Split topic: Honeymoon Period

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Split topic: Honeymoon Period

Post by Gooner Neil »

Maybe time for a new thread but Graham pointed this out to me, as paul and others have recently been clocking the times and meters that I used to do in a month rather than a day how long will our vigour last? I don't mean this in a spiteful way but will the honeymoon period wear off and we'll find a lower plateau?

I'm starting to get a few niggles (hamstrings, slight pulled lateral muscle r side and dodgy feeling in L knee). Hope to go through these and just slow the pace down.

I hope we don't but equally I'd hate to think people are burning themselves out and then turning away from our group.
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

True

Post by PSims »

Agreed - can't sustain it for ever.
Mine is a bit artificial as I'm making up for a 2 1/2 week holiday I'm about to have (and a week in Sept) and trying to do the 250km in July.

My targets were:
Monday 15k, Tuesday 10k, Wednesday 15k, Thursday 10k, Friday 15k.

Long way off that now with 156k last week!
I looked back at January 2006 - 20k - 25k in a week.

Need to review this when I get back to ensure:

a) I can sustain a sensible target
b) I don't get fed up with it
c) to remain injury free

ELM helps as it gives variety.

Trouble with me is I'm too competitive - and Derrylad knows it - he knows I'm hell bent on catching him - have been since last year!!!

I find the time by getting up early in the morning and doing it before work.
Also getting out at lunch as my boss has resigned - so he's not bothered.
But start a new job when I get back, so that won't be an option any more.

Evenings and weekends also not an option - family life!

Need a C2 at home (bangs head on wall) - no you don't - stop it.

Mash - Thanks for the encouragement. If I rowed every day I was in a bad mood due to work, I would be ahead of Nigel by now!!!! :twisted:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Watch your head

Post by mash »

Even more impressive that you don't have a rower at home. I do and I'm averaging around 50k a week as I'm now getting back into the rowing. Had a bit of a slump at the beginning of the season but "Free Spirits" have helped me through it.

I'm the same at weekends, if I don't get a row in early morning I have no chance after that - family again.

I'll have the same problem with holidays in October as I'm away for 2 weeks, hoping (praying) that the hotel has a concept2.

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: True

Post by johnglynn »

PSims wrote: Trouble with me is I'm too competitive - and Derrylad knows it - he knows I'm hell bent on catching him - have been since last year!!!
I'm the same, On ELM I've sort of given up trying to catch ChrisB and especially Derrylad who can outrow me on everything over 2K.
But I enjoy the small fight we have for 3rd position.
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

Hi John,

Depends which points table you look at. When I want to feel better I look at the combined one, as I don't do so well on the absolute!!

I find myself scanning the challenges looking for which ones I can do that are likely to give me more than 1 or 2 points!!!

Mash - the C2 folds you know - stick it in the boot and take it to the hotel!!! :P
Paul

johnglynn

Post by johnglynn »

PSims wrote:Hi John,

Depends which points table you look at. When I want to feel better I look at the combined one, as I don't do so well on the absolute!!

I find myself scanning the challenges looking for which ones I can do that are likely to give me more than 1 or 2 points!!!
Lol - I try my best to ignore the combined one

I'm very worried about the
250km
HM vs PB
Summer Roller...

Which you haven't posted times for yet, and are outside my normal range. I might end up doing a HM though, as I need one for the Nonatlon also. Maybe even the Summer Roller... if I can get over the 15K + 1.5K hump.
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by mash »

PSims wrote:Mash - the C2 folds you know - stick it in the boot and take it to the hotel!!! :P
LOL...I'm off to Fuerteventura, I'm dedicated but I don't think I can afford the excess baggage - I have enough of my own!

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
PSims
True Free Spirit

Others

Post by PSims »

I'm close to finishing the 250km - about 40k left - the times won't be good though. Most of the sessions are around 2:09 - 2:11 splits - just so tired.

Summer roller - have to wait until August.

