Marathon tips and tricks...

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Marathon tips and tricks...

Post by Thomas W-P »

JanetS asked for advice re a marathon. I thought a new thread might be an idea.

My 2ps worth...
  • Big bubble bubble wrap under bottom. Change every 5000m at least.
  • Drink lots of water - learn to row one handed and slug a gulp with the other hand.
  • Base it on heart rate NOT split. I will go for 130HR next time. Both marathons I did I tried for a split and died after 2.5 hours which is a bit demoralising and painful for the last half hour.
  • Eat bananas. I tried eating minstrels but my tooth shattered whilst crunching one in FM2 after 32km. Very disconcerting but I had to carry on didn't I!
  • Nothing prepares you for your first one. You can do 2.5 hour rows in preparation but the marathon itself still seems a very, very long way when you do it. (Let alone 50km every day for four days!)
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

I'll get round to writing a full note on here later with all my painfully accumulated experience from my 8 so far, soon to be 10 full marathons.

The one thing I would say now is that there is a world of difference between doing a full marathon and doing a FAST full marathon. Be conservative about your pacing on the first attempt, and don't try and do a fast pace on your first one, as that is a recipe for disaster and disappointment. If you want to do a fast time, aim for it on your second one, and not your very first attempt.
Bangers
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Bangers »

Keeping hydrated is obviously very important. To assist in this, and to save having to row one handed as Thomas suggests consider buying a 'Camelbak'.
Bentham Sports sell a back pack called 'Hydrobak' costing £19.99 this device holds 1.5 l of fluid. You can of course fill it up with something like SIS energy drink which will to keep you fed and watered all in one.
Roger B
M 81, 5'8", 74kg
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

I have done just one marathon and yes it hurt like hell - especially the last 10k. I bought the padded seat from concept2 and that helped avoid the sore bum but didnt help the back pain. I found I had to get off the rower 2 or 3 times to stretch. I didnt seem to need gloves - I never wear them so I guess my hands have toughened over time. I would endorse all the other points made on this thread so far and would definitely pay attention to any advice Mike can give.
pb times
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Marathon tips:

Don't do it in a heatwave.
Don't do 3 or 4 one day after another.
Don't tempt fate by discussing blistered backsides.

:D
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Mike Channin wrote:Marathon tips:

Don't do it in a heatwave.
Don't do 3 or 4 one day after another.
Don't tempt fate by discussing blistered backsides.

:D
:lol: Scribbles this down furiously in case she forgets.....

More seriously - thank you all. Especially useful re conservative pacing & HR -I'll have to dig out my old monitor....
I'm going to try HM - hopefully more than one - when I get back from holiday & before term starts. Then aim to build to attempt FM sometime in Oct. Gives me a chance to play around with drinks & seats etc.

I've a feeling there's a charity thing on in school sometime around Nov - could be a good time to do one - but I'd prefer to have a sucessful attempt (sucess = finishing) under my belt first :wink: (the motivational power of not embarassing onself infront of the kids cannot be underestimated!)

Big bubble wrap? That's different from the packing stuff?
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Stan

Post by Stan »

On the matter of training for it. The way I did it last year was lots of 1 hour rows during the week with longer distances at weekends. This would usually be half marathons but I did do 2 30ks. I am now convinced that this was not enough and this time round I will complete more 30ks before doing the full distance. If you can manage midweek 20k+ sessions then do so - time didnt permit me. I think the kinds of distances Paul and Derrylad are putting in will ensure they do not have too many problems doing the whole distance. I am sure Mike can add something constructive to this aspect of the discussion as well.
pb times
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

JanetS wrote:Big bubble wrap? That's different from the packing stuff?
The bubble wrap with bubbles the size of £1 coins, not the stuff with bubbles abpit 5mm across. It is all about avoiding sore spots - like the beds that shift every 20 minutes in hospital. You find that as pressure builds up in one spot that bubble bursts, spreading the pressure elsewhere. But you need to change it regularly or you lose the benefit!

I think I might get the seat cover from concept. I have the polystyrene thingy that came with the ergo, but it is not the same as a nice neoprene cover.
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Could try a cut down shower mat on the seat instead of bubble wrap.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Stan - noted on the longer mid-week rows. I'll have to see how the timetable works out but should be able to factor it in somehow. (I have to allow more time for 20k+ rows than you lot!)

Thomas - I'll start hunting bubbles....
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

webberg wrote:Could try a cut down shower mat on the seat instead of bubble wrap.
Ouch! All that friction and no popping of the bubbles. No thanks.