aaaayyyy! (a mother's lament)

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM3

aaaayyyy! (a mother's lament)

Post by Daffy »

A bundle of mixed emotions for me today...I know kids are really only on loan to us for a few years, and then they must go off and do their own thing, but it is sooo hard to do that letting go bit. My eldest has just gone to uni today, and I'm so proud of her, and I know she will do good out there in the big world [-o< . But I'm left with a gut wrenching sadness too. Ah well. Such is life. It wouldn't be right to keep her for myself for too much longer, the rest of the world needs to enjoy her too. Luckily she is not too far away. I may be allowed to go and haunt her occasionally (provided I bear gifts/money/food... :roll: )!

One down, two to go.
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: aaaayyyy! (a mother's lament)

Post by zootMutant »

Not just a mother's lament... it's true for us uncles too. I feel like my niece is but a phoenix. Each year she dies. But she is born anew and comes back to life more wonderful than I imagined. Such is life. Your kids are lucky to have such a warm, caring mother. ^O^ And trust me, they will continue to surprise you. 8)
Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Scoop »

"Another one gone Lass? Aye, I reckon it's the way." Walter Morel - Sons and Lovers

Hard few weeks ahead but she'll be back soon complete with hugs and washing. We're programmed to resist change and the thought of babies becoming B.Sc's is hard to deal with. But they always come home to the smell of Bisto and the best bit is that soon you'll be able to tell her all the little secrets you've hidden for the past 18 years (not that there are any :wink: )
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
cweed
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by cweed »

Jane you have given her a great start. =D> =D> =D> Pat yourself on the back for a job well done, then medicate with chocolate as needed while you watch her grow from afar.
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

daffyducky wrote:A bundle of mixed emotions for me today...I know kids are really only on loan to us for a few years, and then they must go off and do their own thing, but it is sooo hard to do that letting go bit. My eldest has just gone to uni today, and I'm so proud of her, and I know she will do good out there in the big world [-o< . But I'm left with a gut wrenching sadness too. Ah well. Such is life. It wouldn't be right to keep her for myself for too much longer, the rest of the world needs to enjoy her too. Luckily she is not too far away. I may be allowed to go and haunt her occasionally (provided I bear gifts/money/food... :roll: )!

One down, two to go.
Hi Jane

I know how you feel. Our daughter went to Uni locally, so she lived at home. She spent an erasmus yaer in Salamanca in Spain, but was home regularly and my wife and I spent a weekend over there. Then when she was finished her degree, she decided to take a gap year with a few of her friends and got a year's working visa for Australia. When the year was up, she went to New Zealand for a year and managed to get a further extension when that year was up. She's now applying for residential status and if she gets that, who knows how long it will be before we see her again.

Having said that, she seems to be happy over there and the job prospects here in Ireland are pretty dire right now, so I can't say I blame her. But I do miss her. The odd sighting on Skype is not quite the same as having her here, but she's doing what's best for her right now and maybe it will be an excuse to visit New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup next year!
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Dobson, this is Free Spirits, not QVC.

'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Scoop, please dont respond to these kind of posts, apparantly they are not made by humans and therefore dont care. I am sure Thomas will be along to remove them in due course.
pb times
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I just deleted it.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thats unfortunate, I think Thomas needs to do it so he can ban the user.
pb times
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Stan wrote:Scoop, please dont respond to these kind of posts
Sorry Stan. Trust me to do the wrong thing :oops:

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Stan wrote:Thats unfortunate, I think Thomas needs to do it so he can ban the user.
Sorry about that. Next time I'll leave it up to Thomas. :oops:
Stan

Post by Stan »

No problem Paul. I pmd Thomas last night and he was able to ban dobson. He said carry on erasing if necessary but let him know who was doing the spamming.
pb times