Rowpro version 3.0?

If you are planning a RowPro session or want to get one going, post here.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Rowpro version 3.0?

Post by Gregor Andrews »

I thought I'd make sure I had the latest version of Rowpro, so I went to the digital rowing website and downloaded V3.
Now I've updated the software but they want an extra 40 us dollars as I'm going from version 2 to version 3.

Is there any benefit to using version 3?
I don't want to have to fork out more money on top of my 'lifetime membership' only to find out there are no improvements.

Thought I'd check before I try to re-install V2 again.
6'6" 1971
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Rowpro version 3.0?

Post by billwright »

Version 3 works with Windows 7 whereas V2 does not. Or at least it didn't on mine so got upgraded to V3 gratis as I'd only bought V2 a few weeks before the release of V3.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

billwright wrote:Version 3 works with Windows 7 whereas V2 does not. Or at least it didn't on mine so got upgraded to V3 gratis as I'd only bought V2 a few weeks before the release of V3.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:
Cheers Bill.

I'm not using Windows 7 so I'll try to keep using the old version. Unfortunately it now gives me a database error when I try to re-install it. :x
AArrrghhh, wish I hadn't bothered now.
6'6" 1971
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Gregor.Version 3 has live water and better graphics.It is also alot easier to set up sessions and Quick rows.(in time or distance)
It is also easier to navigate around.Version 3 seems to crash less than the older version. :fsgrin:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Doc RowSlo
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Doc RowSlo »

The graphics are much better in v3 (although I don't use them!). So it's much more resource hungry for your graphics card.
It seems much more stable than v2, although that may have more to do with the Digital Rowing server.
It's now possible to set up a QR that is a timed piece rather than a distance one.
There is now a function allowing you to link ergs together and row on-line as a pair or 4 etc (not overly useful for the solo erger).

At some point I'm sure that DR will stop supporting v2 and that it will become incompatible with the sessions created for a future incarnation of v3. That's exactly what happened with v1 and v2. So at some point, you're going to have to upgrade.

All in all the changes are relatively small, so if you're happy with v2 just carry on.
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Doc RowSlo wrote:The graphics are much better in v3 (although I don't use them!). So it's much more resource hungry for your graphics card.
It seems much more stable than v2, although that may have more to do with the Digital Rowing server.
It's now possible to set up a QR that is a timed piece rather than a distance one.
There is now a function allowing you to link ergs together and row on-line as a pair or 4 etc (not overly useful for the solo erger).

At some point I'm sure that DR will stop supporting v2 and that it will become incompatible with the sessions created for a future incarnation of v3. That's exactly what happened with v1 and v2. So at some point, you're going to have to upgrade.

All in all the changes are relatively small, so if you're happy with v2 just carry on.
cheers Doc, think I'm much better off with V2 as the spare PC I have in the rowing room is on it's last legs.

Regarding V2, I had to email Digital Rowing to get rowpro up and running again.
If anyone else makes the same mistake as me, here's what you need to do to get V2 working again:
When you upgraded to v3, your RowPro database was upgraded automatically to v3. To downgrade to v2, you need to restore your v2 database.

To do this:
1. Use Windows Explorer to find the RowPro database backup that was automatically created when you upgraded from v2 to v3. To do this, navigate to the folder ..\Program Files\Digital Rowing\RowPro\Backups. In this folder you will find one or more files with a .rpb extension. The one you want has the date and time when you upgraded RowPro from v2 to v3.

2. Copy (and make sure you copy, not move) the correct backup database file to the folder ..\Program Files\Digital Rowing\RowPro.

3. Next, go into the \RowPro folder and look for a file Rowing.mdb. Note the .mdb part of the file name may be missing if your PC is set to hide known file extensions. Rename the Rowing.mdb file RowingXXX.mdb

4. Once that's done, find the backup database file you copied into the RowPro folder, and rename it Rowing.mdb

5. Start RowPro. As RowPro gets itself up and running, it may automatically upgrade your now-restored database. Please don't interrupt this process, which may take a minute or two to complete. All going well, the database upgrade will complete successfully and RowPro will be all go, with all your historical data present.
Thankfully it worked a treat and rowpro is working again! :D
6'6" 1971