Discussion on Possible intra-team squads

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Discussion on Possible intra-team squads

Post by Mike Channin »

(This has been split off from the January challenge Thread as it has become an interesting discussion in its own right. There are also two polls (two for technical reasons) to log what your star sign is - please 'vote' to give us some idea of the breakdown of the team)

Maybe we should seriously consider breaking ourselves into smaller teams for this to make it more interesting. Could be a good motivator!

(Edit: By this, I don't mean literally breaking the team up - see later on in the discussion for details
Last edited by Mike Channin on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

A good idea in theory, but I'm not sure how we would operate it in practice without it becoming divisive.

One approach would be along geographic lines, but that would run counter to one of the best things about our team - that it's global.

Suggestions?

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Get everyone in a list and pick 'em out of a hat into teams. That way it's random, and as long as people see it as good natured it shouldn't be divisive. Need to pick out 'squad' names so there's no hierarchy.

Anyway, just a thought. I did wonder if this might be a useful way forward in general as it'd make the squads more 'intimate' and less daunting for new members, and we could have other squad level challenges running too.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

We should just send our women at them.....they could win alone.....or all the lightweights........or just the kids.......

as for the other team joining together.....are their any "fake" wrestling fans here?.......

It's would like like Andre the Giant vs The Midget Wrestlers......anyone remember?

Andre was this 7'6" brute from Canada and he would wrestle about a dozen "little" wrestlers at one time.
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Now I do know that Andre the Giant was in the film, the Princess Bride, and yes, he was rather large...
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I have no problem with intra-team teams, and agree that splitting it by geography is a bad idea.

How about splitting it by birth month?

Four teams - Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter?

Come on you SPRINGS...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Good idea Thomas. May need to break it down further to make the teams the right sort of sizes (although maybe we use two levels, seasons, then months?!?)

Helps the team still keep the personal touch while growing at a huge rate...
Stan

Post by Stan »

Some great ideas being mooted here.
This particular challenge seems to allow virtual teams to enter it. If we split into separate teams for this challenge - wont that mean Free Spirits on the C2 board comes to an end and therefore how does the meter board pick up what we are doing? Sorry if I am being a bit thick here and have misunderstood the suggestions.
On the otherhand splitting ourselves into 4 teams for January as an internal competition would be great fun - I am sure Mr Lemon could come with something to monitor the totals.
pb times
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

In the email I got, it already had "Free Spirits" on a t-shirt (there was also a T-shirt for Iron Oarsmen).

This challenge does indeed include the "virtual" teams. However, it might be problematic for C2 to handle 4 (or whatever number we decided) subdivisions of Free Spirits since they automatically tabulate meters from the log. Would the "subdivisions" just be internally for a bit more motivation and egging on?

And Thomas, if we do opt for the "Seasonal" approach, the "Winters" will take it.. the ambitious, focused and driven Capricorns will lead the way :wink:.
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

How about a Zodiak Row
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Don't think anyone would want us to split the team in any externally visible way, but we do need to address the issue that the team is now so big as to seem impersonal to new members. Some form of squad subdivisions would make it more personal again. Probably squad captains to bring newbies on board and introduce them to the many and varied wonders that are Free Spirits would be good. Firstly, we need to figure out if zodiac splits will give us an even break up. And then figure out the best way to set up intra team competitions and challenges. I'll start a new thread...
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Incidentally, having now posted the star sign polls, I suspect it may be more interesting to split us on the elements: Air, Fire, Water, Earth... (Seems more, well, hippy... :roll: )

Also, thinking about it, the elements are also termed as types of 'spirit', so it fits wonderfully with our general ethos, ethic and terminology.

So, are you a Water Spirit, a Fire Spirit, an Earth Spirit or an Air Spirit??? Answer the star sign poll, and I'll collate the elemental types from that...
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Now that sounds cool
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

We should just send our women at them.....they could win alone

Especially Taurean women!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Mike Channin wrote: Firstly, we need to figure out if zodiac splits will give us an even break up...............
Just being helpful: http://goddess.astrology.com/pallas/sports.html

........to see which signs are best adapted to erging....... :D
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taurus
The brawny Bull has endurance and stamina galore, which would best be put toward sports like rowing, weight lifting, tug-of-war, rugby, gardening or cricket

i used to work as a gardener and garden designer and it seems im suited to rowing !!!! but i dont fancy the rugby and tug of war :!: :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

I'm in as an Aquarian-the water carrier, supposed to be the muse of the group, full of intellect and creativity. Oh dear somewhere along long the line I got very dehydrated :D
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Must have been all the alcohol. Does that to you.

(But there is a secret to drinking and surviving - it's all about the pacing... :lol: )
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Mike Channin wrote:(But there is a secret to drinking and surviving - it's all about the pacing... :lol: )
I badly need a coach....... :lol:
PB:
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

or at this pint what you need is a trainer.....you have already competed and now you need rehab for your injury
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I am a Gemini - no idea what it means since I have never taken any interest in the zodiac.

Does it mean I am two faced or something? Or eating for two?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Thomas W-P wrote:I am a Gemini - no idea what it means since I have never taken any interest in the zodiac.

Does it mean I am two faced or something? Or eating for two?
From the goddess athene.....

"The versatile and flexible Twins will enjoy sports played as a pair or any sort of sport that stretches the mind, such as doubles tennis, croquet, billiards or bobsledding"

So..... hook 2 ergs together on slides & you're away! :D
PB:
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Gemini's have to row a double....it's only fair
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

For what it's worth, I love the idea of splitting the team up a little for, at least, this January's challenge. It just won't be as fun trying to find reason to wrack up production when it's a given that'd we'd win. I'm sure we can talk with a few of the C2 website people on the UK/US boards to set this up for us, as they're most likely already worried about the current numbers. :roll: :P
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

Any movement on this idea, or are we still awaiting "star sign" votes? Only about a week to go, just thought I'd mention. :P
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon