The Ashes

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: The Ashes

Post by Paul Victory »

This is going to be a challenge, even for England. How are you going to manage to lose from this position? :P

Paul V :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Dont worry Paul. If there is a way to lose now, England will find it. :roll:
pb times
andy walls
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by andy walls »

If we can get through the first session without losing too many wickets we could get a 250/300 run lead. Bowl the Aussies out for 150, job done [-o<
41 yrs, HWT, If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

The Ashes

Post by Thomas W-P »

Stan wrote:Dont worry Paul. If there is a way to lose now, England will find it. :roll:
Replace "will" with "can" and you are on to something. But I think England can't lose from here. If we are skittled today for 200 then tue pitch is really spicy and we'll be bowling on it with a 100 lead. Nice. If we bat on and get 500 that will take two days and Australia would have to bat the rest of the match to save it. This is a more likely scenario. But I think most likely is that as I suggested, one side has cracked. England will get 500-4, declare and Swann will bowl fragile Australia out.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
MartyJ
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by MartyJ »

Thomas W-P wrote:England will get 500-4, declare and Swann will bowl fragile Australia out.
I think you're over analysing things... Swann won't even get a bowl, the quicks are doing too good a job :oops:
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Great day for England, a lead of 346, can't see the Aussies hitting the required runs against our attack! Ponying was looking like a desperate man at times :lol:

MartyJ

Post by MartyJ »

Our only (slim) hope is that you guys bat all day tomorrow and then continue on for about half a day Wednesday too... we might be able to last out for a day and a half if all the stars align correctly :)

Surely Strauss will want a lead of 750+ before he declares won't he :lol:
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Stan wrote:Dont worry Paul. If there is a way to lose now, England will find it. :roll:
I think losing this one is even beyond England's capabilities. At this stage, I predict an innings victory for this test, followed by an innings defeat in the next and England retain the Ashes.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Thomas W-P

The Ashes

Post by Thomas W-P »

MartyJ wrote:I think you're over analysing things... Swann won't even get a bowl, the quicks are doing too good a job :oops:
The pitch appears to be flattening though. I'm glad we have a spinner on board ;)

Not sure Strauss will want 750 :D. But I think he'll declare 9 down or at 600, whichever comes first. Maybe 20 mins before tea.

I can't feel sorry for Australia. We've been on the receiving end for most of my adult life.
MartyJ

Post by MartyJ »

Thomas W-P wrote:I can't feel sorry for Australia. We've been on the receiving end for most of my adult life.
Yeah I know, it's hard to complain (even when it's this bad), we have had a pretty good run over the last 20 years or so :)
Thomas W-P

The Ashes

Post by Thomas W-P »

You got two once a generation batsmen (Ponting and Hilchrist) a once a generation bowler (McGrath) and a once in a century bowler (no clues) at once. You also had strong openers. What else could you have done?

I do think that Ponting's captaincy was never tested since he could do anything and win. Batting was formidable and he could put Warne/McGrath on who would get wickets anywhere. I suspect that despite his wins he's a mediocre captain. Meanwhile Australia was getting used to winning and forgetting how very special that generation was. Now they are mortal once more. Bad for you but good for the game.
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Paul Victory wrote: At this stage, I predict an innings victory for this test, followed by an innings defeat in the next and England retain the Ashes.
Paul

Your prediction is looking pretty good :D

It will take a major disaster for us not to win this test now [-o<

Not too sure about your prediction for the last test though [-X

MartyJ

Post by MartyJ »

Thomas - it's funny how things work out though, when McGrath came on the scene, everyone was saying the same thing. McDermott was the last of our previous generation bowlers hanging in there and everyone was predicting doom and gloom of our tour of the West Indies when a young McGrath stepped up and everything fell into place again.

We've got a few good young batters coming up through the ranks - Phil Hughes has only just turned 22, Usman Khawaja 24 - who I'm sure you'll see picked for the last test, and 20 year old Chris Lynn (only played 10 matches for Qld so far, but already has 2 first class 100's)... those three I'm sure will feature a lot over the years to come. As for bowlers, a little consistency would be nice... Siddle and Johnson are amazing on their days, but unfortunately still have too many where they go missing... and Warne reckons Michael Beer is going to be great - although, will have to take his word for it at the moment :)
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I felt for Hughes today. Not the way you want to go. But he needs time... I remember in 2009 he was touted as the next greatest thing (one magazine picked him to open in the ALL TIME Australian cricket team at 19 after about five Tests!). Middlesex offered him time in the UK to "get used to English conditions" (read, "by sized up by gnarled pros") and he was found out. He needs a season in England - which always was the traditional journey for young cricketers. I scored an Essex "masters" team playing my village once. They turned up with some young U19 Australians by the name of Waugh. Steve got 100 off 28 balls and Mark did not get to bat (he was bloody rude and arrogant though). Which Australian Test players play in England now? I suspect they don't have the time and can make more in one IPL game than a season in the UK.

I would trust Warne's views on beer any time. I do wonder if they "picked" him because Warne was bigging him up. But playing no spinner did not help them much and they will need one in Sydney. I expect Hauritz to play.

I guess the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords. Whilst retaining the Ashes in Australia is great, I won't feel good until we have avenged the awful humiliation (a lot self inflicted by suicidal choice of captain) of the last tour. I'll be hoping for a 5-0 in 2013 :)

And for the record I predict we will win the last Test too (we have the better spinners, though I doubt we'll play two, though I would like to see Collingwood rested for Monty or Morgan), and all those clever journos who predicted 3-1 will be proved correct.
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

England have played pretty well for most of this series, albeit against a weak Aussie side - to be expected, losing 6 or 7 top players in such a short period.
I think the series will be drawn 2-2.
While the Ashes is going on, the top 2 test sides are playing a series in SA - SA vs India, with a very interesting finish to the second test looming - SA need 303 to win and have just started to bat, on a pitch that has yielded only one 50 in the first 3 inings - I fancy SA to get the runs, with Smith getting a big 100.
I'm going to watch now while I do the thing that may not be mentioned in the Sanctuary. :) :)

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Thomas W-P

The Ashes

Post by Thomas W-P »

I'm rooting for India. They need to get the SA monkey off their back. And they need to make Test cricket more popular in India, and this Test may help.

I think the (undoubted) gap between you guys and England is closing though.
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Yes, the gap is not very big, but England still aren't consistently good.

As for India, fantastic side on the sub-continent on pitches tailor made for Sehwag and Raina, but actually need to win away from home playing under foreign conditions to cement their no 1 ranking.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Well, that was relatively straightforward at the end. Off to bed now.

Paul V
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Paul Victory wrote:Well, that was relatively straightforward at the end. Off to bed now.

Paul V
Couldn't agree more Paul, a big well done, a 24 year wait but well worth it. It would be great to win the final test to round off a great tour. =D> ^O^

Scoop

Post by Scoop »

What a day! Fantastic performances all round but especially Trott who ran out of partners on his way to 200, fantastic bowling and 7 catches by Prior. Great credit to Andy Flower too. I know it was already very dodgy but for me the Aussies lost it when Ricky 'lost it'.

Please don't project "Don't forget to bring The Ashes" onto our Houses of Parliament again - it makes us angry :twisted: :lol:
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Scoop wrote: Please don't project "Don't forget to bring The Ashes" onto our Houses of Parliament again - it makes us angry :twisted: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Its looking good for a draw at the very least and a series win.....................hope I'm not tempting fate :oops:

MartyJ

Post by MartyJ »

I think you've got it in the bag Andy, lol
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

MartyJ wrote:I think you've got it in the bag Andy, lol
Hopefully Marty. [-o<

It was good to see two great sides come together for the McGrath Foundation, a sea of pink and hopefully raise both cash and awareness, well done to both sides and sets of supporters =D>

andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Well done England, a great series and all round team performance, the Barmy Army were fantastic =D> ^O^ =D>

Wonder if our footballers watched :evil: