Free Spirits sessions on RP?

If you are planning a RowPro session or want to get one going, post here.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Doc RowSlo
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Free Spirits sessions on RP?

Post by Doc RowSlo »

Anyone think that there might be mileage in setting up regular sessions on RP under the FS banner?
Might be good for esprit de corps and for recruiting new members.

We could set up some 30 minute, 10k, 60 minute sessions etc as a regular thing. There are plenty of RP regulars on each side of the pond, as well as some in the Southern hemisphere, to provide a good spread of regular times. Perhaps just prefix it all with "FS" and include "all welcome" in the description.

Just a thought. What do people think?
hewitt

Re: Free Spirits sessions on RP?

Post by hewitt »

Good idea Lee.I have already put a session up for my Hour row on Friday with a Free Spirit Heading. :fsbgrin:

I have also changed my town from Blackburn,and put Free Spirit there.It always says Free Spirit on the screen when i join a row. :fsbgrin:

Just spreading the love.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Seems like a good idea Lee as there's enough of us with Rowpro.

My issue will always be the training time as I usually row from 5:30~7.00pm (ish) during the week. Weekends can be anytime.

I'm yet to find a row that suits me since I downloaded version 3 (which I'm not sure is running right).

I like the idea of putting Free Spirit in your profile instead of your location (or maybe both)

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

I think this is a great idea, with one small note of caution.
I would not want to put any non-free spirit off from joining a session, which might happen if they see FS in the title. Am I being my normal overcautious self?
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
cweed
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by cweed »

If the title said Sub-7 well that would be off-putting (well for me, Jason would probably rejoice :lol: ), but Free Spirits? That is a moniker that is pretty inclusive. When I am looking for rows to join the title is irelevant to me. Usually I am looking for a specified time, distance or people my speed so I am not finishing 10 minutes later. RowPro users seem to have their own extended family circles regardless of team affiliation or nationality, so I doubt it would be a big deal to use FS in the title.
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
Den-J
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Den-J »

I usually start my rows between 5 and 5:30 pm as well Plummy ..I now have a picture in my head of us both sitting down at the same time and thinking "I wish someone would post a session at this time of day" :lol:
Age 55 LW Started rowing 26 Sep 08
*Set 2010
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

hewitt wrote: I have also changed my town from Blackburn,and put Free Spirit there.It always says Free Spirit on the screen when i join a row. :fsbgrin:
I like that one too, so have followed suit :fsbgrin:
Wolfmiester wrote: I would not want to put any non-free spirit off from joining a session, which might happen if they see FS in the title. Am I being my normal overcautious self?
I don't know Steve. The thought occured to me too. I guess that we can give it a go over the 72 hour team relay in order to "test the water".
JLiddil
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by JLiddil »

As a non-Free Spirit member I'm looking at this team to join vs my current team. But to the issue of using Free Spirit in the description, as a relatively new user to RP AND not a Free Spirit member I can see how some less outgoing folks might be scared away or shy. From my own experience in general it took a bit to just jump right in to RP sessions and not be intimidated by peoples 2K times or affiliation. I think it it part of the PR digital rowing should do. Unfortunately the digital rowing forum is pretty quite. When Pam is online she is a tremendous help. The concept2 forum can be intimidating as well with the likes of ranger so again people might be hesitant. Yes update the description and try to figure out how to engage the newbies and welcome them regardless of the title in the RP session.

JD
JD
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

JLiddil wrote:As a non-Free Spirit member I'm looking at this team to join vs my current team. But to the issue of using Free Spirit in the description, as a relatively new user to RP AND not a Free Spirit member I can see how some less outgoing folks might be scared away or shy. From my own experience in general it took a bit to just jump right in to RP sessions and not be intimidated by peoples 2K times or affiliation.
Welcome to FS :D
RowPro seems an incredibly friendly and welcoming on-line environment to me.
JLiddil wrote:The concept2 forum can be intimidating as well with the likes of ranger so again people might be hesitant.
I think that TSO has been banisshed from the C2 UK Forum so you could always give that one a go. It's more active than the US one by all accounts and certainly very cosmopolitan.
JLiddil wrote: Yes update the description and try to figure out how to engage the newbies and welcome them regardless of the title in the RP session.
That's the trick. I quite like Jason's suggestion of replacing the Town/City name in the RowPro profile with "Free Spirit". Now, when I check in for a session, instead of "Manchester, GB" appearing against my name, I now get "Free Spirit, GB" :D
cweed

Post by cweed »

JLiddil wrote:A as a relatively new user to RP AND not a Free Spirit member I can see how some less outgoing folks might be scared away or shy. From my own experience in general it took a bit to just jump right in to RP sessions and not be intimidated by peoples 2K times or affiliation.
JD I think we have been on the digital river a few times together already. Pam does do a lot for newbies as they realize it is intimidating. I know for the ladies Ellen Dollar (LN) is a good ambassador. It is intimidating at first; it is one of the biggest complaints I hear from the ladies because most of us are so much slower. My flat out does not even come close to the recovery pace most guys row at. :roll: But once you have been on a while you start to get to know the players, who can match you, who is faster and who is slower. I am no longer shy about jumping on a row. If it is a timed row, no problem, but if it is a distance row if I know they are faster (and most are) I just tell them not to wait at the end. If they do great, if not they don't feel bad. It is nice to have company even if if they are a 1000m further down the river. I can't tell you how many times I have sat back and watched a group duke it out for digital river supremacy.

