Other sports?

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Other sports?

Post by webberg »

What do people do other than row?

I see that Mike Channin has a picture of a cyclist that I assume is him. I think I've read that we have a few runners (my wife included).

Mikkel is into martial arts.

A lot of us were sports players before we rowed. Like most people, the older we get the better we were in those games.

What do people do now though?

(This could be a very short thread)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Mike Channin
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

<----- This is me on the mountain bike taken a few weeks back. Am doing about 20 mph over pretty rough stuff, so hanging on for dear life! Am not exactly a great cyclist, but do enjoy it, as long as I don't fall off and damage myself (like I did this time last year).
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I am on my village cricket club committee and two years ago was the small (6' 3") lithe (125kg+) wicketkeeper as we got promoted to the top division of the local league. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I had a sabatical this year with the arrival of my third daughter but am hoping to sneak some games for the 2nd XI next year. 8)
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

5 a side, although the closer I get to BIRC the less committed I'm getting to smashing my pals into the sides..................
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Used to play a lot of rugby. Pub team level but it was a good laugh both on and very much so off the pitch. Thats what got me into rowing in a big way when I decided to try a get a bit fitter.
Busted an ankle in the last game of the season, then the kids arrived one by one and never got back into it. Other than a ten year old v new game. Which I took 6 days to get over - I was in serious pain!!! :(
Used to play for the Hoddesdon White Swanarians on off chance that someone here may have heard of them.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Is the rugby responsible for your good looks and green skin?
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
jainser
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

No that was the XXXX and addlestone cider sessions that did that :D :D
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
webberg

Post by webberg »

Addlestone cloudy cider - dreamy stuff. :lol: :P

I shoot as a sport. Mainly clays these days. Does that count as a sport or a past time?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

I did up until a year ago play squash regularly before rowing took over, not as often as I would like now
I often cycle to/from work
Play tennis in the summer. We'll be playing every morning on holiday...roll on week Saturday & Ayia Napa
And ski too
Run occasionally & gym 5/6 times a week
And drink too many pints of Courage Best :D :D
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

Occasional cricket.
Cycling got me out of years of nothing before the C2 revolution.
Still have to get into reasonable cycyle fitness once a year for the university mates reunion - cycling pub crawl

Second XI goalie at uni and water rowing for 6 years

Alistair
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
BigWaveDave

Post by BigWaveDave »

Used to play rugby but back injury ended all that.

Basketball has always been my no. 1 sport - am just embarking on my 20th, and probably last, season as at 42 I am giving away around 18 years to the rest of my team.
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Played badminton (years ago), five a side (years ago), squash (years ago). Most recent other sport was ten pin bowling in a league - averaged 172 with a high score of 287!! That's 10 strikes then an eight and a 1. The local bowl closed down so quit a year ago

Regards
Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Ice hockey.

Hockey is probably more popular in the UK than in Indiana (also known as "the hockey hell-hole"). I first started when I was 6 yrs old in Connecticut and played for 4 years until they closed the rink. I then picked it up again when I went to graduate school in Ithaca, NY (Cornell). I played a lot of hockey (women's, co-ed, pick-up, IM) in grad school. When I moved to Oregon, I played once a week in a co-ed rec league. Then I moved to Indiana and I haven't been able to find a good rec league or committed group of people for pick-up. The nearest rink is 75 minutes away :cry:.

It has taken me a while to find a suitable replacement for hockey. When I moved here, my dog was 11 years old, had arthritis and was not able to do long hikes anymore. I discovered the erg in May and have become quite addicted.
webberg

Post by webberg »

Rita, addicted is not the word. Obsessed? Impassioned?

I can only dream about doing the metres you do.

Ice hockey here is a very minor sport. I used to go to my local rink to see the BASINGSTOKE BISON. They had US and Canadian imports but probably only those who couldn't cut it there.

Last time I went though the reporter from the local paper was knocked out cold by a puck that crossed the barriers. Sadly this was more exciting than the game.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

webberg wrote:Rita, addicted is not the word. Obsessed? Impassioned?

I can only dream about doing the metres you do.

Ice hockey here is a very minor sport. I used to go to my local rink to see the BASINGSTOKE BISON. They had US and Canadian imports but probably only those who couldn't cut it there.

Last time I went though the reporter from the local paper was knocked out cold by a puck that crossed the barriers. Sadly this was more exciting than the game.
Well, I do get a bit "edgy" if I haven't rowed in more than 2 days. My labmates might agree with "obsessed". :D

I just find rowing to be very relaxing and it is nice to know that I do not have to go "full out" to have a good workout. I am quite surprised at how long I can row; at times I just do not want to stop. Having music or the tv on seems to occupy the part of my brain that would normally balk at the distance and leaves the other half to remind me to drive with my legs :wink: .

