what training have free spirits been doing today?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

dr3do
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: what training have free spirits been doing today?

Post by dr3do »

Paul Victory wrote:You can say that again!
It's unbelievable hot at the moment. :mrgreen:
I got up early this morning to try and get some rowing in before it gets too hot. I was in the gym by 8:30, but it still turned into a sweatfest.
Tried that too, this morning. But hell, on my a usual paced steady state row I reached about HRmax. :shock: Was sweating like hell. Not nice. This heat kills me.

HR of a 10k row (today) vs. HR of a 20k row (two weeks ago as it wasn't that hot). Crazy! :-({|= :~c
Managed to do just over 14k in total
Really? Amazing, Paul! ^O^ =D> ^O^ \:D/ ^O^ =D> ^O^
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Very humid here today

Set the alarm for 5:45 - WHAT !!!!! :shock:

Jogged the mile or so to the gym

1 hour of synchronised sweating whilst sliding up and down on a hard plastic seat on a metal rail holding on to a plastic handle connected to a thin metal chain, that in turn was connected to a fan inside some sort of cowling.

When a lake the size of Lake Michigan had formed under the contraption I was sliding on I looked at a small window thingy with PM5 written on it and it said 0 mins and 0 secs so I stopped sliding up and down on the rail.

Got off and waded through the swamp and grabbed copious amounts of Blue Elephant paper to soak up the swamp and dried the contraption before putting on my tracksuit top and jogged home for brekkie

60-14155-2:07.2-23

PE 7/10
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

'tis a weird thing we do! Brave man getting up at 5:45 to inflict that upon yourself - but well done all the same.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

strider77 wrote:Very humid here today

Set the alarm for 5:45 - WHAT !!!!! :shock:

Jogged the mile or so to the gym

1 hour of synchronised sweating whilst sliding up and down on a hard plastic seat on a metal rail holding on to a plastic handle connected to a thin metal chain, that in turn was connected to a fan inside some sort of cowling.

When a lake the size of Lake Michigan had formed under the contraption I was sliding on I looked at a small window thingy with PM5 written on it and it said 0 mins and 0 secs so I stopped sliding up and down on the rail.

Got off and waded through the swamp and grabbed copious amounts of Blue Elephant paper to soak up the swamp and dried the contraption before putting on my tracksuit top and jogged home for brekkie

60-14155-2:07.2-23

PE 7/10
=D> ^O^ What a great write up. Made me giggle. :mrgreen: We ergers must be some sort of crazy. :lol:
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Nice write up Alan. Sounds a bit like what I did today, except mine was in the afternoon and I did 12.8k in just over 51 minutes. But it ain't half hot, mum! It's currently 36 degrees at 6 p.m. - that's 97 degrees in old money! :shock:

Think I might take tomorrow off. I am supposed to be on holidays after all. :roll:

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thanks Boris :wink:
Paul Victory wrote:- Nice write up Alan. Sounds a bit like what I did today, except mine was in the afternoon and I did 12.8k in just over 51 minutes. But it ain't half hot, mum! It's currently 36 degrees at 6 p.m. - that's 97 degrees in old money! :shock:

Think I might take tomorrow off. I am supposed to be on holidays after all. :roll:

Paul V
Paul, It's not been as hot as that here but humidity is high and I can sweat in sub zero temperatures :lol:

Today's session was 10 x turnover in bed listening to Radio 4 with cup of tea recovery followed by cool down of omelette brekkie with coffee :D

I may venture out to the gym tomorrow if I get the urge :lol:
Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Daffy »

First row in eleven days - breathing finally under control enough to contemplate rowing again! Loaded up with inhaler for a 5k, the first 2k of which I think I was aware of every (non)muscle in my body. Kept going though, and it got 'easier'! Glad to be back on the erg again. 8)
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

daffyducky wrote:Glad to be back on the erg again.
That's good news Jane - take it steady though to begin with as you don't want to risk a relapse.

Jill :)
Daffy
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Daffy »

Thanks Jill! I've rowed three days in a row, and the lungs are holding up well with the help of inhalers. The inhalers are being reduced now too. Definitely the right thing to do to avoid hard exercise whilst the lurgy was with me. I've done that in the past and suffered much longer for it.
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

Hi team. I have not posted for a bit because I have had a bad back (but not as bad as sciatica, thankfully) and very stiff hamstring. So most of my rowing has been plodding along with a stiff leg.

