Laser Eye Surgery

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

andy walls
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Laser Eye Surgery

Post by andy walls »

Probably a strange topic to post on the FS site however hopefully it will become apparent why I have.

I have used contact lenses now for approx 10 years, I wear glasses on rare occassions, not through vanity but I genuinely find tham uncomfortable for long periods of time.

I have been researching laser eye surgery for a few weeks now and whilst the web sites I have visited are informative I dont know anyone that has gone through the process and who can give me an honest opinion. Whilst I am able to read all the glowing references from satisfied customers on the web sites I am one of lifes cynics and lets be honest anyone can write anything and have it posted on a web site as positive feedback [-X

I thank you in anticipation :D
41 yrs, HWT, If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Laser Eye Surgery

Post by Wolfmiester »

Andy,
I know several friends and colleagues who have gone through this, and most will swear it's the best thing they have ever done.
My sister in law had to go back and have it done again, as the first effort didn't work properly.
Very frustrating, and a little painfull, at the time, but it was soon sorted. She's the only one who I know who had issues.
If I could have it done I would, but as I can only see (relatively) out of one eye they won't operate on the "good" one :)

On the plus side, if you did have it done and it all went wrong at least you wouldn't have to suffer that rubbish in claret and blue :wink:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Andy,
My neighbour had hers sorted a couple of years ago via a company called Ultralase. I think they are the only company recommended by BUPA (but this may have changed or I may remember incorrectly). She now doesn't wear glasses and said it was excellent all round.
The only thing was, the more you pay, the less the after effects if I remember i.e. if you pay amount "x" you get this treatment and it takes "y" long to be recovered with a few days in sunglasses/darkened rooms but if you paid 1.5x your recovery time is halved etc etc. Her treatment wasn't cheap - I think about £4k ish.

I'll check up and come back to you

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Thanks both, much appreciated.

Mr Wolfie, do I take it from your tone you are a Blue Nose or is football not your thing, this could open up a whole new world between us :lol:

plummy

Post by plummy »

Andy - it was Ultralase and she can't praise them enough. I don't know what the correction was but it was £1847 per eye cost

A couple of days was the full recovery time and not driving for a day or two to allow the focusing muscles to adjust - that was it

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

Andy - I wasn't sure whether to post as I do not have personal experience in this area - although I considered it for a while, I eventually decided not to, and after wearing glasses for almost 15 years, changed to daily contact around a year ago, and have never looked back (no pun intended :? )

As with the other guys, I know many people who have had this treatment, and found it incredible, with no after effects at all. Only recently however, I visited my mother-in-law (no Les Dawson jokes please), and was surprised to see her wearing bifocals, as she'd had her eye's lasered about 10 years ago. She explained that eyes will deteriorate with age (she's early 60's), and that even after laser surgery, you may need glasses again in the future. Indeed, when visiting her optician, he explained that one of his frustrations was that very few companies advised patients that laser surgery is not a lifetime fix.

I wouldn't suggest that this should prevent you from having eye-surgery - as I mentioned, many have had good results (including my mother-in-law), but just to be aware that is not a permament fix

On a final note - I'm with you in cheering for the claret 'n' blue's, though I haven't been to Villa Park since my younger days, and couldn't name a member of the current team (unless Jimmy Rimmer, Gary Shaw & Peter Withe are still going strong!) Growing up about 10 miles north of B'ham, I chose the Villa, and my brother chose West Brom - back in the days when the 2 clubs were in the same league!
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Plummy/Matt

Thanks again for advice/input. Matt, your right about the laser companies not telling you about the long term affect however I have recieved quite a good report from an independant medical adviser suggesting that by law now all companies that offer laser eye surgery have to offer a free initial consultation (which my reasearch suggests they all do) and they also have to advise you of any initial and potential long term effects of any such surgery, should make things interesting :o

Thanks for offering your support to the claret n blue, I too remember standing up the Holte watching my boyhood hereos, Gary Shaw being favourite. How times have changed and will we ever see such success again, I can only dream :lol:

plummy

Post by plummy »

Andy - I forgot to mention... Ultralase did actually say that in the long term, reading classes may still be required. Also, the payment was interest free (although I'm sure it's built into the price) over around 18 months.

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

andy walls wrote: How times have changed and will we ever see such success again, I can only dream :lol:
Getting predictable isn't it - I don't mean the so called "big 4", but the way that Villa hang in around 4th place until Christmas, then gradually sink down to mid table. Mind you, it seems that this trend has only been the last 10-15 years, so maybe it's just a blip! Here's hoping :? :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Mat Leonard wrote:
andy walls wrote: How times have changed and will we ever see such success again, I can only dream :lol:
Getting predictable isn't it - I don't mean the so called "big 4", but the way that Villa hang in around 4th place until Christmas, then gradually sink down to mid table. Mind you, it seems that this trend has only been the last 10-15 years, so maybe it's just a blip! Here's hoping :? :fsbgrin:
We live for blips down at Villa park, perhaps poor eye sight is an advantage at the minute............could save myself a few quid :lol:

Mikey
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Post by Mikey »

Andy, only just seen this post as having been a tad busy lately.

I had both eyes 'done' over 2 years ago.

I took the view that if I was going to have it done then the cost would not be an issue, so in total it was about £2600 or thereabouts. For that I had two initial consultations where the same tests were carried out each time and cross-checked, the most important of these was a type of 3D mapping of the lens(I think!) which is the bit that sticks out on the front of the eyeball. Provided that was of sufficient thickness (an individual thing) then they could go ahead with the proceedure.

On the day of the Op. I went with 'Mrs J' and was prepared with sunglasses and a close carparking spot.(top tip!)
On going in everything was checked again and then I joined the waiting room full of people all having similar treatments. When my time came they put some anathestic drops in each eye which slightly blurred the vision and the I was taken to the theatre room and was on like a dentist chair. The staff were explaining everything they were doing all the time and then there was a faint burning smell and the vision in my left eye went completely blurred apart from the tweeser type things moving the lens to one side where it had been cut in a semi-circle. (that was probably the most unnerving part of the whole thing) The laser itself then 'zapped' the eye for about 10 secs and the lens flap was put back and smoothed over with a very fine make-up type brush. Just as I started breathing again they did the same to the other eye!!!

The whole thing lasted about 15 mins from start to finish and then I left with 3 different eye drops and an appointment time for the next day. By the time I got outside the anasthetic drops were wearing off and even though it was an overcast day and I had my shades on, it was still too bright to open my eyes more than 1mm! - hence the tip about parking as close as poss. 'Mrs J' drove home and I went straight to bed and slept solidly for 11hours. When I woke it felt like both eyes were superglued together and it took about 2 mins (and some courage)to open them.....WOW :!: Absolutely Unbelieveable! That's when I knew it had been worth it.

In summary, its now 2 years later and I take it all for granted. The aftercare (I had mine done at a Vision Express centre) was good with numerous check visits etc.
Yes, I do wear reading glasses but that's just an age thing and unfortunately they can't laser that!

The one thing I don't miss though was the 2 weeks of going to bed with swimming goggles on to stop you rubbing your eyes in your sleep whilst the incisions healed :lol: :lol:

Mike
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's