A few former Cornell University players have played hockey in England. David Kozier for the Isle of Wight Raiders (2002-03) and Manchester Pheonix (2003-04) and Denis Ladouceur for the London Racers (2004-05). I'm sure there were a few more, but these are the ones that I remember playing in Europe and could confirm with http://www.hockeydb.com. I took a look at the Bison's roster from the past 3-4 years and didn't see any Cornellians or other players from their league (ECACHL). Some college kids find it to be a good experience, they still get to play hockey and get to experience a different culture for awhile.
deerworrier

Post by deerworrier »

still play rugby(should know better) was good 10yrs ago played for M.O.D and then treorchy(wrong) its welsh you know:) then changed codes and played league for the m.o.d at inter service level, then went for trials with south wales steelers and got in. most of my days are now spent roaming the hills so i suppose hill walking is my main sport(soon be winter.....3k calories a day, superb flap jack heaven :D )
Mikey
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Post by Mikey »

Golf's the game....it's the only one i've come across so far that you can still compete in, having done a decent session on the C2 the same day! :wink:
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by mash »

Used to play football at semi-professional level until my knee went POP!!

Now it's rowing and Aikido plus the odd game of golf when I can fit it in.

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
webberg

Post by webberg »

Mash, who did you play for?

I played at semi pro as well until my knee went POP!

Played for Weymouth, Dorchester, couple fo games for Salisbury City. Like to think I was an overlooked answer to England's left sided problem. In fact I was an average player who lost the plot after being dropped by a pro team. I also find that the older I get, the better I was! :P
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
mash

Post by mash »

Webberg

Played for Bromsgrove, Tipton & Broadway - but knee went POP at 20 and I didn't play then for 18 months.

Started playing again but after another couple of years my knee made an even bigger POP which required cartlidge trimming and ACL reconstruction. Have played the odd game of 5-a-side since then but I think I will always have the fear of feeling that pain again at the back of my mind.

Seems you played at a higher level than myself though - could a budding FS footie team be in the making!

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
webberg

Post by webberg »

Not really Mash.

My knee went POP in 1984 with ACL and PCL disruption.

Had Leeds Keogh surgery (basically a piece of carbon fibre) in 1990. This failed in 2003. ACL/PCL rebuild in 2004/5 which required 2 operations 6 months apart. My footie days are over.

Apart from the fact that I am slower and less co-ordinated than I was at 20, the arthritis from the above, the fact that I ahve an 18 year old son who plays pro footie and takes the pi$$ if I try to kick around with him, the fact that my wife says she'll divorce me if I play again etc, I much prefer to bask in golden memories and I also find that every year away from the game I just get better and better. :twisted:

So no footie for me. I don't really miss it and certainly the prima donnas of the Premiershit (not a speeling errat) annoy me no end.

Now, where's that erg?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
mash

Post by mash »

Sounds like my knees have had an easy life compared to yours - I couldn't go through all that surgery again so I try and be VERY careful nowadays.

My only regret is I never disovered the erg until now - I would hope that I wouldn't have put all the weight on that I did and now having to work very hard to shift it.

I don't miss the football anymore and I whenever I go and watch any of the sunday league action it makes me flinch to see what I used to get upto - I must have been mad.
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Played league squash for about 10 years,used to run marathons and ultra-marathons(about 35 in total), triathlon(canoeing and swimming),cycling and a few long-distance swims.
Yesterday got back on my road bike for the first time in 4 years and rode a 98km road race - I had done the same race 9 years ago when I used to race regularly - was only 8 minutes slower yesterday despite the route being longer by 4 km and far tougher - testament to the cross-training effect of the C2 - will probably start doing some morning rides to get cycling fit and enter a few more races now.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Mikey
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Post by Mikey »

RESPECT....98k now that's what I call an iron@rse.

20k on my mountain bike and I can't sit down for a week - and thats got padding!

Mike L
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's
MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

As I've mentioned in my intro piece, my other (in fact, main) sport is chess (although some people may choose to disagree over whether it should be defined as a sport).

Doubt I'll ever be as good at erging as I am at chess (guess I'd probably need about 6:05 / 2K), but I can always hope.
:lol:

Max
Maxim Devereaux
32, 6'1", less than 100kgs if I'm lucky

PBs:

Designed for living; built for erging