As far as teams go, I can't recommend Free Spirits highly enough. I agree with you on the forums completely, RP is quiet and US C2 populated by at least one weirdo. When I took a quick at the US forum I thought definitely not for me. I joined FS when I got my C2 but did not realize how active the team was. Plummy invited me join the forum during the FRC....I lurked for days before I posted anything. Now I have this extended erging family (who understand my obsession :lol: ). There is lots a great feedback, comiserating if needed, encouragement always, and some terrific people. I have done things I never thought I would be capable of all due to the the team support. It is a great team and we would be glad to have you join us. :fsbgrin:
JLiddil
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by JLiddil »

I get it cweed (sea weed) :D .Yes you have given me quite a run on Sunday a few times. I really like the setup here using Google docs and others geek stuff, since I am one. As much as I want to try to contribute on the C2 US forum it seems certain personalities just over take everything and bring out the worst in me. I guess I'm trying to find a place that is more of what I am used to with my other hobbies/interests and the internet forums. I'm a bit old school (well not that old) but sometimes think the days of VT100s and netiquette were not so bad. Admins had no qualms telling people to take their stuff to alt.flame.wars.

JD
JD
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

JLiddil wrote:I get it cweed (sea weed) :D .Yes you have given me quite a run on Sunday a few times. I really like the setup here using Google docs and others geek stuff, since I am one. As much as I want to try to contribute on the C2 US forum it seems certain personalities just over take everything and bring out the worst in me. I guess I'm trying to find a place that is more of what I am used to with my other hobbies/interests and the internet forums. I'm a bit old school (well not that old) but sometimes think the days of VT100s and netiquette were not so bad. Admins had no qualms telling people to take their stuff to alt.flame.wars.

JD
You are welcome to join our team and have your say.We are all very friendly people with a similar goal.Some to go faster and some to loose weight,and some to do both.You might even want to get involved in some of the Mad challenges.100k rows and 24 Hour rows. :shock:
Or you could just enjoy the motavation of being in a GREAT TEAM. :fsbgrin:

51 years old.
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Somebody does not like us having FREE SPIRITS after our names on RowPro.They have changed mine back to BB1,GB. :? :?

51 years old.
cweed

Post by cweed »

hewitt wrote:Somebody does not like us having FREE SPIRITS after our names on RowPro.They have changed mine back to BB1,GB. :? :?
Maybe we should ask Pam if they will incorporate team kit options for the avatars in the next version. :lol:
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

hewitt wrote:Somebody does not like us having FREE SPIRITS after our names on RowPro.They have changed mine back to BB1,GB. :? :?
That seems somewhat sinister. I'll have to check whether they've done the same to me.
I really don't see why they would object to naming your home town "Free Spirit".
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Duckrunner »

I did not experience any changes to my rows that I put up during the 72 hr Relay. I named them ArcherNZ Free Spirits 1 Hour....did not seem to annoy anyone, although I admit that i did not attract many other rowers for company!! :(

Rowpro has been great for me, it has taken me some time to find people who row around my standard, Gabi Krause from RowPro Rowers is very enthusiastic and has invited me to several rows where there is a variety of standards...ie 4 x 2ks on Wednesday night GMT..early for me...but it was a great bunch of people about 10 of them, some rowing at 1.48 ...others mid 1.50's and the remainder around 1.58 to 2.03...so plenty of people to row with. Importantly all were friendly, inviting and concerned...as in dont feel you have to do what we do....good chat before and after each session.

I have also enjoyed re rowing against some of my better times....

FS are a respected friendly club i see no reason why we should not ad FS to sessions

Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
whizzer
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model B

Post by whizzer »

Hi Chris , I'd be interested in doing some row-pro training sessions with you as I've noticed your only a bit quicker than me over most of the distances.
I'd be happy to join you on some middle distance stuff (up to and including 10k), from June onwards.
I'm doing mostly short int's at the moment for the next 2 weeks then I'm away on holiday but intend to start w/outs again in June.

Gary.
50 y.o - 178 cm - 77kgs (up 2kg since 19/05/10) .
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

Doc RowSlo wrote:
That seems somewhat sinister. I'll have to check whether they've done the same to me.
I really don't see why they would object to naming your home town "Free Spirit".
A few days on and my "home town" is still "Free Spirit".
Try changing it back Jason.
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Doc RowSlo wrote: A few days on and my "home town" is still "Free Spirit".
Try changing it back Jason.
I had to renew my licence last Friday and i changed my home town back to FreeSpirits. :fsgrin: Seems to have stopped like that. 8)

51 years old.