Lane hoggers (I could blow a fuse on that one).
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

Wolfmiester wrote:Middle Lane hoggers (I could blow a fuse on that one).
Middle Lane hoggers :?: Is that people who misuses the middle lane on the high-ways :?: :-k (I'm not sure of the word huggers and Lane is spelled with a capital :?: )
Is huggers like pigs/swine :?:
webberg

Post by webberg »

I call the drivers referred to CLOD's

being "centre lane owner drivers"

Used to bother me but as I probably drive less than 3000 miles a year now, I've mellowed.

I'm going to add though Prima Donna footballers as exemplified by, but not restricted to, Balotelli.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Shang-Chi wrote:
Wolfmiester wrote:Middle Lane hoggers (I could blow a fuse on that one).
Middle Lane hoggers :?: Is that people who misuses the middle lane on the high-ways :?: :-k (I'm not sure of the word huggers and Lane is spelled with a capital :?: )
Is huggers like pigs/swine :?:
Yes, sorry Mikkel. To "hog"is to hold on to and not let go or let anyone else use. Similar to a child not letting anyone else play with a toy, or someone on the gym rowing machine for too long and not letting anyone else on :)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Signs in hotels that say (paraphrase);

"We care about the environment, leave your towels hanging up if you do too"

They don't. They care about their cleaning bill. If they really cared, they would donate the saving to environmental charities at the end of the year.

And hotel shampoo with spherical lids tightened with the strength of ten men, women that are impossible to open once the shower starts.

I really don't miss my old job do I?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
plummy

Post by plummy »

Thomas W-P wrote: .....women that are impossible to open once the shower starts.
..am I reading that right? :shock:
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:
Thomas W-P wrote: .....women that are impossible to open once the shower starts.
So, that never happened to you! :shock: :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Daffy »

plummy wrote:
:shock: :lol: No, Dave , you are not... :lol: Funny though!

(I think Thomas is being very p.c., and saying the bottles were tightened by either ten strong men OR ten strong women).
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

daffyducky wrote: :shock: :lol: No, Dave , you are not... :lol: Funny though!

(I think Thomas is being very p.c., and saying the bottles were tightened by either ten strong men OR ten strong women).
Jane, you should never let the truth get in the way of a good joke. [-X [-X [-X
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

Hey David. Funny idea for a thread. :D

Unclean/smelly people in line at the store ](*,) :~c
People who doesn't understand the importance of logic. #-o
People who throw cigarette residue or garbage everywhere. [-X
Small people, with big dogs that they have no control over. #-o
Guys who blow themselves up to appear stronger than they are. #-o #-o #-o
Girls/women who have unrealistic clear ideas about how their future husband must be. #-o #-o #-o
Motorists who do not keep distance in traffic. ](*,)
Cyclists who are injured or killed because they absolutely had to stay in the blind spot and not behind when the truck turns right. How stupid can you get. #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
Above-residents who use shoes indoors on hardwood floors :roll:
I'll be back :wink:
Some more things that I hate:
People who walks in the middle of the road or bicycle path and doesn't makes attempt to move away when you approach in high speed. :-s

Neighbors that at 7:00 PM starts some kind of noisy activity, like vacuuming, interactive video game or house repairs. [-X

Neighbors that throws/drops cigarette residue from the balcony. :-s

People who talks out loud on the cell phone in a public place, as if we were interested. #-o [-X ](*,) :-s
Spikeola
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Spikeola »

The Scrap man, who comes down my street 4 times a week.

picture this;

blaring air horn followed by, 'enn odd uuurrrnnnn' took me ages to understand his accent. :roll:

I actually don't mind the service he offers but when you hear him and get the scrap ready for him, he's bloody well disappeared down another road. Worst of all is that he comes by every sunday morning at 9am, on the dot!!
Michael Gough 42 (102kgs and keen commuter cyclist)

webberg

Post by webberg »

People who want the UK (and elsewhere) to "go green" without really understanding the implications or thinking through the consequences.

For example the "wind is good" lobby.

Wind power has it's place. On a district scale it makes sense that when the wind blows, power is taken and used immediately and locally. This is good business, good economics and good for the environment.

National scale wind is a nonsense. Power companies are paying wind generators to STOP PRODUCING as they have too much power in the grid. Guess who ends up paying people to do nothing = you and me.

Offshore wind is a massive political scam. Installed megawatt cost per HMG = £1.5m. Installed cost per the industry = £4m per MW. The payback period is around 30 years for a unit in which the pylon might manage 20 years, the generator perhaps 10 years and the gearbox perhaps 5 years if there is no big storm.

Wind has a place and it's small and local. It's not the answer on its own and the sooner the tree hugging community understand that the better.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
plummy

Post by plummy »

People who eat food by placing a fork (with food on it) in their mouth and scraping it back out through their teeth.

Snoring!!!!

Pointless celebrities

People who suck air in through their mouths like a dodgy builder after everything they say
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
webberg

Post by webberg »

People who walk around or sit at a restaurant or train or other public place holding their mobile phone in front of them or conspicuously in their hand as though they will be called constantly and the caller cannto wait for them to find the bloody phone from a more discrete place.

Message to them

Nobody cares what phone you have. Nobody is important enough to have to answer a call within 0.4 seconds. Your life is more important tha 200 grams of plastic.

Get a life and put the phone away.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

webberg wrote:People who walk around or sit at a restaurant or train or other public place holding their mobile phone in front of them or conspicuously in their hand as though they will be called constantly and the caller cannto wait for them to find the bloody phone from a more discrete place.

Message to them

Nobody cares what phone you have. Nobody is important enough to have to answer a call within 0.4 seconds. Your life is more important tha 200 grams of plastic.

Get a life and put the phone away.
Actually Graham, if I'm not turning off my mobile phone because I want to be incommunicado, I tend to keep it somewhere handy so that I won't have to spend ages footering around looking for it when it rings and finally managing to pick it up just as it goes through to voicemail. :oops:

Guess I better make sure I keep it turned off if we're ever on the same train or in the same restaurant. :roll:

Paul V