May ctc - 200 seconds, standing start

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

Hi everybody,

team Red Line Rowers have announced the May ctc:

"200 seconds (3 mins 20 secs). No spm restrictions. Standing start."
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: May ctc - 200 seconds, standing start

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Any pace notes Peter 😂😂
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

What about current 1k pace Kevin? Or, in your case, current 1.5k pace :D
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Grobi wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:14 pm What about current 1k pace Kevin? Or, in your case, current 1.5k pace :D
My engine is having a refresh 😂😂😜 Its getting a new bottom end 😜😜
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

ouch :-)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

You thought that the times with statements by Liefcat was over?!? Well, guess what... They are not!

Traditionally... I mean in the previous 199 ctcs, there were two options... Distance or time... Now it seems that "pace" should be the decisive factor... (Well, on top of that the ctc algorithm never had a high level of precision when it comes to pace, but that is what it is).

I will not enter a result under these circumstances! [-X

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
wojtek
Rower and forum addict...

Post by wojtek »

What is meant by a standing start?

Just starting normally?

Woj

JonT

Post by JonT »

Woj - yes. Fly wheel must be stationary.

Liefcat - you’ve lost me I’m afraid. There is no pace element to this, it is just a 200 second sprint.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

JonT wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:38 am Woj - yes. Fly wheel must be stationary.

Liefcat - you’ve lost me I’m afraid. There is no pace element to this, it is just a 200 second sprint.
Agreed - just gun it for 200 seconds and go as far as you can. It'll still hurt like hell (depending on how fast you go of course)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

The issue with the pace is, that the pace that is shown for the entry is based on 3minutes for the entered distance instead of 3min 20sec. First realized it when I saw people post results with a pace faster than their 500m PB
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

plummy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:21 am
JonT wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:38 am Woj - yes. Fly wheel must be stationary.

Agreed - just gun it for 200 seconds and go as far as you can. It'll still hurt like hell (depending on how fast you go of course)
Yes, guys, you´ve lost me, I´m afraid... I must admit, I fail to see the reasoning for or justification of that pace thingy...

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Having had a quick look, this is a 'how much distance you can do in a set time' challenge. So you just enter a distance figure.

I think the 'pace' confusion is coming from the fact that the pace column on the CTC site is showing the pace as if the distance was done for 3 mins, and not the actual 3:20, so it is giving an incorrect (faster) pace value. This is probably a limitation of the CTC site design, likely that it can only handle round numbers of minutes, hence using 3 to approximate 3:20.

Back to the challenge itself - it's almost a 1k for some. You can also view it as a shorter version of the 4mins, which makes it sound quite nice!
Bit of a pain to be fitting in something unusual in the first month of a season, but hey, that's the CTC...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
wojtek

Post by wojtek »

Bugger me, that was hard.

878m. First time I have made into Team Boat 1.

I know it is not for long, but it feels good nonetheless.

Woj

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

JonT wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:38 am There is no pace element to this, it is just a 200 second sprint.
Maybe to you it's a sprint Jon, but for me it's a long, hard slog at my current level of fitness. Funnily enough, when I first saw the challenge, I thought it was a 200m sprint which I guess would be flat out from start to finish.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Iain
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Considering extending this to 3:45 to hopefully get a 1000m in, but with a split that records the 3:20 time. Do people think that would be OK? Inevitably last 25S will be dying while I flap around trying to maintain my finishing pace, while staying motivated to maximise the distance over the 200S will be a challenge when the clock will still show 25S to go (ie will start sprint way early by the clock).

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm Considering extending this to 3:45 to hopefully get a 1000m in, but with a split that records the 3:20 time. Do people think that would be OK? Inevitably last 25S will be dying while I flap around trying to maintain my finishing pace, while staying motivated to maximise the distance over the 200S will be a challenge when the clock will still show 25S to go (ie will start sprint way early by the clock).