Cheops - yuk - gotta do it this week!
Paul

redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Started with the Cheops this afternoon....going well average was 2:01, part way thro 5k FORGET it...had to stop...had it :( and stopped that!
had to carry on and managed just over 17k but that was around 2:09 - wanted much better for Cheops....will have to wait for another attempt
gunslinger_
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by gunslinger_ »

Back after the weekend. Hey, averaging 10k to 15k. poor times, but I'm cranking out the meters. still cross training on the elliptical, and weight training. Tired! (Knackered? in Limey-ese?) Rowing way more than I thought I'd ever go. Thanks (maybe...) free spirits...
steve the slug

honeymoon period

Post by steve the slug »

i do think we will level off; but for me the elm challenges are great at giving me different ways of clocking up the meters rather than just a straight row. my main aim this year is just to complete the million in the rowing year, last year i got within 45k, which if you consider that at christmas last year i was about 825k and only managed another 130k in 4 months, perhaps i did just get bored of rowing but there were other issues.

as i said previously all the different fast ones last month bollocksed me up at times but when i look back and see the metres that were clocked up i was very happy.

There is also that inspiration called Mr Sims, who one day i hope to meet and have a beer or two, but the general banter that goes on between the team i do find very helpful in 'forcing' that little bit extra out of me instead of just calling it a day.

last month chasing the young john glynn with the quick ones was fun for an older one and i got two of the challenges.

i'm sure the team will keep on going though and at the end of the day if people get fed up thats up to them, we are free spirits.

slug (on track for a million)
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Not a one night stand

Post by webberg »

I think that we all recognise that the initial enthusiasm will fade but hopefully that's a long way off. Personally I've been in a month and have doubled my mtrs in that time. The banter is great and the challenges interesting.

We are right I think to regard the ELM pieces as a bit of fun and whilst it's (probably) nice to be at the top, it's good just to be there.

In the long term though we may need to focus more on what we are doing and not where we might or might not be on the various external metre boards. In the respect Jonathan Lemon's mtre board is a fantastic piece of kit.

I am looking at building a model which weights various features such as sex, weight, height, age, etc and will allow an ELM challenge which everybody has a chance of doing well in. This is partly driven by envy of the 6'6", 17 stone giants amongst us but hey, envy can be creative! When I get the kinks out I'll expose it to ridicule.

Perhaps though we need to encourage more membership of ELM. We have about 30 odd people there from a total of 100. Obviously don't want to force people to join as that's not what we're all here for but long term I think it would pay dividends.

May your stroke never falter.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit

Slugs LIKE beer!

Post by PSims »

Hey Sluggy - we must do that beer.
Funnily enough I used to work in Cardiff for a while and been to Barry a few times - shame I'm not still there really.
Are you up for the London drinks - see separate thread.

Hmm...would we want to spoil the illusion that we always fight?!!! :roll:

I must be thick :oops: , but I don't actually know where the nickname slug originated?
Paul

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Re: Split topic: Honeymoon Period

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Gooner Neil wrote:Maybe time for a new thread but Graham pointed this out to me, as paul and others have recently been clocking the times and meters that I used to do in a month rather than a day how long will our vigour last? I don't mean this in a spiteful way but will the honeymoon period wear off and we'll find a lower plateau?

I'm starting to get a few niggles (hamstrings, slight pulled lateral muscle r side and dodgy feeling in L knee). Hope to go through these and just slow the pace down.

I hope we don't but equally I'd hate to think people are burning themselves out and then turning away from our group.
For me, I think I'll always come back to rowing.
With my job I have to leave home for up to a month, 4 times a year.
During that time if I haven't been able to row, I look forward to getting back into it when I return home.

I think it might be different if I had a "normal" job and a set routine as it might start to get a bit boring.

Sometimes I do feel physically tired though (like today) and I might have the odd 1 or 2 days off each week. I find I need that though and I'll hopefully feel refreshed for the next day and ready to carry on where I left off.

