Crazy Bear Challenge

If you start a thread here, this is a commitment to maintain it (including a closing date if you require) and curate any entries.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

dr3do
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Crazy Bear Challenge

Post by dr3do »

Thanks Barbara.
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

My yesterday's HM was not too bad. The first hour my HRT was little higher (with tendencies to "rise") than the last half hour – can't explain it, but it felt like being in a good "flow".

…after finishing it I felt that I still have some good amount of energy in the tank, so after a short drink and pee pause, I decided to add some extra "effort"… and did an additional half HM, with same speed.

CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Interesting that you kept the same speed, Boris. I haven't tried back-to-back HMs, but did wonder how it would go. My elbows and lower back have felt this challenge, so I don't want to incur a permanent problem by overdoing more than I already have. A night's sleep is a wonderful, healing thing. :)

After #23 last Monday, I have rowed each day up to #29 today. Fastest of these was Friday online, #27 in 1:33:16.6 at a 2:12.6 pace. Did not suffer repercussions of this speed, as I did initially. The slowest was yesterday #28 in 1:45:41.2, which is a 2:30.2 pace -- I really rowed it around 2:26 but had to jump off briefly to deal with distractions. Watched Shawshank Redemption today and rowed at a 2:24. Very much enjoy the movie rows, especially films I haven't watched in awhile.

Scheduled to finish up #30 tomorrow. Then I can get back to just plain holiday craziness instead of both holiday and crazy bear craziness combined. :lol:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

CamiCrew wrote:Interesting that you kept the same speed, Boris. I haven't tried back-to-back HMs, but did wonder how it would go.
For now 2:08 is my solid base speed. The first hour I can go at 17-19SPM, then I have to increase the stroke rate a little bit… to about 20SPM.

Barbara, I don't get it… what's a "back-to-back HM"? :-k

Scheduled to finish up #30 tomorrow.
Impressive amount of rows, chapeau! ^O^ =P~
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Barbara absolutely brilliant effort well done you have true intestinal fortitude =D> ^O^
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Absolutely brilliant Barbara! And going to finish with a day to spare. I hope you'll be able to take a couple of days off to enjoy the Christmas festivities.

Boris, "back-to-back" means one after another. So if you had a done a second HM a few minutes after completing your first HM the other day, that would have been "back-to-back HMs". As it was, a HM followed by a HHM was pretty impressive!
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Paul, kind and helpful as always. Thanks! I got it. :-)
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Oops! Thought those were 2 HMs, Boris. :oops: Can I blame my little phone screen? As Paul says, good timing for a half & half-half. :)

Crazy Bear HM #30 is done. Took it out at 2:07-:08 and hung on for dear life. Such an interesting feeling to run at paces you never imagined were sustainable. I saw the sub 90:00 projected finish within my grasp for a good long while, but splits deteriorated when the going got tough near the end.

New PB of 1:30:27.4 at a 2:08.6, ~27 spm.
Previous PB of 1:32:17.2 at a 2:11.2, ~25 spm, Nov 27.

And that's that. Next year, steering far clear of this one, now that I've done it. #-o :lol:

Ps Uh thanks Alan re: the intestinal fortitude :-s :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Fantastic achievement Barbara. =D> =D> =D> Not only did you nail the overall challenge with two days to spare, you also smashed your PB twice in the process. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

Take several bows, milady and a very well deserved few days rest. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

CamiCrew wrote:Can I blame my little phone screen?
Of course you can, it's christmas time… a larger one… :mrgreen:
New PB of 1:30:27.4 at a 2:08.6, ~27 spm.
Previous PB of 1:32:17.2 at a 2:11.2, ~25 spm, Nov 27.
\:D/
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

CamiCrew wrote:- Ps Uh thanks Alan re: the intestinal fortitude :-s :fsbgrin:
Its a long phrase for you showed great guts doing this :D =D>

Fantastic new PB well done =D> ^O^

This long stuff really works :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Juergie
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Juergie »

Does anyone know if this challenge will be held this year? I thought I read something about it some weeks ago. But right now I can't seem to find any links to a CBC 2015.

Anyone got a link?
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Juergie wrote:Does anyone know if this challenge will be held this year? I thought I read something about it some weeks ago. But right now I can't seem to find any links to a CBC 2015.

Anyone got a link?
Stuart Thorp usually sets up the Crazy Bear challenge each year. If you post to his FaceBook page, I'm sure he'll let you know when (and if) the challenge is going to be set up. If you're not on FaceBook, I can post the question for you, if you wish.

Paul V
Juergie
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Juergie »

I'm not on Facebook so it would be kind of you to ask.

Do you have a link to Stuart's page on Facebook? Seems you can not do a search there unless you're logged in.
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

The Crazy Bear Challenge will happen again this year as it has become part of the accepted event calendar. It comprises of trying to complete 30 half marathons in 44/45 days starting mid November.

I should be seeing Stuart this weekend if he makes it to the Devon Championships so I will ask him for an update and advise on my return (likely it will be Monday before I can post anything here)

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Launch minus a few days -- who's in for Crazy Bear 2015?

Not me [-X I am decidedly and definitely NOT in. But signed up anyway. You know, just in case. :roll:

Jill... got your nerve tablets? :D and -- are you joining? :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I definitely won't be doing it this year as it would not to possible to fit in a number of HMs without totally disrupting my preparation for BRIC on December 12th. As it is, have had to abandon the WP for the last 10 days because of the state of the ergs here in Alvor and I'm just doing steady distance to keep things ticking over until I'm back home on Tuesday.

Paul V
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Signed up for this one - but doubt I will make it to the 30 or even close... ATM preparing for January´s 2k races, which limits the number of HMs I can fit in... :fssmile:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
plummy

Post by plummy »

First one ticked off. 23 seconds slower than my SB but 3~4 minutes faster than I thought it might be. Should have gone slower but happy to get one on the board.

1:28:56.5 @ 25 SPM.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Just got the okay from my eye doctor today, but I'm signed up now. Any HMs will be very slow, but it will be a good motivation to get some reading done :lol: Nothing today though, as one eye is still dilated. :shock:

Peggy
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Yay Peggy! =D>

Wondering if your doc understands the ramifications of clearing you to exercise... did you mention crazy bear by chance :shock: :lol:

And for sure take it easy on the eye. Slow is the way to go.

I queued up a few movies on amazon prime. Got stuck yesterday watching a truly awful thing with Julia Roberts. Have never felt so trapped on the erg! But had to row through it before 7 am to make breakfast and get to work.

Have fun!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Thanks, Barbara! The eye doc said he thought rowing was great exercise. But no, I didn't mention any pending rowing challenges. I was busy worrying that he might suggest that I end my 912 day running streak. The horror. #-o [-X

Watching a dull movie during a HM sounds like a special kind of torture, especially first thing in the morning. Bravo for enduring! =D>

Anyway, first one down. We'll see how far I get, but I'm going to need to stock up on eye drops. I did lots of rowing with my eyes closed to keep them from drying out. Not something I've worried about before. Although the eye that had the vitreous detachment a couple of weeks ago was kind of blurry, I still managed a lot of reading :D

Peggy
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Not able to do multiple HMs because I'm preparing for PIRC in Limerick on November 21st and BRIC in London on December 12th. But I figured I should do at least one as a show of solidarity, so I did a HM yesterday. It was a bit of a struggle, but I managed to tough out a 5 seconds SB, finishing in 1:23:25.3 @ 1:58.6 pace. I'll try to do some more HMs after BRIC.
plummy

Post by plummy »

3 completed now (I forgot how tough two in two days is). 27 officially to go (although I think it'll be 20 in total at best for me)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Here's the spreadsheet link for tracking, if anyone's looking for it...

Crazy Bear Challenge 2015

Five are done. I've purposely taken them much slower than last year, knowing I have erg tests ongoing and a race coming up. Speediest HM so far is a 1:40:51.8 at a 2:23.4 pace. At that pace and slower, it's more a matter of motivation and planning the time. Last year's blisters on my heels, soreness, etc have not been an issue, other than icing my elbow and keeping it stretched out. This year I have a Fitbit Charge HR and am tracking heart rate on it, occasionally comparing it to the old Polar chest belt/receiver on my erg.

We have a cold front blowing in off the Pacific this morning. Stormy clouds & wind picking up outside, so I'll settle in and pick a decent movie for #6.

Cheers.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"