- Iain
You are recording 3:20 from a standing start Iain, so I don't see what the problem would be. But I would like to see those final meters post 3:20 :lol: :lol:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
duffyoz
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Attempt 1. No speed work, all base building on the comeback trail, so didnt expect to be any where near my best 1k time. Wasn't disappointed, happy with where it ended up though. 872m

May be a chance of another go later in the month - or maybe not.
May CTC.jpg
May CTC.jpg (33.63 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Mike Channin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:20 pm
I think the 'pace' confusion is coming from the fact that the pace column on the CTC site is showing the pace as if the distance was done for 3 mins, and not the actual 3:20, so it is giving an incorrect (faster) pace value. This is probably a limitation of the CTC site design, likely that it can only handle round numbers of minutes, hence using 3 to approximate 3:20.
Oh, thanks, Mike, for the explanation :!:

I kind of forgot about that. I seem to remember we had that discussion 5 to 10 years ago. Then the discussion ended with the managers of the ctc are amateurs, and that we cannot expect them to do just anything.

Well, from my limited and arrogant point of view, the ctc already has the possibility of seconds and 10ths of a second as well when the distance is fixed, and it shouldnt be hard to reverse the "process"... And again, it shouldn´t be too hard I would think to make it able to allow to have a fixed number of seconds. If you study webdesign you should do your best to get the best version from the start, otherwise the programmer and web designer will have to change it later. My point of view is that after 15 years it is not to much to ask to adapt the ctc to a system with seconds that you could enter even in the early PM versions.

Anyways, for me I will enter a distance when either the pace is fixed to be able to account for 200 seconds, or alternatively, the pace column is deleted... :-k

jolo
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by jolo »

Had my 2nd go at this one today. I planned to do this as an all-out effort. Target was 1:42 hoping not to die too much in the last minute.

1:00 296m 1:41.3 / 34
2:00 292m 1:42.7 / 33
3:00 295m 1:41.6 / 33
3:20 100m 1:40.0 / 33

Total 3:20 983m 1:41.7

Happy with the final sprint! Good luck everyone giving it a try this month..
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

jolo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:35 pm Had my 2nd go at this one today. I planned to do this as an all-out effort. Target was 1:42 hoping not to die too much in the last minute.

1:00 296m 1:41.3 / 34
2:00 292m 1:42.7 / 33
3:00 295m 1:41.6 / 33
3:20 100m 1:40.0 / 33

Total 3:20 983m 1:41.7

Happy with the final sprint! Good luck everyone giving it a try this month..
Great effort Joe =D> =D>
JonT

Post by JonT »

With other plans for the month I was unsure when I was going to be able to do this. I had a sudden urge as I was meant to be cooling down on the erg after a weights session today #-o

I literally gave no thought to this at all. Just sat down after the session and blasted out 3:20 at r34. At the time this felt like it was a bit of a fly-and-die effort with the result of 940m, but looking at the numbers it was incredibly steady with a minor dip in the third quarter.

I may have a proper attempt later in the month if I get a chance. Meanwhile the target is there for my other male lightweight colleagues.

Jon

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Also a quick slot in during a gym piece, hardly using the erg at all these days. Must fix that. (plenty otw though)
First minute gave me false expectations of breaking 1000m, but that soon went after 90sec :-)
After a brief pause I got going again and did what I could in the final minute.
Result is 987m
Doubt if I'll have another go, but its another CTC completed.
Well done to all so far =D>
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Mat

Post by Mat »

Well done all for the attempts on this short but quite nasty piece! =D>

I have to agree to agree with Erik's thoughts on this one. On face value, this is a simple timed piece, but the fact that the CTC website cannot correctly calculate the displayed pace leads me to believe that they should limit the choice of challenges to those that site can accommodate :idea:

I did have a shot a this earlier in the month and did my usual trick first of looking at the results that were in to gauge what pace I should aim at (still not rowing regularly enough to know!). Ignorant of the pace issue, I clocked the stated pace of those usually near me on the board and set off... only to bale out after 20 strokes [-(

Read up on the issue and had another quick go today with the simple aim of hitting over 1000m: Got there with 1016m, 1:38.4, 31

While on the subject of pace, it does hurt a bit to be so far off my 2k PB pace for a challenge approx 1/2 the distance #-o :lol:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Thanks for the sympathy, Mat :!:

And well done with the 1k+ :!: ^O^

Iain
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Chris, just noticed your CTC, very generous of you to just match my distance. I don't intend to do this again, so if you improve theboat is yours (until one of our super lightweights comes along and relegates us all). Nice to see so much competition amongst the lightweights! With 4 boats now floated!
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.