Musical Opinions - add yours here :-)

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Musical Opinions - add yours here :-)

Post by webberg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Need to add Twin Atlantic to the "Hits" side of the equation.
May I always desire more than I can achieve (Michaelangelo)

ID 140904

webberg

MUSE

Post by webberg » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:50 pm

I went to see MUSE last Saturday at the O2.

I'm now trying to decide whether it's the best gig I've been to or the second best. :P

They were absolutely tremendous. A 22 song set with 9 from the new album and the remainder from older material. I'm not going to post a set list in case anybody else is going but suffice to say that if you are a fan of the band, you will come away more than happy.

The staging and light show is a treat. The sound quality is also pretty much perfect. Given the amount of distortion and reverb they use, not once was their a screech or stutter.

That Bellamy guy can play a bit and whilst it would have been good to see the other two put some personality out, overall I could not find anything to fault.

They are touring Europe (east and West) and all I can say is that if you get a chance, GO AND SEE THEM! ^O^ ^O^

ID 140904

JonathanA
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: MUSE

Post by JonathanA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:00 pm

webberg wrote:all I can say is that if you get a chance, GO AND SEE THEM! ^O^ ^O^
Which I did, last Tuesday at the LG Arena in Birmingham.

I'd been sharing a very nice bottle of Rioja or two with a couple of friends late the previous Friday while listening to the new album (actually it may have been Saturday morning by this point :wink: ). We were bemoaning the fact that we had been too slow off the mark to secure tickets. Then we had a 'where there's wine there's a way' moment and ten minutes later we were the proud owner of three staning tickets for the gig. 8)

Inevitably we paid somewhat over the odds, but worth every penny IMHO. Can't disagree with anything Graham says but would add an honnourable mention for drummer Dominic Howard who looks a lot like Bradley Wiggins from a distance, but certainly knows how to bang a drum. As a result I'm prepared to forgive him the wearing in public of a onesie, which is something no grown man should ever do. Even when sitting behind a large drum kit.
JonathanA | more pedalling than pulling at the moment

webberg

Post by webberg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:34 pm

He did look like the encore caught him unawares and that he ahd already changed into his jim jams.

I saw Jack White at Alexandra Palace last weekend.

As was observed by my son, Muse is a show and Jack is a gig.

Jack can certainly play, in this case just about every instrument on the stage and used by his all female backing band. A lot of Blunderbuss, some new stuff and a few White Strips stuff thrown in, including a stunning "Seven Nation Army" at the end.

The venue was "different". A vast hall - all standing. Fans were there to hear the music and whilst there may have been a mosh it was not visible from where I was.

Great gig with no gimicks or lights really. just good solid music, great harmonies when requried and some good looking girls in the band who could also play.

Go and see him. It's worth the long time standing around.

The support was The Kills. Undecided on them.

ID 140904

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 am

time to dig out an old thread...
I keep popping to the odd concert/show/gig (not as many as I'd like, but better than none).
Went to the Birmingham O2 academy on Tue to see Californian band 'Rival Sons'. Almost on a whim, as I like gigs but my wife doesn't like rock/blues music. But I have found a kindred spirit in my new next door neighbor :-)
So us to 50+ somethings found ourselves at an intimate venue watching what must be one of the best rock groups around. They were superb, with the singer a real 'belter'. New album sounds really good too.
A major bonus was the support act, who I'd never heard of - 'The Sheepdogs'. Odd name, but a great Canadian band who seemed a fusion of Skynnard, The Doors, Allman brothers etc. Worth a listen.
Wolfie

Age 54 Height 6'3" Weight 95k

paulgould

Post by paulgould » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Wolfie, great to see you have revived this thread - I will definitely look out for The Sheepdogs as I really enjoy that Southern Rock/Alt country stuff - my favourite band at the moment is the Drive-By Truckers ,and if you really like that sort of stuff then the Heavy Horses and The Devil Makes Three are worth listening to as well.

If you fancy something more folksy/Dylan-esque then the Felice Brothers are definitely worth trying out.

They have just released the line-up for our annual IOW festival and it is pretty poor this year, but we will still probably go on Sunday when Biffy Clyro and Richard Ashcroft will be performing.
My daughter is also auditioning for a spot at the festival so if she gets in then we will obviously be there for all of her performances too.

Cheers
Paul
52, 1.75m , much heavier than I should be!!
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30

Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester » Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 am

One a bit left field, last week we popped over to 'the NEC' to see Hall & Oats, proper 80s fest.
My wife was/is a fan.
My conclusion, they were great :-)
Every song a hit, quite complex/clever songs, and they still belt it out at 71 and 72 years of age.
KT Tunstell as support too, so a good night.
Wolfie

Age 54 Height 6'3" Weight 95k