Team Challenge and MoonShot - What's going on??

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Team Challenge and MoonShot - What's going on??

Post by Mike Channin »

Last week we were running level with the moon for the first time, and holding onto Team Canada in the Team Challenge.

Now we're 1% down on the moon again, Team Canada have pulled out half a million meters on us, and yet everyone still looks to be putting in the big distances.

What's going on?

(Yes, I know I'm not rowing at the moment, as I'm trying to settle down the back problem - hope to be back at the weekend, all being well - that said, I'm sure my efforts if I'd been fit wouldn't have made the distance up anyway...)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by BigWaveDave »

Mike,

Think you will find that we have lost 3 members - last week was 267 now only 264. We were 0.5% behind yesterday but greater today and have lost a rower - don't know who but they must have had a nice number of metres.

I think with respect of Team Canada it depends on what time of day you look but I would think we are now 400k ish behind. Just all keep pushing the way we are is all I can say.
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Good point Dave - as most of our members have got large numbers of meters under their belts, anyone leaving probably impacts the moon shot.

We really have to do something about this - where is the team 'shepherd', Mr Webber? Do we know who the latest leaver is?
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
BorisZ
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

Must be 2 rowers above spot 50 - since I moved up two spots over night.
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

There was mention on another thread of three top rowers going. Can't see us pulling in TC :evil:
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by BigWaveDave »

You're right Boris, we added a new member yesterday BotswanaRowingTeam so have lost 2 but don't know who.
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Its time we found out who and more to the point WHY!!!!
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
jlemon
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by jlemon »

Yes, we've unfortunately lost 3 rowers in the last few days:

Gary McCollim --> no team [1,376,000]
John Sisley --> YMCA Hamilton, NZL [1,102,643]
Dave Ballantyne --> Team Canada [2,105,499]

We're FreeSpirits, free to come and free to go, but it would be nice to know why these people decided to leave. Especially Dave, who was one of the early FreeSpirit members.
--
Jonathan
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

WHAT hes gone to TC!!! SHAME!! someone who knows him please send him an email and find out WHY!!!!
Carole Sergeant
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Bearing in mind of course that anyone can come and go as is their perfect right-
SO those of us who are left will just have to work EVEN harder to get Thomas's rocket to its destination!
Carole Sergeant
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

With regard to TC pulling away - that is simply due to them adding 20+ members in the last few days.
Dave is a Canadian so may feel he wants to be part of a Canadian team but it would be useful to know why he has decided to go.
(I have emailed him wishing him all the best and whether he would mind telling us his reasons)
Correction - they have added 30+ members this week
pb times
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

AAHH so Dave is actually Canadian- I am glad someone has contacted him and I wish him well too- it wouldnt be nice to leave and no one notice or say goodbye so well done Stan!
Carole Sergeant
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

We are still in striking range.....we have a couple of aces up our sleeves....keep rowing and watch.....

Good points all.....we are bigger now and "things will happen"....but I think C2 has dropped the ball here a bit.....but we still love them!
big dave k
Rower and forum addict...

Post by big dave k »

it seems all the talk of the moonshot and january challenge has turned free spirits into a kind of schizophrenic club!

on the one hand you've got everyone saying how important every member is, regardless of meters, and how people are free to do what they want.

but then you get the same people chasing targets, pressuring others to row more and getting generally worked up over a competition that seems to fly in the face of what the club's about.

if team canada are set up to win the january challenge, good for them. if free spirits happen to win regardless, with people rowing how they want to row, then that's a bonus. but it shouldnt be the focus of the team.

im aware people aren't deliberately trying to give this impression, but that is how it comes across. it's a good idea to email peopel who've left to ask them why, but maybe not so if it's with an ulterior motive of winning some kind of challenge.

this is just my 2 cents worth. but i urge everyone to think about what is more important to them, the free spirits ethos, or winnign the january challenge!!
Dave

19, 6'8", 93kg

Stan

Post by Stan »

I see where you are coming from Dave and I am sure its not intentional. My reasons for asking Dave the reasons for leaving are simply to help us understand why people want to leave, as has been discussed elsewhere. Of course people are free to leave if they wish, but if its because we are doing something wrong then we need to know in order to address the issues.
If Dave has left because he wants to be part of a Canadian team then good luck to him and his new team.
If he left because he doesnt feel connected to the team then clearly we need to improve our communication with those members who do not post on the forum if only to ensure they are happy. Do all those who do not post even know the site exists? I know that recent joiners obviously know about it but people like Dave who have been with us quite a while may not know about the site. When the site was first made we did not know everybodys email address so they may not know there even is a website.
Anyway enough verbal diarrhoea from me - I will post again if and when I get a response from Dave.
pb times
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

big dave k wrote:im aware people aren't deliberately trying to give this impression, but that is how it comes across. it's a good idea to email peopel who've left to ask them why, but maybe not so if it's with an ulterior motive of winning some kind of challenge.
Hi Dave

Sorry if it comes across from me that Im getting desperate but thats not my intention at all!!!

