Any experiences with Hip Replacement / Osteo-arthritis?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Any experiences with Hip Replacement / Osteo-arthritis?

Post by Mat »

Hi all

I know there are some who will remember me from a few years ago. I effectively gave up rowing for the best part of a decade after I struggled with maintaining training intensity as I dealt with an under active thyroid. Since then, my erging has come a (not even close) second to other activities - initially triathlon, but more recently running. The rower has been useful when injuries have prevented me running, but often gathered dust for months on end.

I’ve really thrown myself into running, especially here in the mountains of Snowdonia, including marathons and ultras in recent years.

Unfortunately it seems that the mileage and mountains aren’t ideal for a body more suited to rowing and recent hip pain arising from what I initially thought was a groin strain has been diagnosed as osteo-arthritis. So, no more running it seems.

It has gone too far for keyhole surgery and will essentially need a hip replacement. The consultant advises that a replacement hip will only last about 20 years, and so if it’s done now then there will be further problems down the line. He suggests that I manage it as best as I can and delay the need for a hip replacement as long as possible.

If I do run (assuming I can manage the pain) then it will cause further damage to the joint and mean that I need a hip replacement sooner. Even if I had a replacement done now and was able to get back to running after it, then the running (and any other impact activity) will cause the joint to wear out again more quickly.

So, I’m back on the erg, and as I’m sure you’ll appreciate it’s taking a bit of getting my head around.

I thought I’d throw this out to see whether any others have had a similar experience. I’d be really interested to hear what decision they made, and what the outcome was

Many thanks, Mat
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Iain
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Any experiences with Hip Replacement / Osteo-arthritis?

Post by Iain »

HI Mat, sorry to hear of your continuing issues. My OA has remained in check from being very careful on offending activities after it was diagnosed after doing the 3 peaks. I found kneeling down at the gym to put on the C-breeze did more damage than a 90 min erg! 3.5MM last year and no deterioration. Its important to keep the muscle tone. In my 3 years off only doing daily walks it deteriorated, while my brothers needed operating around 50 from little systematic exercise.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Hi Mat,
I think your consultant's advice is spot on - delay the inevitable for as long as possible - that unfortunately means that ultra-marathon and trail running are no-no's.
I did quite a bit of ultra-marathon running in my twenties, but stopped before I did any lasting damage.
Running down 30% gradients plays havoc with your joints - in South Africa(ultra-marathon obsessed) you can always spot the 40+ ex Comrades Marathon runner - they walk very uncomfortably and appear to have aged prematurely.

Getting back on the erg is a good option for you - you are pretty quick, so that should still keep your competitive juices flowing, without accelerating the OA progress
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Mat

Post by Mat »

Thanks to both Iain and Paul for your comments

Iain - I had hoped that continued regular training may help to prevent worsening of the symptoms, and its encouraging to hear you confirming that. As mentioned, I'm back on the erg again, but also forcing myself to do a couple of weight session pw (I'd always avoided these previously) as well as some cycling so am hoping to improve and then maintain the muscle tone.

You're right Paul - I'm sure its the mountainous descents that have had the greatest impact as the hip has been forced to absorb the combined impact of long levers and a heavy bodyweight. It is the timing I wasn't sure about - whether to push for an early replacement with the understanding that I may have to go again in my 70's, or as you say to delay it as long as I can. I think you're right, and I'll see how things go and how I'm able to manage the joint and the pain rather than trying to rush into something

Thanks again to you both :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Legend Free Spirit that is Nick Shuker doesn't post here much but he had a hip replacement a couple of years ago. I'll ping him a message and see if has anything to add re his own experience.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Best wishes with the process Mat. Sorry I can't offer any personal experience, just wanted to wish you well.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Mat

Post by Mat »

Thanks Dave - it'd be interesting to hear of Nick's experience and any advice he may have. Thanks for the wishes Steve
fireman
Warming up

Post by fireman »

Hi Mat

I had a total right hip replacement nearly 5 years ago.

I was in pain and was advised to have the operation as it would not get better only worse. Once arthritis and the damage it causes to the ball and socket sets in, the only way to have a pain free life is replacement.

I was 55 years old when I had mine and I had to make some major adjustments to my life afterwards. I left it 12 months before attempting to row and took it very easy to start with.
I don’t run or play team sports, but I walk 10k per day and I rowed 3,650,000 meters last year, yes 10k average per day.

My advice would get it done and enjoy your life pain free. You might not live 20 years, and by then medicine and procedures will hopefully much better than they are now.
Mat

Post by Mat »

Hi Nick

Thanks for the advice - its really interesting to hear. I have good days when I think I'll delay things for a while, then experience a day such as I did at the weekend when I couldn't walk around Conwy with the family because of the pain, and I want to get an op done asap! The thought of 12 the length of time "out of action" scares me a little, but then so does continuing to manage the pain as I'm currently doing.

I do hope to be around in 20 years but I'm sure you're right about the ongoing improvements in medical procedures

Thanks again - really appreciate the input
Davedcm
Warming up

Post by Davedcm »

HI, I had a replacement hip abut 4 years ago. As I was rowing at the time I asked the consultant if I could have a special hip replacement to enable me to continue rowing. He agreed to this and I was able to continue rowing as I had before.
I looked up the hip on the internet and it really is Hi Tec I think you could benefit from it. I also now have Spinal Stenosis and Peripheral Neuropathy but it doesn't stop me rowing. My hip is the least of my worries.

Dave M.
Mat

Post by Mat »

That sounds interesting Dave - do you have any information on what was different with the work done on your hip, or perhaps a link to a site I could look at?

Davedcm
Warming up

Post by Davedcm »

I haven't looked at the device for some time but I will look it up again and let you know.

Dave M.
Mat

Post by Mat »

Quick update...

I had the total hip replacement of my left hip done last Saturday (20th Nov). Fantastic surgeon who operated using the Mako Robotic Assisted system at the Royal Orthopaedic in Birmingham. Following the op which was late on the Sat (back in my room at approx 5pm), I was on my feet the next day and heading back home to Anglesey on the Monday afternoon.

After being in limbo since the summer, it's incredible to be in the situation where the pain gets less and I'm able to do more each day. So far I'm still on crutches (partial weight bearing only for the first 2 weeks) and managing 3 walks per day up to a mile or so.

Looking forward to being back on the bike soon, and to reacquainting myself with the erg sometime in the New Year :fsbgrin:
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

The wonders of modern medicine. Amazing recovery - you'll be back to 100% in no time :-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

That‘s excellent news Mat, I‘m glad the operation went so well! Best of luck for a continuing recovery :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Great news Mat !! Speedy recovery fella 👍 and I'm sure you'll get all the support & encouragement from this place with your rehab too.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Excellent news Mat, thanks for sharing and best wishes for a continued recovery.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k