The Ashes

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

The Ashes

Post by Scoop »

Thought we might have a thread on this and see if there's any interest.

Not off to a very good start are we Andrew :roll:

To any Aussies looking in, grudging congratulations on Siddle's hat-trick. Very rare event indeed =D>
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
MartyJ
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: The Ashes

Post by MartyJ »

Yes - a bright day indeed :) (Lucky Siddle fired up when he did, England were just getting on top).

Probably no point getting too far ahead of things though - our guys have to bat yet, who knows what'll happen :)

Kind of annoying though - I work only a couple of km's away on the other side of the river... would have been nice to be there today instead of at work :lol:
Huw Thomas
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Huw Thomas »

at 0-1 for the first over I went to bed #-o

Huw
Aged 61, 182 cm 80 kg.
Ut2 130-137 (1:59+) ut1 138-151 (1:53+) AT 152-161 (1:48+) TR 162-171 (1:38+) AN 172+ (<1:38)
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Its early days yet.............well turn it round [-o<

Siddles hat trick was special tho, whoever you support =D>
41 yrs, HWT, If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Predicting a 3-1 result for the Aussies.
Not really fond of either side but I suppose i should support England seeing as how half their team is disgruntled Saffers!!

Be interesting to see how Swann gets on - he's definitely the best of the England bowlers.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

The basic problem is that you should have picked Eoin Morgan. :mrgreen:

Bit of trivia here. Without googling it, how many hat tricks have there been in test matches?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Hmm, finely poised but tropical storms stopping play. I'm predicting a draw for this one.
paulgould wrote:but I suppose i should support England seeing as how half their team is disgruntled Saffers
:lol: Yes, but you have to make the difference between Saffer and born in South Africa to English parents Paul. And then don't forget that the Saffers are all Dutch anyway and the Aussies are all English and the English are all French and Icelandic and Norwegian (and English) (and so the debate rages....I'll probably start a nuclear war with that one :lol: )
Paul Victory wrote:Bit of trivia here. Without googling it, how many hat tricks have there been in test matches
Good question Paul. No idea, but in all test matches against all countries played in the history of the game, I'm guessing ..... about 8 :?: :oops:

'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Paul Victory wrote:The basic problem is that you should have picked Eoin Morgan. :mrgreen:

Bit of trivia here. Without googling it, how many hat tricks have there been in test matches?
Agree with picking Eoin Morgan Paul, think they may see him as a one day/20-20 man

In answer to you question I know there have been 4 hat tricks in ashes tests however not sure about in all tests, I'll go for 11 :-k

Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

Paul Victory wrote:Bit of trivia here. Without googling it, how many hat tricks have there been in test matches?
Hmmm :-k If I can't Google it, then the only way for me to find out is to keep watching QI until it comes up as either a question, or a quasi related subject in a Stephen Fry soliloquy. That could take a while - how long have we got :?: :wink:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
MartyJ

Post by MartyJ »

Scoop wrote:Hmm, finely poised but tropical storms stopping play. I'm predicting a draw for this one.
If was far from a tropical storm... more like an errant cloud, close by in the CBD where I was at the time, there wasn't even a drop. Showers are forecast for the next few days, but they are fleeting at best and shouldn't cause too much interruption.

Brisbane has been unseasonably mild so far - a few days before summer and it's actually still a little cool during the night... in fact if it wasn't for this whole global warming phenomena I'd be wearing a jacket right now, and only a few days from summer - insanity.

The Gabba test is usually when we get our first big storm of the (approaching) summer, but it just isn't hot enough this year... 27-28 degrees, cool nights - it's almost perfect.
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

MartyJ wrote:Scoop wrote:
Hmm, finely poised but tropical storms stopping play. I'm predicting a draw for this one.

If was far from a tropical storm... more like an errant cloud,
That's british reporting for you :roll:

Anyway....might be revising my 'Draw' forecast now after record-breaking one night stand :lol: between Hussey and Haddin. You've got to hand it to the Aussies - they always save the best for us. Anyone would think that they hate our guts :lol: [-X

Paul - don't wait 3 weeks to give us the answer to your question (otherwise I WILL google it :wink: )

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Ending up watching the Ashes at 4:30 this morning after the dog woke up during a thunderstorm and was too terrified to go back to sleep. Eventually I went doawstairs and watched the TV for about 30 minutes with her.

It looked as if Australia were going to be out of sight after the first innings, but the finish to the innings made things much closer, so who knows? I imagine England would gladly settle for a draw at this stage, though.

The answer to my question is 38. I asked a few people at work and the closest anyone came was 20. For those who want more details, this Wikipedia page should answer all your questions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Te ... hat-tricks

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
MartyJ

Post by MartyJ »

Much better effort from the Poms today... surely it's got to be a draw - we can't lose it can we? lol.

England will get a big boost from this fightback going into the next test... the Aussies will be doubting themselves again - sounds a bit like what happened last time :(
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Thanks for the link Paul - I'm amazed it's that many but then a lot of test cricket has been played.

I think a draw now Marty. There's no way we'll declare until it's out of reach for you. So unless Aussie batting collapse ...... :?:

or England batting collapse....... :?:

andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Great fight back by the boys =D>

Should be able to bat out for a draw which all things considered is a great result after the first 3 days. :D

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I guess it could still go either way, but a draw has to be by far the most likely result. I think England will feel very pleased to ecsape with a draw and will go into the 2nd test with a bit of momentum behind them.

I can see Sky+ coming into use tonight and an early start to watch the day's play before I go into work.

Paul V
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Not bad. I bet Strauss will be waltzing to the bar after that performance :D - and Cook too!

So the score reads 1/2-1/2 but psychologically that's got to be 0-1 to the Poms going into Adelaide (hopefully).

andy walls

Post by andy walls »

That draw could prove to be as good as a win, mentally anyway :fssmile:

Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Well, that looks like a pretty good start :D But this also looks like a bowlers wicket so I'll wait until tomorrow morning before I get any hopes up.

But wouldn't 0-1 be nice [-o< (hope I'm not driving any Aussies off the forum here)

MartyJ

Post by MartyJ »

You guys have to bat yet... we'll see what's it's looking like at the end of day two :)

Things are a lot hotter in Adelaide, expected top of 35c today, anything can happen yet...
SimonJ
Rower and forum addict...

The Ashes

Post by SimonJ »

MartyJ wrote:You guys have to bat yet... we'll see what's it's looking like at the end of day two :)

Things are a lot hotter in Adelaide, expected top of 35c today, anything can happen yet...
End of day 2, and things are looking good/not good (depending on your hemisphere!). :grin:

Simon
Simon 43, 5ft9, lwt

Scoop

Post by Scoop »

SimonJ wrote:End of day 2, and things are looking good/not good (depending on your hemisphere!).
Yes Simon. I have to agree. Our boys seem to have the situation well in hand :D :D :D

(Now DON'T b@lls it up [-o< )

MartyJ

Post by MartyJ »

Yes, I think the time for optimism is over... poor effort in the field today - if they held some catches it could have been a lot different, but top marks to the English batsman - especially Cook, he's having a wonderful holiday down here... I think it's pretty clear it will be 0-1 in a couple of days time.
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

The boys are doing us proud in the 2nd test, If Cook and Kev can hang around for the first session we would be in a very commanding position. We have surely got to look towards a knock of 450/500, a few cracks in the pitch then release the Broad, Anderson and Swann.......................Victory could be ours :wink:

How optomistic am I :lol:

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

andy walls wrote:Victory could be ours :wink:
i'm not quite sure how to respond to that! :lol: