Not staying logged in

Where should the web site go - what should we do? Who has the time between rows?

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Not staying logged in

Post by Paul Victory »

For a while now, I've been having a problem with staying logged into the Free Spirits website. Up until a few months ago, I was automatically logged in whenever I accessed the site. Now I find I am nearly always asked to enter my username and password to log in. Sometimes this happens when I am already logged in - I go to submit a post and then discover I've been logged out in the middle of writing it!

I'm wondering if this is due to a change in the security settings of the site. Has anyone else been encountering similar problems?

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Re: Not staying logged in

Post by plummy »

Not seen any evidence of that Paul - have you contacted Thomas?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks plummy. I haven't contacted Thomas. I know he's busy with other things and don't want to bother him unnecessarily. It's not that troublesome, just slightly irritating at times. I was just wondering if it was a general problem.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

There is a setting in your profile to keep you logged in - has that changed?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:52 pm There is a setting in your profile to keep you logged in - has that changed?
Good point plummy. Maybe I inadvertently changed my setting. I went into my User Control Panel, but I couldn't figure out where to confirm whether or not I want to stay logged in. My recollection is that a prompt comes us when logging in and I always tick yes. But maybe there's some overall setting that overrides this?
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Do you have this problem on different computers and with different browsers?

The only reason I ask is that your ability to stay logged on requires (some) cookies be stored on your computer by your web browser. I have recently noticed that some browsers have changed the default behaviour for saving cookies. If those cookie gets deleted when you close your browser, then the next time you visit the website, the website won't be able to identify you and it will prompt you for your logon credentials.

There is a trade off between privacy and staying logged on.

Don't know if this is the problem you're seeing or not.

Cheers,
zoot
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

zootMutant wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 am Do you have this problem on different computers and with different browsers?

The only reason I ask is that your ability to stay logged on requires (some) cookies be stored on your computer by your web browser. I have recently noticed that some browsers have changed the default behaviour for saving cookies. If those cookie gets deleted when you close your browser, then the next time you visit the website, the website won't be able to identify you and it will prompt you for your logon credentials.

Cheers,
zoot
I mainly use my iPad, but occasionally my phone or my PC. I think the problem exists on all three, but I'm not sure.

It happened again just now. I was logged in yesterday and hadn't closed the browser, but I was logged out when I refreshed the page.
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Paul Victory wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:02 am
zootMutant wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 am Do you have this problem on different computers and with different browsers?

Cheers,
zoot
I mainly use my iPad, but occasionally my phone or my PC. I think the problem exists on all three, but I'm not sure.

It happened again just now. I was logged in yesterday and hadn't closed the browser, but I was logged out when I refreshed the page.
Well, I'm out of ideas. Sorry. :evil:
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks zoot. I'll check my PC when I get home on Saturday. I think it may just be the iPad, but it happened again just now. I tend to use Safari on my iPad - maybe if I switch to Chrome it'll solve the problem?
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Hey Paul,

Today I tried to log in from my work computer and I could not stay logged in. I am using Firefox.

I fixed the problem by going to:

Options => Privacy => Accept Cookies from Site => Exceptions

and then setting http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum to "Allow".

Like I said, I don't know if this is the problem, but most browsers have some sort of similar 'feature'.

Cheers, :P
zoot
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

This problem with getting continually logged out when I'm on my iPad is getting beyond a joke. I've been logged out four times in the last five minutes and when I went to respond to a post, I got a message saying that I needed to be logged in to post, even though my name was appearing in the top right hand corner as being logged in!