Motivation

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

G A Tait

Motivation

Post by G A Tait »

I've had a rowing machine for a while, which I have gone through phases of using and not using. In March this year I really got into and started clocking up lots of k's, but by early May I was really scunnered. I came home sat on my rower and just couldn't face it.

I checked my hotmail last week and found an email telling me about Free Spirits, so thought I'd give it a go in the hope that when my first burst of enthusiasm runs out (which it always does), being part of a group might help keep me going.

What do people do to keep working out week in week out?

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Gillian
steve the slug
Spends too much time in the forum

motivation

Post by steve the slug »

Hi Gillian & welcome :)

i am basically a 3/4 times a week rower and apart from a wish to keep my weight down as i get older :lol: , i have found the general banter that flies around this team is a great help.

if you get stuck you can always look at the individual challenges that are listed on ELM (there is a link on this web site), there are many different and varied ones :twisted: from short sharp sprints :D :D to long distance rows :evil: but something to suit all tastes. it is surprising how the metres just keep on rolling up.

take a look :roll: at some of the other threads (if you have about a week to spend reading them all), but basically as a free spirit you are free to come and go as you wish, every metre counts and thats all that matters.

see the honeymoon thread for more bits.

slug.
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Motivation

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Hi Gillian,
I'll tell you what motivates me:

1. The Free Spirits metres table
Every time I look at it, Thomas has just moved above me, so I have to get on my erg if I want to get back ahead of him as well as catch up with the next rower ahead of me. As time passes, you get to know the other team members which makes it easier to put a face to the name on the list and make it more personal.

2. Weight loss.
I want to lose some weight / look fitter and after rowing for a while I know that erging works so I have to continue doing it if I want to keep on losing weight.

3. Fitness/Strength
I love being able to beat my PBs that I worked so hard to do last time around. Beating them every season shows I'm getting stronger and faster. This definitely motivates me as I'm quite competitive.

They aren't in any particular order but they are the main categories that work for me.
6'6" 1971
BartMan
Rower and forum addict...

Post by BartMan »

I usually row 6 days a week, or try to, sometimes the blues hit late in the week, and sometimes you just go blah, and don't row.

Another option that I use, is do a coupole of small rows in a day to keep the Ks clocking up.

Or just take a couple days off, and then hit it again after the weekend, and you'll be full on again.

Trying to keep daily metres rowed above certain levels is good too - you see it drop below your benchmark, and you get excited!!

Set goals.

among a million other ideas!!
I love rowing, I hate rowing, I love rowing, I hate rowing...

JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Hey Gillian!

I'm trying to go for variety - some long low rows when I feel in the mood to burn lots of calories, but then some short bursts when I can't face being on the machine for too long & yet don't want to leave it too long between sessions. (I find that really important)

I find the ranking really useful for incentive - just trying for the next place up & the CTC challenges - did a pb recently for 30mins knowing that my distance would count for the team! :D

My recent motivation for getting going again? inch/weight loss.
& now I've got your 10k time to try for as well....... :lol:

Janet
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Motivation

Post by Thomas W-P »

Gregor Andrews wrote:Every time I look at it, Thomas has just moved above me
Strange - it is the opposite for me. :wink:

My motivation is to lose weight - struggling to stay ahead of Gregor helps along the way. But I too have had down-times usually because of some excuse (e.g. injury/work) or another.

I am interested to see how I keep it up through the summer holidays (should be OK) and the christmas term - where I usually work my head off at school as foundation for the rest of the year.

For me it is having a time slot when I can definately row. I seem to have found the 5-6pm slot works for me - I can rush home, row, help put the kids to bed then mark/prepare in the evenings. This is why I have been able to (just about) keep up with Gregor...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Selfish time

Post by webberg »

Gillian, what is "scunnered"?

For me the motivation is partly to look at my collagues and friends around my age and to know that I'm probably in better shape than all of them. It soothes my ego and makes me walk a little taller.

Partly it's because our life is so busy with work, kids and animals that I need some down time. When I need that me time I can exercise as well.

Partly I've always been competitive mainly against myself and the erg is great for testing that.

There are always times when the thought of exercise is enough not to do it. At those times I always try to do a slow piece and just get the metres on the board. These times get fewer and further between as you get fitter.

When things feel good I always, always stop before I get exhausted. That way I know that I have stood up with something left to give that next time I will prove!

AT the moment my PB's are not that good so I don't have to leave all my energy on the erg to get a new one. There'll come a time when I ahve to but that's a way off.

If any of these ideas work for you, that's great. The advice from the others looks good as well.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Hi

Post by PSims »

Hey Gillian,

Oops - the email - guilty! I've done it now!

Personally, here's what I get out of it:

- setting myself targets and achieving them
- losing weight
- competing in (and creating!) the varied ELM challenges
- the banter I get with other team members
- watching the metres clock up
- getting awards from C2 for 1 Million, 3 Million metres etc
- seeing my times improve

but MOST of all, setting challenges that annoy Steve the Slug!!!! :twisted:

You will find there's a great crowd and team spirit on here - we seem to egg each other on which works for me!

Welcome, join in and have fun!!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

G A Tait

Post by G A Tait »

Really chuffed with the responses. Thanks very much folks.
I'll ignore the time for now and work on clocking up k's to give myself a boost.

Webberg - "scunnered" is fed-up, hacked-off or irritated depending on how you use it. It's a Scottish term.

Gillian
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Hi Gillian and welcome.
Just to add my two pence worth.
My motivation is weight loss ( a not uncommon theme in this group)
Improving fitness
Improving my times (The ELM and CTC are great for this)
Increasing my metres (a big thanks to JLemon for the metre board)
Beating the 6 foot plus monster on the erg next to me

When its not going well just coming on to this site and reading the banter gets me motivated again.
pb times