I just want to get to my personal 5 million by May!!!!!! and I hate to see people go cos then I think they are unhappy with our lovely team?
Carole Sergeant
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

jlemon wrote:Yes, we've unfortunately lost 3 rowers in the last few days:

Gary McCollim --> no team [1,376,000]
John Sisley --> YMCA Hamilton, NZL [1,102,643]
Dave Ballantyne --> Team Canada [2,105,499]

We're FreeSpirits, free to come and free to go, but it would be nice to know why these people decided to leave. Especially Dave, who was one of the early FreeSpirit members.
--
Jonathan
I knew I saw Dave B. on my list to congratulate for his 2MM. Damn. Well, good luck to everyone.
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

Jessica-Red wrote:
big dave k wrote:im aware people aren't deliberately trying to give this impression, but that is how it comes across. it's a good idea to email peopel who've left to ask them why, but maybe not so if it's with an ulterior motive of winning some kind of challenge.
Hi Dave

Sorry if it comes across from me that Im getting desperate but thats not my intention at all!!!

I just want to get to my personal 5 million by May!!!!!! and I hate to see people go cos then I think they are unhappy with our lovely team?
In the Kit section, perhaps we need to introduce the Free Spirits leash, only 25 pounds. Free to come, free to go...<yank!> "Not so fast, mate!" :wink: :wink:
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Here's another two shillings worth.

This C2 month was a challenge. It has motivated some in a month where excess catches up with us to potentially shed some flab, row some more, get fitter etc etc.

From C2's perspective this must be great however they, in my humble opinion, have created a problem.

Any challenge on its first day should cap the respective team. If someone joins a team during that month they would have to wait until the next month to be an active participant for the next challenge.

If you look at the metre board you can't from C2's perspective use it to promote the sport by claiming x have rowed y amount of millions as there is considerable duplication.

Someone posted before that FSers were posting on different forums, sending highly emotive e mails and being down right unethical. To date I have seen no evidence that I am aware of that I as a member should feel uneasy about so I feel that the tone has been motivating not undermining or confrontational.

I in a way will be glad when January will be over. At least this club can claim we haven't poached anyother teams members during that period.

Or we e mail Ancient Mariners see if we can join their team. I'm sure TC would see the funny side of that.
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Gooner Neil wrote:At least this club can claim we haven't poached anyother teams members during that period.
Er, I suggested on the C2 forum today that anyone who wanted to help us was welcome to be a temporary member... :oops:

I am sure we can ask JL to remove him from the listings if everyone thinks that is a bad idea.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Jessica-Red wrote:and I hate to see people go cos then I think they are unhappy with our lovely team?
Me too, I feel responsible somehow. :(
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thomas W-P wrote:
Gooner Neil wrote:At least this club can claim we haven't poached anyother teams members during that period.
Er, I suggested on the C2 forum today that anyone who wanted to help us was welcome to be a temporary member... :oops:

I am sure we can ask JL to remove him from the listings if everyone thinks that is a bad idea.
I dont see any problem with this Thomas. Its clearly within C2s rules so happy to get temporary members.
I think we are closing the gap on TC anyway - it was about 200k today whereas it was 500k a couple of days ago.
This contest isnt over til its over and I cant hear any fat ladies singing. :D
pb times
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

Stan wrote:
Thomas W-P wrote:

I dont see any problem with this Thomas. Its clearly within C2s rules so happy to get temporary members.
I think we are closing the gap on TC anyway - it was about 200k today whereas it was 500k a couple of days ago.
This contest isnt over til its over and I cant hear any fat ladies singing. :D
I'm guessing that Gary has at least 300-700K "sitting in the bank," just waiting until January 31st to add them in, as a gift. :twisted:
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I think emailing anyone who leaves to wish them good luck, and ask if we can improve anything is good form.

The team is not just about mega-meters and the Jan challenge, but I take Big Dave's (well made) point that it may look that way at the moment. Maybe we need some kind of statement to that effect?
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

The mega meters and doing well with the challenges should only be the result of a strong rowing community and the FS effect. These things should be built upon what and who we are......what you people call ethos.

I think we will be fine.......