painful fingers and GLOVES ??

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jessica-Red
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

painful fingers and GLOVES ??

Post by Jessica-Red »

Recently the gym replaced the handle on one of our old ergs with a blue shaped plastic handle -since when I have developed trouble in some of my fingers-in the mornings when I wake they are very stiff and painful but that eases off as I move them-and it wont stop me rowing LOL! I have been told to start wearing gloves tio improve my grip but all the ones I try are hopeless-any tips advice or am I a complete wuss to contemplate wearing gloves!!!!??? and will my hands stop hurting SOON! so I can do my marathon in April!!!!????
:)
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Sounds like it is the Model D handle? (Are the handles are slightly angled down). I replaced my old wooden one with a blue model D handle and it fixed all the wrist problems I had been having immediately, so they are not all bad. I have fewer blisters too!

Is your problem grip? handle diameter? handle angle?

Tamsin uses the "pad" thingies that Concept 2 sells and likes them. I know that she is not the only one in the team that does that.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I've been using weightlifting gloves since I started erging cos I'm a wuss. Nah! not really - I found they gave me better grip and prevented blisters.

The type I found very comfy are DOMYOS basic gloves with a lycra back and thicker front pad from Decathlon Sports.

DON'T wash them with other clothes unless you want them ALL black though :?

Regards
Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by BigWaveDave »

Found that I was getting massive amounts of hard skin on my delicate hands :wink: so decided to start using gloves and have found that rugby ones have been really good. They don't have any padding but do stop the hard skin forming, they are also slightly longer in the fingers. The ones I have are by Kooga
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

I use the very macho gloves TWP was talking about. I got a lovely pair in racing red and a splendid pair in cruise blue.
When I wake up I just shut my eyes and choose a pair.

Life is so lovely in the Jain house.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

I tried a pair of rugby gloves and I got a huge friction blister.

I now use a pair of Nike general/weight training gloves that I got in Argos. They come half way up my fingers, so I still get some minor calluses(?), but I now find I can't row comfortably without them.

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

so Im not a wuss at all then !!!!

Id better look for the red ones to go with my name!

see newbies cant even hold the erg handle properly without technical support from all of you!!!!

but seriously thank you everyone- :D
Carole Sergeant
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Bending fingers

Post by PSims »

Jessica,

I have exactly the same symptoms as you - can't easily bend fingers first thing in the morning...and I use Model D (blue handle).

Have tried many different types of gloves, but the only ones that work for me are the C2 pads from their web site.

I think the finger thing might be early arthritis aggravated by repetitive strain...but I'm not going to the Docs to find out...cos she will say...stop rowing!!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

thanks Paul-thats the reason Im not going to my Dr either_IM NOT BEING TOLD TO STOP!!!

:lol:
Carole Sergeant
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Hi Jessica Red,
Recently the gym replaced the handle on one of our old ergs with a blue shaped plastic handle -since when I have developed trouble in some of my fingers-in the mornings when I wake they are very stiff and painful but that eases off as I move them-and it wont stop me rowing LOL! I have been told to start wearing gloves tio improve my grip but all the ones I try are hopeless-any tips advice or am I a complete wuss to contemplate wearing gloves!!!!??? and will my hands stop hurting SOON! so I can do my marathon in April!!!!????
I had this problem (I posted on the training thread, under injuries). It began in September; my fingers were practically numb when I woke up in the morning or after periods of "inactivity" (like simply holding a book). Ironically, I seemed to have the most "mobility" in my fingers after rowing.

To get the stiffness to go away, I had to get a cortisone shot. 4 weeks of PT (and even 10 days without rowing in mid-October) didn't help. It has been about 3-4 weeks ago and the problem hasn't returned (she said knocking on wood). How the physical therapist and doctor explained it to me is that the tendons in the fingers are swollen and are having trouble slide through the the small opening, kind of like a pulley system. If your fingers continue to be stiff, you might want to find a way to get the swelling down. The cortisone shot only put me out of action for 4 days (the doctor wanted 7 days, but we reached a compromise).

You might also want to to do a google search for "tendon glide exercises" to help with flexibility. The physical therapist suggested these exercises (making different types of fists etc,) and they have been helping me.

I did get a pair of leather gloves that have the "open fingers" (i.e. tips of the fingers are free) and padding on the lower part of the finger. However, the velcro straps to fasten them make my wrists hurt especially during the long rows. The gloves might be too big (and they are a XS!), so I may have to try out different types of gloves.

I made it very clear to both the doctor and the Physical therapist that rowing was very important to my mental well-being as well as physical well-being and that giving up erging for an extended period of time was not an option.

Good luck and I hope you get better soon. I was able to do the things I needed to do, but it is weird to wake up in the morning and not be able to feel/bend your fingers. [/quote]
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Hi Rita-thanks so much for that info-I agree abt the erging and the mental wellbeing !! Ive never been sporting in the slightest all my life and now Ive found something I love which has made a huge difference to life Im not stopping either !

I will try yr suggestions-what you describe seems exactly what Im feeling with the fingers not working smoothly etc -I think I may have made it worse also by spending too much time on my laptop !!! I need to learn correct keyboard and touchpad skills!

HAPPY NEW YEAR-and are you coming back to clocking up meters soon??? all the best from Carole aka J-red!!
Carole Sergeant
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

Carole, here's a website that talks about such matters and sells a specific brand of glove. http://www.newgrip.com/rowing.html

Not sure how great they are as having never tried them, but there may be some here who have. While my hands are like tree bark at this point, I sometimes lose feeling in my left wrist, mostly. I have to let it swing free at my side(while shaking it) for a few strokes while doing a hard 20K. At first I just figured I was having a heart attack, and I'd go out this way, on the erg, but no such luck, it was all about how my hands were positioned. Too much grip can be bad, just let the hands sort of hang out there as you're pulling and don't grab too hard. Hook the handle, especially on the model D blue oar handle, which is much more realistic than the old rubberized one.

Never had this trouble before the indoor rowing, as I rowed starboard with left hand constantly feathering and tending to the oar on the lower side. Hoping any of this information is somewhat useful. Good luck in finding what you need. :)
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Many thanks Tom-I have found interestingly that on the days I missed rowing as gym was closed my fingers remained stiff and painful all day but on days when I get up and go it eases off before coming back in eve!!!
Carole Sergeant
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

Jessica-Red wrote:Many thanks Tom-I have found interestingly that on the days I missed rowing as gym was closed my fingers remained stiff and painful all day but on days when I get up and go it eases off before coming back in eve!!!
Had a similar situation when I started with the heavier amounts. My hands eventually grew accustomed to it and stopped complaining.

It's clear what you need to do...keep rowing, perhaps through the night, to, y'know, ease the pain of the fingers. Maybe the hands go through some sort of separation anxiety with the oar handle? :twisted:
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

LOL Tom!!!!! Ill stay up tonight then and see what happens!!!
Carole Sergeant