BP and Dantes Inferno

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JLiddil
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM5

BP and Dantes Inferno

Post by JLiddil »

Send all the BP execs to Dantes Inferno. Or make them erg for a month no stop
JD
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: BP and Dantes Inferno

Post by Stan »

A bit harsh, maybe 2 weeks non stopping erging :lol:
Not actually sure its fair to blame BP totally. As I understand it the earth basically farted. Methane gas caused the rupture leading to the leak. In my view the company which made the "so called fail safe" device designed to prevent this are the ones who are responsible. BP seem to be admitting the cleanup is their responsibility and will compensate those who have been adversely affected. Difficult to see what more they can do. I am not belittling the environmental damage and the damage done to peoples livelihoods which is absolutely horrific.
This is of course the impression I am getting from BBC news website and newspapers in this country. I gather you are a bit closer to ground zero so you may know different.
pb times
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I think many of us in the UK are watching the events in the Gulf with concern and hope that the efforts being made will at least mitigate some of the worse effects of the spill.

The media here seems to indicate that BP are doing all they can and have promised to foot the bill but that's probably not much consolation if oil is coming ashore now, near you.

Equally it has to be said that given the number of wells in Gulf and the continued drilling and demand for oil, and perhaps in the USA's case a desire to be independent of Arabian oil, a spill at some point was inevitable. The surprising thing therefore is that there was not a plan already worked out and ready to swing into action at the first hint of trouble.

Perhaps there was but the scale of the spill overwhelmed it?

If there was not, then it must be seen as a collective failure of all the oil companies and the Federal and State governments?

It must also be the case that the Global oil companies must have a collective expertise and resources to cope with more or less any spill in any circumstance and perhaps one answer is to impose a levy on them to create such an organisation or force them to create it themselves?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JLiddil
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by JLiddil »

BPs CEO

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010 ... -oil-spill

"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume," he said.

What a nimrod

The other thing is all the guys, BP, Halliburton, Transocean sit in front of congress and point fingers at each other.

And yes there is a failure of the government as well in all this.

The oil even if it stayed in the ocean is killing all kinds of ocean life. And they are spraying millions of gallons of dispersant on and under the water.

And we all need to get of the whole oil as energy kick. America is very guilt in consuming more than our fair share of the worlds resources
JD