I have been mixing my training up since the injury doing 7:30min jog on the treadmill and 2k row in 7:35ish r22 and 7:30min on either the bike or stepper. Been doing 2 to 3 rounds of this depending on the intensity of the weights before. You get a really good sweat on mixing things up in a muggy gym. :)
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

strider77 wrote:Paul, It's not been as hot as that here but humidity is high and I can sweat in sub zero temperatures :lol:

Today's session was 10 x turnover in bed listening to Radio 4 with cup of tea recovery followed by cool down of omelette brekkie with coffee :D

I may venture out to the gym tomorrow if I get the urge :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like my kind of workout!

I think I'm suffering from a touch of mid summer blues - otherwise known as CBA. I struggled through 14k this morning having done various sprints yesterday (including making a total horlicks of the CTC) and now I just feel like lying down on the couch with a box set and a bottle of wine for the next few days. (Although, from tomorrow, the box set will be superceded by The Open Championship - Padraig Harrington going to shock everyone by winning his third claret jug).

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Jill and Jason

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but well done for getting back in the saddle and keeping things ticking over. Sometimes, I think we put ourselves under too much pressure to stay high up on the meter board, set new SBs, take part in the CTC, etc. Then other times I tend to paraphrase Bill Shankly - "Erging is not a matter of life and death. It's far more important than that." :lol:

Paul V
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Yesterday was 100% humidity where I live

I ran to the gym-well Ok it was a sort of old man shuffle but you get the picture :lol:

I am going through a sort of I hate rowing stage at the moment so I got on the stationary bike.

Was sweating a lot and decided to commute the session when I got to 10k in 18:15 when there was just enough water at the base of the bike to float the little paper boat I had brought with me for the express purpose of delighting the 6 am shift of gym users-it went down a treat :D

I used the best part of one of those Blue Elephant rolls up soaking up the water, which will not ingratiate me with the gym managemnt but hey ho :lol:

I then jogged the mile or so home in my soaking wet lycra shorts and tracksuit top trying to avoid anyones eyes as I dd not look my best :oops:

Today is a day off to drink beer and eat Tortilla Chips :D :D
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Some days ago I bought a hygrometer (it's a fast reacting model)… to get some numbers. :roll:

Our "erg room" is quite small, has only about 35m3 (1236 cuft). Today at 10:00 AM I started with a humidity of 42.2% and a temperature of 25.4°C (79°F). After 2x 20'/90"r and a 5' warmdown, I had a humidity of 53.4% and a temperature of 29.2°C. Window and door was open and the 45cm fan behind me was running (level 2 of 3). Before training I weigh in, also after each session. Even I drank 1.3L (mixture: 1.2L water, salt, 1-2 scoop malto, 300ml grape juice) I lost about 300gr of weight.

I love these temperatures together with this humidity. :~c :^o
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

hewitt wrote:I have had a bad back (but not as bad as sciatica, thankfully) and very stiff hamstring. So most of my rowing has been plodding along with a stiff leg. […] I have been mixing my training up since the injury […] doing 2 to 3 rounds of this depending on the intensity of the weights before.
I like love your attitude. =D> ^O^
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Yesterday in the late afternoon it started to cool down, even some raindrops fell. :lol: Over night we had a hearty welcome temperature drop. =D> :fsbgrin: Today AM I took the chance :roll: for doing one piece row of 90'.

Temperature/humidity at beginning was 22.7°C (72.9°F) / 65.3% and at the end 24.0°C (75.2°F) / 76.4%, that felt significantly better, than the shit heat the days before. :mrgreen:

As it's still very warm, I sweat a lot, therefore I have to drink enough – this was one objective. I set up the splits to 15' and after every split I stopped for about 30" to intake some fluid (overall: 1.5L water with 5gr of salt, 20gr of malto and 100ml grape juice). The bad was, that my overall wattage dropped with every 30" break by about 10-20W. :evil: But another objective was ≥200W. So… I rowed each split with a negative split attitude towards my upper limit for long distance - at the end of every split I was back to my objective wattage. :roll: I also kept an eye on my HR (respektive % of HRR). After 90' I was tired – of course it's dull – but still had lot of power respective no issues to upkeep with ±232-236W. As my overall workout HR was at 80%HRR, I think I've paced it quite well.

Happy with this workout. :D

(Sidenote: I had the impression that I was posting here too much, so I reduced it. So, other Free Spirits have the chance to post here too. ^O^ 8-[ )
JonT

Post by JonT »

dr3do wrote:(Sidenote: I had the impression that I was posting here too much, so I reduced it. So, other Free Spirits have the chance to post here too. ^O^ 8-[ )[/color]
Boris - keep on posting! It's really interesting to see what you are up to and the kind of training that you are doing. :fsbgrin:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Boris, that's very impressive erging. If my maths are correct 232-236 watts equates to 1:54-1:55 pace. To be able to do that at the end of 90 minutes continuous erging is seriously impressive. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

hewitt wrote:Hi team. I have not posted for a bit because I have had a bad back (but not as bad as sciatica, thankfully) and very stiff hamstring. So most of my rowing has been plodding along with a stiff leg.
Sorry to hear that you are one of the walking wounded at the moment Jason and hope by the time that you read this there will have been some improvement and you'll soon be Jason ' He Flewitt Hewitt ' again. :fssmile: :fswink:
strider77 wrote:I am going through a sort of I hate rowing stage at the moment
Sounds like you have mislaid your mojo again Alan but don't worry, it won't be long before it starts to miss you and wants to come back. :fssmile: :fswink:
strider77 wrote:I then jogged the mile or so home in my soaking wet lycra shorts
:-k Mmmm ... Alan, is this the men's version of the ' Wet T-shirt Competition ' 8) :D :wink:
JonT wrote:Boris - keep on posting! It's really interesting to see what you are up to and the kind of training that you are doing.
Boris I agree with Jon.

My training contribution would be, " Today I sat on the erg and rowed. " :lol: It would take up very little room so that would still leave plenty of space for you. :fssmile: :fswink:

Paul I'm doing my best for you on the Name That Tune Thread. :fssmile: :fswink:

Better go now before the Forum Police catch up with me. :lol:

Jill :)
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Just read through this thread and thanks Paul, Boris and Jill. 8) The hamstring feels better every week. :fsbgrin:
I have started my own kind of training structure if you can call it that. I call it "Random interval shit..." They go a bit like this.
713m x6 with 1min rest.

713m...1:49.6...r23
713m...1:49.1...r23
713m...1:48.4...r23
713m...1:48.6..r22
713m...1:48.0...r22
713m...1:48.1...r22

15:29.8...4278m...1:48.6...r22 (Average for session)
If you are confused...so am I. #-o

51 years old.
JonT

Post by JonT »

What training have I been doing today? Absolutely none.

I have moved out of my house but don't have a new one to move in to. I lost the argument that the C2 should be on the list of items that we keep out of storage until our new house is available :(

So the erg is in a crate in storage with all my other worldly goods. No erg. No training. Misery for the next few weeks. At this rate I may have to get out on a bike or something (yes I did win the argument that I could keep one of the bikes, but only on the basis that it could go on top of the car).
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Den-J
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Den-J »

Jason you are seriously mixed up mate 713 is not even a prime number try 709 next time
Age 55 LW Started rowing 26 Sep 08
*Set 2010
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Ouch! That's a frustrating situation you find yourself in Jon. When will your new house be available for you to move into? And is there a gym nearby that would let you join on a temporary basis until you can sort things out?
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Den-J wrote:Jason you are seriously mixed up mate 713 is not even a prime number try 709 next time
I'm not sure why choosing a prime number would be more logical, but I would be interested in knowing how Jason arrived at 713 as a target distance for interval training. Was it because 713 = 23 x 31 and he wanted to do it at r23 and there are 31 days in July? :? :lol:
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

More " Randon interval shit...". Because I can. :D 646m x 6 with 80sec rest.

646m...1:48.5...r23
646m...1:47.8...r23
646m...1:47.8...r22
646m...1:47.1...r23
646m...1:47.2...r23
646m...1:47.4...r22

13:54.8...3876m...1:47.6...r22 (Average for session)

Another 5AM session but there was somebody on my favourite erg. So I had to use the old one with a max DF of 118 and I usually row on 129df. I could certainly feel the difference. :roll:

51 years old.