Another chance with RowPro

If you are planning a RowPro session or want to get one going, post here.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonathanA
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Another chance with RowPro

Post by JonathanA »

JonathanA wrote:The evaluation user was me. I am now officially frustrated with my RowPro evaluation. It is clearly a great toy and that I would use a lot if only it didn't keep causing Blue Sreen errors on my computer. :evil: It is doing this more that half of the time! :twisted: The lap top I am using is a high spec so I would be suprised if it were the hardware...
Further to my post back in the autumn, my RowPro trial lapsed without resolving the Blue Screen issues I encountered. I was disappointed as everyone I have come accross that uses RowPro finds it a great motivational tool, especially for us 'Home Alone Rowers'.

This week I have had an email from the very nice people at Digital Rowing to advise that an updated version has been launched. They have agreed to give me a new free evaluation licence so that I can establish if the issues are resolved before making a purchase. Digital Rowing seem confident that it will work this time.

So, early next year I will be back online for another try. I really hope it works this time. [-o<
JonathanA | more pedalling than pulling at the moment
Doc RowSlo
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Another chance with RowPro

Post by Doc RowSlo »

I look forward to seeing you on the pixel river Jonathan :-)
badocter
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by badocter »

Fingers crossed. Hope to see you !! :fssmile:
MHw 48, 6'2" (1.88m), 228# (103 kg)
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Hope it works too matey [-o<
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

I know this thread has been dormant for a few weeks however I have been reading up on rowpro today so thought I would visit this thread for ideas/comments on the benifits of purchasing rowpro.

I bought my C2 about 16 months ago and as yet I have not used the 20 day trial that came with it, Im not sure however if it will still be valid!! Im thinking of asking the wife to get rowpro for me as a birthday pressie next month however I do have some concerns.

I am the least computer savy person you are ever likely to meet, just working my e-mail and posting on here gets me stressed :oops: Is it user friendly? some posts suggest it may not be the case and it appears connections are often dropped. I work from a laptop that isnt the quickest in the world and Im worried it may not be suitable, its the only pc in our house so would be the one I need to use.

Whilst I continue to ponder any advise will be most welcome.
41 yrs, HWT, If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

JonathanA
True Free Spirit

Post by JonathanA »

Hi Andy,

There are many better qualified than I on the usability of Rowpro and the hardware required. With regards to the trial licence, however, I am sure this would still be valid. If not let me know and I will pass on the details of the very helpful person I have been in contact with over at digital rowing.

I did have some difficulties with the software when I tried it in the summer bit the latest version is supposed to have ironed these out so I am about to try again with a new evaluation licence provided foc by digital rowing.

Good luck with it. Everyone tells me it's the bee's knees!
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

Hi Andy,

Your trial license will still be valid but you can get another one from the Digital Rowing website anyway, if it isn't.
The system requirements for the program are relatively modest and you can find them here: http://www.digitalrowing.com/Products/Home/index.htm About half way down there's a tab marked "System Specification"
You can find your own PC's specs by clicking on the "Start" button at the bottom left of your screen and then All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Information
Please note that it won't run on an Apple Mac machine unless it's using Windows simulation.

There were initially problems with v3 (the current one) with the graphics display crashing some PC's but this seems to have been resolved.

The program itself is very user friendly (at least the on-line racing bit is; I don't use the rest), but like everything takes a little bit of familiarisation.

You are quite right about there being connection issues, but most of these seem to be with the RowPro server rather than your local PC and not a big deal. If your home internet connection is fairly stable then you're unlikely to have major worries.

Give it a go. You've got 20 days free anyway and are bound to love it coz everyone does :fsbgrin:
badocter
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by badocter »

I pretty much agree with everything Lee said. :D For the 20 day trial you just download it from their website and install on your PC...it will work for the first 20 days without any registration code - after that you have to buy a license to continue using.
MHw 48, 6'2" (1.88m), 228# (103 kg)
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Remember you only need to pay around £20.00 ? / year after the free period its worth making sure you use 3.016 spec as the previous one wouln't run live water on my laptop not that its worth that much anyway the live water that is. Any questions feel free to ask.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Remember you only need to pay around £20.00 ? / year after the free period its worth making sure you use V3.016 spec as the previous one wouln't run live water on my laptop not that its worth that much anyway the live water that is. Any questions feel free to ask.
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Thanks for the advice guys, I downloaded the disc onto my pc last night however I have not registered it yet as work committments mean I wont get the best use out of my 20free days, I plan to register on Friday night and use it over the weekend. :fswink:

It is advertised for sale at $99 which I think roughly equates to £60/65. Colin has suggested the licence is around £20, am I missing something or is there a way of obtaining it for this price during the trial period :?:

Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

andy walls wrote:It is advertised for sale at $99 which I think roughly equates to £60/65. Colin has suggested the licence is around £20, am I missing something or is there a way of obtaining it for this price during the trial period :?:
I think that that's the upgrade price from v2.3 but could be mistaken. I'm not aware of any special promotions just now.

So, are you planning to join our FS 10k on Saturday at 12:45 GMT :fswink:
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Andy if you go on the C2 site and go to the SHOP section at the top of the page C2 will sell you the rowpro for just under £20.For 1 year or £69 for life.
They send you an e-mail with your licence number in it within 3 working days.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

hewitt wrote:Andy if you go on the C2 site and go to the SHOP section at the top of the page C2 will sell you the rowpro for just under £20.For 1 year or £69 for life.
They send you an e-mail with your licence number in it within 3 working days.
Bloody hell Jase (sorry can I say bloody) where the hell have you got to, get your backside back to FS mate, enjoyed the banter/support and I know deep down you miss us all :fsbgrin:

Lee, not sure about the 10k on Saturday as Mrs W often has plans that involve me driving to a shopping centre somewhere, most my weekend training tends to be early morning or evening, will certainly try though, not so sure I would be any sort of challenge for you!!

stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Yer Jason How about it mate? I for one miss you.
JonathanA
True Free Spirit

Post by JonathanA »

Finally I have RowPro up and running, including 3d graphics. I joined a 40m Online row last night and it went without a hitch. I am now hooked!

I have to say that Pete and Pam at digital rowing have been great in helping me to iron out the teething problems. Finding updated software for my graphics card and loading service pack 2 on Vista seem to have helped.

Looking at purchasing a license there is an annual or lifetime option. Does anyone have any views on which is best? Does the lifetime licence cover updates?

I have set up a 30 min paddle at 20:15 GMT today (told you I was hooked) if any one wants to join. I am aiming for c.7,100m. I think DocRowSlo has joined so the is an 8000m plus category too!
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

JonathanA wrote:Looking at purchasing a license there is an annual or lifetime option. Does anyone have any views on which is best? Does the lifetime licence cover updates?
The lifetime option covers interim updates only. I opted for this somewhere near the bginning of v2 and got all of the v2.*.* updates free. I had to pay to upgrade to v3 (about £25 I seem to remember). v2 still worked fine with the server and was still supported by Digital Rowing, however, v1 no longer works on-line. I suspect that it's only a matter of time before v2 goes the same way.

I suspect that the current platform will be v3.*.* for at least 2 or 3 years so I guess that it all depends on the relative costs of yearly and lifetime licenses.
JonathanA
True Free Spirit

Post by JonathanA »

Signed up to a lifetime licence yesterday afternoon (sounds serious). I will no longer appear as 'Evaluation User'