Wine recommendations

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Wine recommendations

Post by webberg »

Couple of posts on another thread here has prompted this.

Any favourites to recommend (post row of course).

Personal favourite of mine is more of less anything from Kim Crawford.

http://www.kimcrawfordwines.co.nz/
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Wine recommendations

Post by Stan »

Yep, New Zealand white wines seem to be the bees knees. A friend introduced me to oyster bay - highly recommended.
pb times
stumpy
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Cloudy Bay for me or Pelorus if you like a bit of fizz. Just wish I could afford it more often :(
Spikeola
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Spikeola »

Having married into a family of francophiles and holidaying in southern burgundy for the past 8 years I'd have to recommend macconnais wines such as; pouilly fuisse (personal favourite); St Veran; Milly Lamartine; Macon villages (now widely available in supermarkets and oddly enough cheaper here than buying direct from the vineyards) - these are the whites. On the red front I prefer lighter yet fruity ones, Pinot Noir and Macon rouge are affordable and really quite quaffable. Something for a special occasion; the nicest red I've ever tasted was a gevrey chambertin (about £24!!!) and it was truly like nectar and worth every penny. The trouble is justifying one bottle of this over 6 macon rouge; hence it's a special occasion wine.

The other great thing about the wines in this area is that no matter how much I've drank of an evening or all day, and on occasions I've drank far too much #-o I've never woken with a hangover, well not one that keeps me in bed anyway :wink:
Michael Gough 42 (102kgs and keen commuter cyclist)

Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

The Kim Crawford wines look very interesting. I wonder if they're available in Ireland.

I agree with Colin about Cloudy Bay, but it's a bit on the expensive side for everyday drinking. But I love that style of wine, and Astrolabe compares quite well at less than half the price. I don't know how widely available it is in England, it's stacked by one of the biggest Irish wine merchants, O'Brien's. Another NZ Sauvignon that I really like is Mud House, which is a bit dearer and not as widely distributed. Both wines are well worth trying if you can find them.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

I am a Francophile too Mike and I love all the wines you mention.

My wife bought me a bottle of Chateau Latour for my 30th when we were holidaying in France it cost 200FF then around £20 so as you know I am nearly 60 I shudder to think what it would be now :D

I also like Sauvignon Blanc and the Marlborough is very nice indeed-have you tried Grove Mill Paul, also from NZ, it is worth the effort if you can get hold of a bottle, my absolute favourite in white wines :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
andy walls
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by andy walls »

villas vignes white burgundy is my favourite white, available from Virgin Wines, about £8 a bottle and worth every penny, cheaper if you join the wine bank on the web site as every 3rd month virgin match your monthly chosen payment amount!!
41 yrs, HWT, If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill