Football - Saints

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Football - Saints

Post by webberg »

Picking up a question from Strider on another thread, I'm baffled as to why Pardew was sacked at St Mary's.

Clearly the players are as well. Losing 3-0 to Swindon immediately afterwards tells me that the players heads are not in the right place. Also Barnard getting sent off? He's aggressive on the pitch but I've never seen him get so riled up as to be sent off.

I think that Cortese and Pardew don't see eye to eye. Cortese does not really have a football management background and as far as I can see (he's a banker) and was seen as a safe pair of hands by the then new owner Liebherr, now sadly no longer with us.

Saints spent heavily (for the league) last season and missed out. We have started this season poorly (although if we win our game in hand we move to top 6 in the league). Patience has been stretched obviously.

There are also rumours that Cortese knows and likes Zola and perhaps sees him as a replacement? Not sure on Zola. Great player but very average manager.

My fear is that Cortese wants a quick fix and promotion this season or he will leave and the club could then be invovled in a bidding war again. The consortium put together last time by Le Tissier ^O^ might re-emerge and there are some very dodgy characters there.

All very unsettling. No clear owner, a CEO who is inexperienced and now without the backing of the owner, a manager with a record of success in the lower leagues gone, stuttering start to the season.

I have seen the first few games though. We are playing pretty well and I think that the 4-0 hammering of Bristol will be repeated many times this season. I just hope that we get a new manager and move on as quickly as possible.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Football - Saints

Post by strider77 »

graham wrote:- Picking up a question from Strider on another thread, I'm baffled as to why Pardew was sacked at St Mary's.
'Cos Nicola is a prat-how can you trust any guy with a girl's name-he wants a yes man and Alans are not yes men :lol:

C'mon you reds !!
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
webberg

Post by webberg »

I shall be at Rochdale game this week if you're around Mr Strider?

If not and you fancy a home game later in the season, I have a spare ticket that you can use.

Cuuuuuuuuummmmmmm onnnnnnnnnn youuuuuuuuuuuuu Redssssssssssssssss
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by alistairkbs »

Webberg

Try supporting Crystal Palace if you really want a soap opera !!

Warnock - administration - last day dramas at Sheffield Wednesday - a day when we thought we were going to be liquidated - Edgar Davids ???

The Saints are just getting started !

Roll on Muse next Saturday !
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Webberg wrote:- I shall be at Rochdale game this week if you're around Mr Strider?

If not and you fancy a home game later in the season, I have a spare ticket that you can use.
What a gent-Gaham-I can not make this weekend but VERY happy to take you up on your kind invitation in the future :D

My sister goes to every home match, she gets a free ticket too -seems it runs in the family :lol:

I only managed half a dozen or so games last season, but you are right there is nothing wrong with the team provided they get their heads right.

On Zola, this might just be the level for him and his status, great skill and status within the game-everyone loves him-will rub off, he could bring the best out of the boys :D

Don't lose your voice tomorrow-I always manage to-strange that :lol:
webberg

Post by webberg »

Mr Strider, I see that the Brighton game v Saints is on a Tuesday evening - 19:45 kick off.

This is 23rd November.

Might be a good one to pick if you can get to Southampton?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Webberg wrote:-Mr Strider, I see that the Brighton game v Saints is on a Tuesday evening - 19:45 kick off.

This is 23rd November.

Might be a good one to pick if you can get to Southampton?
Weekends are easier for me as I have evening commitments and I can drop in to see my sister in Salisbury afterwards, thanks for the offer though.

I though the Brighton lot were the most vicous supporters last year-was that your take too ?
webberg

Post by webberg »

Not really - I thought Millwall were pretty bad.

Have a look at the fixture list and let me know. I can't promise the game v Sheff Wed (my wife's team) and the Bournemouth fixture is also booked. Apart from that it's pretty clear.

I'm away over New Year and will miss the home games vs Huddersfiled and Exeter but I think my father will want to go to them.

Where is Salisbury is your sister? I used to go to school in Salisbury (Bishop Wordsworth) and spent some very informative evenings visiting the several dozen pubs that the city has.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Webberg wrote:- Where is Salisbury is your sister? I used to go to school in Salisbury (Bishop Wordsworth) and spent some very informative evenings visiting the several dozen pubs that the city has.
My my what a small world-I went to Bishops too, was probably leaving for Uni as you were joining based on our ages-59 and 52 !

So I think Blacklegs was still there and JEP and Tich, Hammy, Bode, Digger, do the names ring a bell ?
webberg

Post by webberg »

Closer than you think Strider.

I'm actually 53 (54 later this year) but actually only went to Bishops for my A levels. Must have arrived in 1970 or 71?

I remember Dom and the head - who left whilst I was there - and a maths teacher called Perrett? The head of PE was an arse called Bowman. He forced me to play rugby for about 2 months until I had a dispute with a First XV forward resulting in my expulsion from rugby as being "too rough". Played football there for 2 years very successfully though.

Went to st Mary's Saturday. Dreadful performance. Rochdale are just an average Div 1 team. They were organised but should have been put to the sword. We were predictible and plodding. No idea in attack except throw it long and high to Lambert. Ricky must have wondered what was going on.

Really fear for the promotion now. Of the next 5 games only 1 at home so hopefully we can pick up a few points but more importantly we can find the edge again.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

I remember Perrett, we used to call him Polly Parrot obviously, small guy but very very tough, he took us to North Wales on a 2 weeks camping trip, drove there and back without stopping to drop us off and same coming back, well obviously he stopped but literally we got our stuff out and he was off.

Ralph Bowman I remember him, I was not a great rugby player as broke my left arm and dislocated my collar-bone playing house rugby when about 14 yo , was too small at 5ft 10 ins and 11 stone at school and not speedy enough for what we used to call the wing

Anyway was OK at running and I remember Bowman taking us to an inter-school relay held at one the local public schools -it may have been Millfield.

It was deep winter and the course went through a river TWICE-as it was December it was icy cold but I was always a bit of a nutter (nothing changes!) and I quite enjoyed it-got the second fastest time that day-maybe thats why I enjoy the erg-I am just a masochist :oops:

So I earned his grudging respect that day.

As for Saints it seems we are back to Square One-I head a rumour that there is more to Pardew going than they are letting on, one of the Stewards told my sister that there were personal issues involved
webberg

Post by webberg »

Comments around us on Saturday were that Guly was signed into the squad by NC and Pardew was not consulted and didn't want him.

Guly came on as a sub but was woefully out of touch and wandered around to no purpose at all.

We now have Lalana out for at least 6 weeks, Jaidi not due back for a while, Lambert lacking form and a manager with no idea. Not good.

I remember my time at Bishop's as largely a waste. I was trying at the time to be a pro footballer and my studies just got in the way. Result was no football career and not great grades. Spent 10 years recovering financially.

The masters at Bishops were just not interested in helping those of us who arrived from the regions Secondary schools. We were denied places on courses we wanted, pushed into the rubbish "enhancement" subjects, given no support for having often to change exam boards between O levels and A levels and had absolutely no help in the simplest of things such as finding your way around the school.

I remeber on the very first day being told to report to "Number 11" with no idea of what that meant or how to get there.

Only decent teachers I met were Bradnock and (Jack) Walker - both English.

No happy memories at all bar the football. We were the first time that the school had a sixth form team and for two years we won just about everything. It helped that we had a couple of guys who went on to play professionally, about half of us were on the books of Saints or Pompey or Bournemouth and three played for Salisbury City.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Mr Webberg sounds like you had a hard time of it, I was priviliged then I guess having started at 1962 straight from Primary School.

I did find it a little public schoolish in the early years-most of the teachers were either from Oxford or Cambridge , once a couple of " normal "masters came in a few years after I started it got a little better.

Back to Saints, I think we have quite a good squad, we just need leadership and we are lacking that, its more of a dicatorship from my perspective, at the moment.

The Oldham match is appealing, could we pencil that in maybe ?

October 23rd
webberg

Post by webberg »

I think Saints Oldham should be OK.

I need to check whether I'm actually going. We're away one of the half term weekends but I think it's the end of the month.

Let you know tomorrow.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
webberg

Post by webberg »

Big test for the new manager tonight with his first game.

hopefully he'll be able to organise us to get that edge again.

Just spoken to my dad who watched the home game with LO. Like the other matches so far this season he says we murdered them but still couldn't win! #-o
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

I think Nigel will have the "halo" factor working for him, its a confidence thing and I am sure that the team will respond.

Remember what Brighton did to us last season when Gus Poyet had just been put in charge !

Based on what Adkins has done at The Iron, I am optimistic :D

His press conference was very positive and he made a big thing of making sure everyone knows that although he has a good relationship with the chairman HE is the manager of the football club, I like his attitude :D
webberg

Post by webberg »

AAAAAAAAARRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH #-o #-o #-o

Not good enough by a long way
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Webberg wrote:- AAAAAAAAARRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH #-o #-o #-o

Not good enough by a long way
Early days Graham, early days - MK Dons at home at the moment are a match for anyone and by all accounts as per norm we were all over them.

Just need that little thing that no one admits that exists, the rub of the green, a little luck, one great goal would be enough to launch our season.

Be patient it will happen, of that I am sure :D
webberg

Post by webberg »

signs are that the team under Mr adkins is finding its feet.

Tranmere offered nothing to be honest and were brushed aside. I would have liked to have seen a few more goals but a win and a clean sheet.

A win next week and we could be in or just outside the top 6.

I also watched the Bournemouth v Brighton highlights. Given how easily we beat Bournemouth, it gives me some encouragment that we may yet be pressing for promotion at the end of the season.

Mr Strider, we need to pick up on a game. I can offer you 20th November or 11th December before Christmas. In 2011 how about 29th January (v Charlton)?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thank you Mr Webberg that is thoughtful, I will consult with my diary secretary.

My sister was at the Tranmere game (when is she not ?) and in fact I was offered a ticket but had prior commitments, she said that we could have won by 5 or 6.

I believe that Adkins and the team will do well and his enthusiasm and ability to get teams motivated is percolating through-onwards and hopefully upwards :D