I think that in the future we will have new members that will be just as keen as we are/were so we can motivate each other.
6'6" 1971
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

If anyone is looking for the 'ELM clearout' posts they are now in a thread called "Clearing up the ELM website" on the ELM forum.
6'6" 1971
Tricia B

Summer Roller

Post by Tricia B »

I'm very worried about the
250km
HM vs PB
Summer Roller...

I need help....I am working to catch up...and have been rowing the challenges....but I don't know what rowing "uphill" vs "downhill" means...Please explain....thank you.....
the Colibri, Unleash the power of the Free Spirits and Fly

Ultra Distances 2007 season: 6 FM's (with 3 in 3 days) and one 50k

Tricia B

Re: Summer Roller

Post by Tricia B »

I need help....I am working to catch up...and have been rowing the challenges....but I don't know what rowing "uphill" vs "downhill" means...Please explain....thank you.....[/quote]

Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Hi Tricia
Uphill is simply the longer slower rowing you do when rowing a longer distance. Downhill is short fast rowing. Its called rollercoaster because its long distances followed by short distances (fast slow like a rollercoaster). The idea is to row the distances in the challenge and then add the times together.
This challenge is yet more evidence of the diseased imagination of Steve the slug :lol:
pb times
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

Don't worry Tricia - I didn't understand it either.

Slug your challenges are harder to understand than they are to row!!! :lol:
Paul

Tricia B

Post by Tricia B »

thank you for the clarification....

I was imagining that you had to raise the front of the rower for uphill and the back for downhill....I sometimes have to level my rower when I move it outside.....so that came to mind....or,

I thought maybe uphill was setting the damper to 10 and downhill was 0....

Now that I understand, I will add the Summer RollerCoaster to my challenges I need to complete....

thanks again.....Tricia

Tricia B

Post by Tricia B »

ps....

I just noticed that I sent my originally reply twice :shock: ....In my first one, I was trying to add a quote from one of the other replies and then when it didn't work, I thought I had deleted it and sent the second one.....

am sorry for doubling up my reply....I'll get the hang of using the forum sooner or later....Tricia

steve the slug

roller coaster

Post by steve the slug »

Hi Tricia

well done on your 250k, unbelievable. as the boys have explianed the up is the long row, the down is a faster pace, the worse bit is trying to get back on after a 5 min rest the body says no no no!

Stanley
This challenge is yet more evidence of the diseased imagination of Steve the slug

what on earth do you mean, how is the challeng going, i see you were starting it last week.

Simsy, Just have a good holiday while you can. :D

now that i have my own rower, you 156k in 7days might be close to target and then i will get up to your 1 million :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

the slug
PSims
True Free Spirit

Rest

Post by PSims »

Slug - is the 5 min break mandatory - or can we just continue straight into the downhill?

What's this:

:evil: :arrow: :arrow: :?: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :!:

...a slug with a bad back!
Paul

johnglynn

Re: Rest

Post by johnglynn »

PSims wrote:Slug - is the 5 min break mandatory - or can we just continue straight into the downhill?
Your a stronger man then me, I find each of those 5 mins is a Godsend

I find the downhill part very interesting, I spend ages rowing at a certain pace and then after 5 mins, I'm rowing a fifth of the distance at around (long pace -10 secs). It's fun.
I row the long bits strapless at about 25SPM, and the shorter bits strapped at about 30SPM+, which adds to the difference between the 2 distances also.

The downhill is also great for showing personal improvements. I broke a 7min 2K around March last year. Today I did a 10K rested for 5 mins and got a 6:58.5 in 28C heat (the gym is partially air conditioned so it was not that hot in gym, but it was still very hot). I'm delighted about that.
steve the slug

roller coaster

Post by steve the slug »

glad to see your enjoying it john, i did when i tried apart from the first 15K allother times were below 2m/500 which i was happy about

slug