December ctc - 1k @ 24spm

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

December ctc - 1k @ 24spm

Post by Grobi »

Hi all,

MAD Team have announced the December ctc:

"1km @ 24spm, anything under 24spm counts, anything over does not"

Something for the tall and powerful, ideally combined with proper technique.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Re: December ctc - 1k @ 24spm

Post by JonT »

I'm quite looking forward to this one. 22-24spm is my happy place, and 1k isn't going to hurt for too long. :fsbgrin:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Post by JonT »

I had a crack at this as part of a longer, interval-based session: 2/2/1/2/2K@r20/22/24/22/20 2:00R.

This was intended to be a "tester" to see how it felt, but predictably I well pretty full on and pulled 1:50-1:53 throughout. I could have probably done a little more. It felt like there was still something in the legs and HR was not at max, but I don;t think I will improve much on 3:43.7 without risking my back (not to mention a few knee twinges). So back to long UT2 sessions now to try to complete the Holiday Challenge.

Good luck all.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
jayney
Warming up

Post by jayney »

Not done much rowing at all since mid 2017, so it was a bit of a tester for me too. My thighs aren't on fire any more, so I'll try and put in a few k before work in the morning, and start building fitness again. Perhaps by the end of the month, I'll be slightly closer to 4:00

Jayne
JonT

Post by JonT »

jayney wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:45 pm Not done much rowing at all since mid 2017, so it was a bit of a tester for me too. My thighs aren't on fire any more, so I'll try and put in a few k before work in the morning, and start building fitness again. Perhaps by the end of the month, I'll be slightly closer to 4:00
The more the merrier Jayne. Thanks for putting in an early score.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Cracking score Jon =D>
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

24spm also a happy place for me... Maybe Im among the tall and powerful... But you still need a bit of cardio to execute this one... :roll: They found out I have a First-Degree AV-block - and now my ICD has been re-programmed, and this means I dont get tired so easily as before... :D Got 3:37.1 yesterday and 3:34.0 today.

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Liefcat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:32 pm 24spm also a happy place for me... Maybe Im among the tall and powerful... But you still need a bit of cardio to execute this one... :roll: They found out I have a First-Degree AV-block - and now my ICD has been re-programmed, and this means I dont get tired so easily as before... :D Got 3:37.1 yesterday and 3:34.0 today.
Good news about the diagnosis - I have a first-degree AV block too and it appears that a first degree is very minor and with the ICD adjustment you seem to be stronger
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Cant believe I've managed a ctc so early in the month 😎 3:32.9
Great times already folks =D> =D>

Now off to plan a 5k with my still uncontrolled asthma 🙈 should be interesting 🤣
jayney
Warming up

Post by jayney »

A quick lunchtime 1k, 4:17.5, an improvement of 9.5 seconds from my 1st attempt
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Congratulations to all the finishers! Especially to those who have done it twice and with such good improvement, Jayney!
No, I don't like the stroke count restriction...I made an attempt yesterday but didn't enter the score on the ctc site...I'll wait for Mats' result, I wish you a good recovery, let me know if you're in this month...if not, I may do a relaxed row to fill another boat if necessary, or leave it on the other side!
Attachments
ctc dec.JPG
ctc dec.JPG (53.08 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
alien878
Warming up

Post by alien878 »

My lovely wife baked Christmas cookies a couple of weeks ago. Finally got back below 75kg today to give it a try.

The rate cap didn’t impact me as much as I thought and I think I could go faster. Now the big decision… Christmas cookies or another go….
JonT

Post by JonT »

alien878 wrote:My lovely wife baked Christmas cookies a couple of weeks ago. Finally got back below 75kg today to give it a try.

The rate cap didn’t impact me as much as I thought and I think I could go faster. Now the big decision… Christmas cookies or another go….
Surely another go and then cookies as a reward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alien878
Warming up

Post by alien878 »

JonT wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:31 am Surely another go and then cookies as a reward!
Too late… 75.5kg

They must be magic Christmas cookies. There is no other logical explanation how 4 Christmas cookies can result in over a pound weight gain. :oops:
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

paulgould wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:22 pm
Liefcat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:32 pm 24spm also a happy place for me... Maybe Im among the tall and powerful... But you still need a bit of cardio to execute this one... :roll: They found out I have a First-Degree AV-block - and now my ICD has been re-programmed, and this means I dont get tired so easily as before... :D Got 3:37.1 yesterday and 3:34.0 today.
Good news about the diagnosis - I have a first-degree AV block too and it appears that a first degree is very minor and with the ICD adjustment you seem to be stronger
Oh, Paul, I forgot about that! In return you have your weight loss and overall good stamina :!: :D

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
chrisnew

Post by chrisnew »

just jumped into this one, 24 is a good rate for me, but not doing power efforts. Not as painful as I thought and not too bad a time. Looking forward to next month :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 19.32.36.png
Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 19.32.36.png (49.19 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

Trying to make this season the season of the PB!
spidermac
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by spidermac »

Had a go at this today Result:
03:41.2/24spm/HR156/01:50.6
Saw 50/51`s throughout not sure I could do much better defo one for the big boys!!
Born 1957 71kg;6`2"
Mat

Post by Mat »

Claudius wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:49 pm ..I made an attempt yesterday but didn't enter the score on the ctc site...I'll wait for Mats' result, I wish you a good recovery, let me know if you're in this month...if not, I may do a relaxed row to fill another boat if necessary, or leave it on the other side!
Thanks Claudius - the recovery is going well - 4 weeks post-op now. Walking well with a couple of good walks each day, and now back on the Wattbike too so hopefully the fitness will begin to return. I'm sure I'll manage a tentative row for the CTC by the end of the month, but it certainly won't be fast.
Please do give it your best shot this month and we'll see where the dice land on the leaderboard - it'll be interesting to see what the outcome is. I know you've had a couple of enforced "easy" months this year due to injury/illness so please don't hold back for my benefit (much as I really appreciate the gesture). The team always benefits from your result which I'm sure is tends to be worth a few ranking positions in the CTC :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:
Liefcat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:32 pm They found out I have a First-Degree AV-block - and now my ICD has been re-programmed, and this means I dont get tired so easily as before... Got 3:37.1 yesterday and 3:34.0 today.
That's great news Erik - really pleased for you :fsbgrin: Nice result too :twisted:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Great new Mat !! It sounds like you a long way down the recovery road 😎 may it long continue.
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Mat wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:53 pm your best shot this month and we'll see where the dice land on the leaderboard - it'll be interesting to see what the outcome is. I know you've had a couple of enforced "easy" months this year due to injury/illness so please don't hold back for my benefit
Thx Mat, so the 3:25.3, entered, I have never rowed as much as I have this year, no injury, no illness, sometimes I have reduced intensity to increase volume...and vice versa!
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Great to hear your recovery is going welk, Mat.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

Mat

Post by Mat »

Claudius wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:45 am I have never rowed as much as I have this year, no injury, no illness, sometimes I have reduced intensity to increase volume...and vice versa!
Sorry Claudius - I certainly recalled there was a month or so that you posted a less intense result - glad to read that this was due to planned training rather than illness or injury. Long may that continue :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:

Thanks for the good wishes Fred and Kevin :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Well, congrats to Erik our Danish Viking. Good to see some setting down on the health front Erik (most important), and also for an excellent ctc.
I had a 2nd go and finished 0.2 behind you :-)

Mat, you'll be back to something like normal long before you expected 8)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Took some rowing-rest after finishing the Holiday Challenge, now back for a second CTC attempt, 7 seconds faster then the first one. 3:41.0. Who knows, maybe another attempt soon.
Mat

Post by Mat »

I've left the erg until the last week of the month to give things a little time to settle down post-op, but once I'd hit 5 weeks I figured it was time for a tentative go - really lucky that this month is a short piece

The hip felt pretty good (though I was still careful), but the legs struggled wanted to give up after a minute, even at a relatively sedate pace. Built up with 2 further 1k efforts before this morning when I managed a 3:38.8 (1:49.4) at the required SR24. Please with that as I wasn't even certain I'd be able to row so soon with the new hip

So... looks like I've got a month to build up to 6k - now whose daft idea was that :lol: :fsbgrin: