Books

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Books

Post by webberg »

If you want a good laugh, then the Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle.

If you want something deeper, the "A Star called Henry" - same author.

Have finished the Snowman book. Obviously written with TV/Film in mind because the story ends about two chapters from the end and the rest is explanation and epilogue.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Roddy Doyle is brilliant.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Great to hear so many non Irish people expressing their appreciation for Roddy Doyle.

As someone who was born and bred in Dublin, an opening line such as "You're wha?" has enough resonance to be immediately understandable. But for someone who didn't grow up in Ireland to be able to follow the narrative flow proves what a genius Roddy Doyle is.

I would thoroughly recommend the books and, if you find them hard going, just watch the DVD of the Commitments.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Whilst the Commitments is one of my favorite films, I couldn't get very far at all with "Paddy Clarke".
Only one of two books I have started and not finished.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Wolfmiester wrote:Whilst the Commitments is one of my favorite films, I couldn't get very far at all with "Paddy Clarke".
Only one of two books I have started and not finished.
I managed to finish it, but it was not as easy to read as the the Barrytown Trilogy - The Commitments, The Snapper, The Van.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Paddy Clarke is a difficult read.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be similar to Ulysses (spelling?) but it certainly has similarities in terms of style and construction. Both difficult books but rewarding.

If you're into books with a "local" feel, then the Grapes of Wrath is just fantastic. Don't be sucked in by the film which is a rather glamorous and cherry picked version of the book. The ending of the book is bleak and will live with you for ever. The Hollywood version would never have survived the real ending and instead offers hope and reward for toil and misfortune. Thankfully Steinbeck avoids that in the book.

Also in terms of novels following classic pieces of literature, try the "Dark Materials" trilogy. Written for children but very readable. Based on Paradise Lost.

In a similar vein, the Dan Simmons "Hyperion" is based on the unfinished Keats poem and for followers of science fiction is a complete eye opener.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Tried the Dark Materials Trilogy but couldnt get on with it at all and gave up on it.
I picked up a scifi novel by Alex Scarrow recently called Time Riders. Its aimed at teenagers but I found it a fascinating and enjoyable read (time travel seems to be a much neglected genre in scifi although I do remember enjoying some of the Dr Who books as a child). I grabbed the next 2 books (on kindle) in the series and looking forward to the rest of them - looks like its going to be a 9 book series.
pb times
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I thought the His Dark Materials trilogy was great, but they made a complete horlicks of the Golden Compass movie. Shame.

Paul V
Huw Thomas
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Huw Thomas »

webberg wrote:If you want a good laugh, then the Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle.

If you want something deeper, the "A Star called Henry" - same author.

Have finished the Snowman book. Obviously written with TV/Film in mind because the story ends about two chapters from the end and the rest is explanation and epilogue.

Maybe - but still very good :-)

Have ordered Redbreast :-) - the first "Harry" novel

Just finished reading the beckoning silence - joe Sinpson - of Touching the void fame - amazing - couldn't put it down - describes perfectly the exhilaration highs and lows of climbing, and the dangers... a book that will change you perspective wise and make you analyse risk taking in all aspects of life :?:
Aged 61, 182 cm 80 kg.
Ut2 130-137 (1:59+) ut1 138-151 (1:53+) AT 152-161 (1:48+) TR 162-171 (1:38+) AN 172+ (<1:38)
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

I have just finished 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson.
This was recommended to me by Graham (webberg) a couple of years back at a FS rugby outing.
Well Graham, all I can say is that I did finish it. Although I can see how it influenced "The Matrix" I didn't really understand a single page! :lol:
Far out man.

Now on to another Patterson nonsense, before hopefully getting the latest Prachett for my b'day next month.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

I am working my way through an old South African radio series (1968-1970) called Beyond Midnight. I believe that most of the stories were adaptations of classic or contemporary ghost/supernatural/horror stories. I'm trying to identify the authors of the original stories upon which the adaptations are based (the titles were changed when they were adapted #-o ).

Basically this involves guessing what the original titles might be, then searching for copies and reading them to verify if the basic story-line matches. I've had some success, but many of the titles I'm looking for are out-of-print and are not available through inter-library loan. I suspect some of the authors are British, which is why I'm having trouble finding them.

Do any of you happen to have a copy of:

The Third Ghost Book, 1955
Dark Mind, Dark Heart, 1962
The Fourth Ghost Book, 1965
Tales of Unease, 1966
The Eighth Pan Book of Horror Stories, 1967
Dark Menace, 1968

In particular, I'm looking for the following stories:

"Claimant, The", Elizabeth Bowen, 1955
"Eye for an Eye, An", Sir Charles Lloyd Birkin, 1932
"Green Vase, The", Dennis Roidt, 1962
"Janissaries of Emilion, The", Basil Copper, 1967
"Mrs Smiff", Collin Brooks, 1955
"Short Circuit", Charles Eric Maine, 1966
"Under the Hau Tree", Katherine Yates, 1925
"Uninvited Face, The", Michael Asquith, 1955
"Yellow Dressing Gown, The", Sir Charles Lloyd Birkin, 1968

Have any of you read any of these stories or know where I can find copies?

Cheers,
zoot