There goes the neighbourhood

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

There goes the neighbourhood

Post by kirbyt »

Last night I was just nicely drifting off to sleep when I heard voices shouting or something. I didn't think too much of it for a while but when the noise continued I started to get kind of angry and looked out the window only to see, like 5 police cars or so parked on our street. Something was obviously going on. Police cars just kept coming. By about midnight there were fifteen cop cars and two ambulances parked up and down our block. A young man could be heard swearing at the top of his lungs. Then the scariest part: an unmarked SUV pulled up right in front of our house and two SWAT police got out and opened the hatch and walked toward the problem house (three doors down) with wicked looking automatic assault rifles in hand. They sent a german sheppard into the house and eventually we saw two young men being loaded into two of the police cruisers and by about 12:30 the whole thing was basically over. Two guys with TV cameras balanced on their shoulders came by about when it was over and interviewed police. I live in a nice quiet neibourhood. Really. I think.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
kirbyt

Re: There goes the neighbourhood

Post by kirbyt »

Well I guess I found out what happened. From a local TV station's website:
Charges laid after stabbing brawl erupts at party
Steve Lillebuen, edmontonjournal.com
Published: Saturday, January 17, 2009
EDMONTON - A booze-filled house party turned into a stabbing brawl in Strathearn last night, sending three people to hospital - including the alleged attacker, who is now facing charges.

Five friends were drinking in a home near 96th Avenue and 85th Street when tempers flared and one man pulled a machete off his belt, police said.

He began swinging the knife at others, and when the knife was knocked out of his hands, he pulled out a second and started swinging again.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:
****Two people were stabbed in the fight and the attacker himself was injured.

All three people, between the ages of 25 and 45, were taken to hospital just before midnight with non-life-threatening injuries.

The man was arrested and is now facing assault and weapons charges.

Police said alcohol was a significant factor in the incident.

Pulled a machete off his belt? :? Sounds like a great house party, hope I'm invited to their next one.
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

I bet the 45 yr old was the one with the machete. You know how drunk middle aged men get... :wink:
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Hey Kirby - Emily is having a go at us 45 years olds!! :lol: *hic*
Surprised to hear about this sort of thing in your part of the world - thought it was confined to Britain and the US :roll:
pb times
Spikeola
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Spikeola »

Machete on his belt :shock: - I guess he was just a sugar cane plantation worker on holiday (given the benefit of the doubt) - although from what I've heard they are normally about 8-10 years old.

Totally shocked Kirby, didn't realise you lived in a HOOD :lol:
Michael Gough 42 (102kgs and keen commuter cyclist)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Kirby 'n da Hood :D Like it.

Kirby, maybe they were just letting off steam after a particularly heavy work out?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

Goin' to a partee. Favourite jeans. Check. Best shirt. Check. Lucky hat. Check. Machete. Check. Goin' to a partee. Gonna be great. Whoa, whoa, what the...I almost forgot my second knife. Mom, why'd you let me leave the house without my second knife?
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Was Gooner there?
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Shang-Chi
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Shang-Chi »

Hey Kirbyt
These things happens everywhere! I think there is no such thing as a quiet neighbourhood. There are people of low respect for human life everywhere!
Phil j
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Phil j »

Shang-Chi wrote:Hey Kirbyt
These things happens everywhere! I think there is no such thing as a quiet neighbourhood. There are people of low respect for human life everywhere!
Totally agree with Shang-Chi but Alberta couldn't be a nicer place. It doesn't matter were we live there is always some scum bag who wants to spoil our lives. :x
kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

Thanks guys for the nice thoughts. Yeah, it still feels safe to walk around my neibourhood. My son walks to high school every day and I don't even give it a second thought. It was just a weird thing seeing all those police cars in front of my house. And Janet, I think they had Gooner on standby but decided they could manage on their own.
Shang-Chi
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Shang-Chi »

