Split: Rowing in a gym and how you feel

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

gunslinger_ wrote:While 2:02 means nothing to them, I love to cycle through the display and put up 1100 calories/hour compared to their 600.
Does this make me a poser or ultra competitive??
2:02 for how long? Ouch! Anyway, I used to do the same - doing 45 minutes and watching them come and go alongside. I always imagined that they looked in terror at my 2:05 or whatever it was, but in reality I think if they thought anything it was "nutter, why doesn't he run?".
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Schardenfreuder

Post by webberg »

Gunslinger, the peeking at others during a row just makes you normal.

When I used the gym machines, I was always trying that bit harder when somebody was next to me, (especially if she was young, pretty, lycra clad and "fit")- sorry ladies.

It was always nice to show some of them some simple improvements in technique that pulled their splits down. It was even nicer when they twigged that maintaining a good technique requires a different level of fitness. :twisted: :twisted:

I miss that. :roll:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Re: Schardenfreuder

Post by JanetS »

webberg wrote: When I used the gym machines, I was always trying that bit harder when somebody was next to me, (especially if she was young, pretty, lycra clad and "fit")- sorry ladies.
Damn - only one out of four :( Still - I can aim for 'fit' as well :lol:
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Motivation

Post by PSims »

Janet - just noticed you are just up the road in Windsor - you should come down to Reading one lunchtime and we can have a go! They have 7 x C2 Model Ds (jealous guys - latest equipment)
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

JanetS
True Free Spirit

Re: Motivation

Post by JanetS »

PSims wrote:Janet - just noticed you are just up the road in Windsor - you should come down to Reading one lunchtime and we can have a go! They have 7 x C2 Model Ds (jealous guys - latest equipment)
You're on!
I've not had a go on the 'D' yet :D
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
webberg

Model E

Post by webberg »

If you check out the US forum you'll see that there is a model E due out very soon. It is higher off the floor and has an extended monitor arm. I think it is also capable of wireless computer interface. No details yet on price.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Model E

Post by johnglynn »

webberg wrote:If you check out the US forum you'll see that there is a model E due out very soon. It is higher off the floor and has an extended monitor arm. I think it is also capable of wireless computer interface. No details yet on price.
Do you have a link of that ?
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
webberg

Model E

Post by webberg »

This issue was raised on the US website and was originally thought to be a hoax. However later the C2 US Forum administrator posted the response below.

Apparently there is a new monitor (PM4) that is wireless compatible. The races later in the year in the US will be on model D's but with PM4's fitted.

Cost is thought to be $1200 plus shipping.

There are pictures and things on the US Forum. Go from the C2 personal logbook page to the US Forum link. Click on "General" and you'll see the thread. The e-mail below is on page 2.

Hope this helps.

On September 1st we will begin offering the new Model E Indoor Rower in addition to the Model D. The Model D itself is changing slightly (see the end of this post for more detail). Please post with questions and i'll answer as i can.

Concept2 Model E Indoor Rower
available Sept 1

The Model E is the 5th generation of our successful Indoor Rower. It includes all the proven features of the Model D plus the additional features described below.

Model E Features:
• The frame is 6� higher, positioning you at a comfortable seat height
• One-piece leg design for greater stability and solid feel
• Nickel plated chain for low-maintenance and a clean look
• Longer monitor arm makes it easier to reach the PM4
• Fully enclosed chain housing for easier cleaning
• Powder-coated frame is sealed with a clear top coat for extra durability.
• Light metallic gray finish with dark blue-gray accents.
• PM4 Performance Monitor is standard on all Model E Indoor Rowers.

PM4 Features
The PM4 includes all of the features of the PM3 plus these additional features:
• The PM4 has the on-board computing power to support machine to machine racing, both wireless and wired.
• Built in Compatibility with Suunto heart rate technology (chest belt provided) which offers improved transmission and eliminates interference from nearby rowers.
• Rechargeable battery pack is included with the PM4. As you row you will actually be recharging your battery. The battery pack can also be recharged by connecting the PM4 to a PC through the USB port.
• The PM4 has increased memory capacity to allow for future expansion and features

The Model E will be available for delivery September 1st, 2006. Pre-orders are being taken now.

The photo above shows the new Model D alongside the new Model E. The graphics on the D have changed slightly on the monorail and there is a new framelock and footstretcher design that makes it easier to separate the two parts for storage or transport. The new Model D, with the PM3 or the PM4, is available for delivery September 1st, 2006. Pre-orders are being taken now. The current Model D is in stock and available for immediate delivery
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
johnglynn

Post by johnglynn »

Thanks webberg . I couldn't find that email but the details you wrote look very impressive. Does the concept2_UK normally release things the same time as concept2_US does, or are there usually delays ?
webberg

Link

Post by webberg »

Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
johnglynn

Post by johnglynn »

Thanks webberg that link works. Great find.
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Please try to stay on topic folks, ie "What do you listen to/watch whilst you are rowing?".

Feel free to start another thread if you want.
6'6" 1971
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

This is the thread I was trying to split out when I bodged up the "what do you listen to" thread. It is a forum error I think since my reply that starts it is not to a post in the original thread!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
gunslinger_
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by gunslinger_ »

speaking of rowing at the gym, we only have 2 'C' models. one of the PM2 consoles broke, and I'm trying to convince them to buy a PM3. What are the advantages, and would it be compatable with the old 'C' model?
PSims
True Free Spirit

Yes

Post by PSims »

Yes they are compatible - the PM3 is £150 in the UK and they give us a refund on the old PM2 of £30 when it is returned. Don't know if US do a similar thing?
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

gunslinger_
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by gunslinger_ »

Just found out that the PM3 will cost $160, which is significantly less than 150 pounds... I'm going to download the trial of RowPro, and give it a shot. Now the mooks at the gym will really give me wide berth when I start screaming at my laptop while I'm rowing. "Dammit! the pace boat is cheating!"
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Yes the pm3 is definitely compatible with the model C as our gym has 6 model Cs though only one has the pm3.
pb times