Phil j wrote:
Shang-Chi wrote:Hey Kirbyt
Totally agree with Shang-Chi but Alberta couldn't be a nicer place. It doesn't matter were we live there is always some scum bag who wants to spoil our lives. :x
Just to put things in perspective. Denmark is suppose to be a place where you can walk around in the night without problems, but these days the Hells Angels and the immigrants gangs are literately shooting each other in the streets of "Wonderful" Copenhagen over the drugmarked and revenge of some things the gangs in between. We have had 48 shootings in very few weeks and only every 4th. time the police have found the attacker and put him or them in jail.
Some guy shot through a bar window from 2 meters point blank and missed??? And got his photo taken too, =D> As a teacher I am sorry to say that I know some of these "types", from school and from the neighbourhood and to sum them up would be: They are not too clever, infact they are pretty stupid, that is also why they drop out of school or end school with immense bad feelings and extra low grades. They are indeed crazy sociopaths all together! And it is not only children of immigrants.

Innocent people have been shot 3 times now and there is a lot of home burlgaries from esterneuropean scum.
Because of this new laws are made, because you home is "holy" and the punishment wil be hard now ( 10 years in prison for home burglary)

All punishments are being reviewed by the government and the police. Severel people have already got 7 or 8 years behind bars and is to leave Denmark for ever when they come out. Bye bye, idiots. They are born in Denmark but didn't get the most important paper that confermed that they were danish citisens. What the .... were they thinking? Good bye-ruth, home to Irak, Iran, Palestine, Somalia, Ghana, Afghanistan, Lithuania, contries they have no connection to anymore. But do you think this has made the ones left think twice, no way. I believe they think that they are dead anyway. :roll:

Some people has got their danish citisenship withdrawn because they have been using the system untill a extend the government can't not accept. How about that. :shock: Gives the scumbags something to think about.
BorisZ

Post by BorisZ »

nomugie wrote:I bet the 45 yr old was the one with the machete. You know how drunk middle aged men get... :wink:
Uh - a little booze makes some middle aged men become very friendly - of course just with my wife! =P~ :D
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Your wife must be a lucky lady... :lol: ...being hit on only by tipsy middle aged men! :wink:
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Sorry didn't reply sooner been in Canada on a fact finding mission. Went out with local police from Alberta. I was undercover dressed as a dog. First call was to a knife fight. They sent me in first, got kicked by a drunk bloke but one of the local officers tasered the suspect. Really enjoyed it.
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Not necessarily tacked onto the right thread but didn't want to start a new one...

Last night a police car screamed down the close followed by a van that stopped halfway down the close. Within a minute or two, half the occupants were out in the street wondering what was up. Then a further van arrived and blocked the end of the street opposite ours.
Everything seemed to be centred around a house opposite us and 2 along which to say the least is not a "happy place". 3 kids, lots of rows and shouting, separations and reconciliations - the kind of thing you'd see in a soap opera every night.

The mother (who is currently separated) arrived and sprinted into the house (I still didn't know what the hell was going on) and then there was lot's of shouting "we've got him!" Everyone concluded there had been a break in and they'd apprehended the blaggard red handed - oooh - excitement or what!!

The upshot then slowly unfolded -
The dad was looking after the youngest lad (about 3 years old) in the garden and then "lost" him - couldn't find him anywhere. Eventually he had called the police to report that he may has "escaped" and could have run off. He rang the estranged wife who called the police who sent 3 vehicles and 10 (yes 10) officers to search the house and garden (it's an average semi-detached) - they couldn't find him either - for about 15 minutes until one of them eventually looked behind a door and bingo! - he was there all the time, hiding.

If Hide and Seek becomes an Olympic sport we've found our next champion - 3 years old and evaded 10 police officers, two parents and a collection of neighbours who were all walking the local parks.

Last week we had Ambulances and last night we almost had the fire department aswell as Mrs Plummy was so distracted by the goings on she set fire to the garlic bread under the grill. It was only when I said "is something burning" that she went "Oh-crap" and dashed back into put my dinner "out" and then in the bin (something normally reserved for me to do!!)
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Once I could not find Elizabeth. In her bedroom. When she wasn't hiding. But I could hear her all along. Very strange and weird experience. (She turned out to be on the window sill, standing up, behind the blackout blind) - the window was closed :? .

3 year olds are small.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days