October ctc - 30 mins., standing start, unrestricted

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Crushy
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: October ctc - 30 mins., standing start, unrestricted

Post by Crushy »

Impressive Jainser. WTG
Irregular socially competitive rower. (b. 1966) Always hated erging. Started again for excersise in lockdown.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Some really big numbers on the board now ๐Ÿ˜Ž well done everyone. I've placed a modest 7313 just to get me afloat for the month. I'll be back hopefully to add some more by the end of the month.
Jainser well done on the 8k + ๐Ÿ† impressive.
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

Jainser, that's very impressive to go +8k in your first 30min TT in how many years? You must have done something to stay fit while off the erg, tell us what it was. I doubt it was just eating and drinking :D

Kevin, I think you can easily go + 8k too in a serious attempt, good luck with it!

I had my second go last night with the simple aim of beating last time's distance of 7684m / 1:57.1. This is how it went:

Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (26.75 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
This one went much better, no slow down demons betweeen 10 and 5 minutes to go like last time. It also gave me four nonathlon points and moved me up one spot in the german ranking :D
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Well done Peter ๐Ÿ˜Ž I look forward to seeing the results of the 3rd perhaps even the 4th attempt ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ™‚
I hope I've got space for one good or possibly two attempts before the end of the month ๐Ÿ‘
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Second go and managed a small improvement to 7238m despite one major slow down/more of a short HD and a couple of other back-offs. Scraped ahead of JonT and Pete Tullett but couldn't catch Jan even with a mad last 40 seconds sprint.

Edit - just spotted that exactly equalled my SB - :evil: :cry:
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:44 pm Second go and managed a small improvement to 7238m despite one major slow down/more of a short HD and a couple of other back-offs. Scraped ahead of JonT and Pete Tullett but couldn't catch Jan even with a mad last 40 seconds sprint.

Edit - just spotted that exactly equalled my SB - :evil: :cry:
Well done Plummy. =D> I've never had the "exact equalled" experience. #-o

Jan's time is a strong one this month.

You're doing a good job of increasing my motivation to redo this and the IRL 6 minutes, but I'm really enjoying getting off the erg without feeling like I am at death's door to be honest. We'll have to see how strong my willpower to not have another dig is.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

Grobi wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:36 am Jainser, that's very impressive to go +8k in your first 30min TT in how many years? You must have done something to stay fit while off the erg, tell us what it was. I doubt it was just eating and drinking :D
Don't want to 'highjack' this thread but in answer to your question.....

From '13 - '16 I took up running. Got as far as a half marathon but not long after that my knees just gave up on me. My weight fluctuates between 17st - 19st and obviously being heavy boned as well [cough cough] not really built for running. So then I hit the gym, mainly weights but again not seriously. Dabbled in cycling for a couple of years on and off but through all this I still managed to maintain my weight. Lots of walking as well. So in all honestly I haven't been hitting anything hard regarding fitness training. Regarding my times I am a firm believer in 'metre munching' I remember back when I was punching out some pretty good times for my weight and that was when I was consistently smashing out 20k per day. I have never followed a training program for any distance. For me it's metres, metres and oh yeah more metres. I'm just under 390k since I got back in the saddle (just under 8 weeks ago) and my times are improving. I haven't lost any weight (still floating around the 17+st mark) I do long 90+min rows at a slow pace, normally put a film on. Then the rest of the time 5 mile rows at anywhere between 1:55 and 2:10 pace. Legs have always been strong, mainly as they have been carrying my belly around for years! I watch my HR data a lot when I race as well. I've recently brought an apple watch but after using for a while for timed pieces I prefer polar. I am very stubborn and hate (as in absolutely hate) giving in. An example being this row, Polar suggest 2-10 minutes of Hard HR zone (80 - 90%) I did just under 15 minutes on this row and the last 15 minutes was in Maximum HR zone (90 - 100%) where polar recommend less than 5 minutes.

Not sure if this makes any sense or helps, but hopefully gives a little insight into how 'it' works for me. I know I rattle on a lot when I get typing (and talking!!) Thats it though!

Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Pete
(highjack over :wink: )
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thanks for the insight Pete! Although Iโ€˜m a bit disappointed. You didnโ€˜t find some magic trick to stay fit, itโ€˜s still all about regular exercise :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi ladies :fsgrin: 3 boats on shore needing floating by your good selves [-o<
thanks
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
GuidonTheBee
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by GuidonTheBee »

I've not done many CTCs this year, and to be honest my motivation & overall volume of erging has been way down. But given that I'll be properly off the erg for a while (just a bit of minor carpal tunnel surgery, nothing serious), the least I can do is add another CTC score while I can !

I've been doing a lot of rate limited 30 minute rows, just as something that doesn't really need too much in the way of fire & motivation & this is my best this month from the 2nd. Not back at lightweight yet either which doesn't feel great even outside erging - I don't really like carrying extra weight. Pesky lack of willpower & slightly stressful global pandemic with related working from home within sight of the fridge ... :shock: :oops:

Seeing some of the great FS results, I'm hopeful my erging mojo will be back soon - well done all !

CTC_Oct20.jpg
CTC_Oct20.jpg (25.28 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Wolfmiester wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:15 pm Hi ladies :fsgrin: 3 boats on shore needing floating by your good selves [-o<
thanks
I've persuaded my better half Lorraine to join in the ctc ๐Ÿ˜Ž

7980 G T B ๐Ÿ˜Ž & at rate 24. Hope the surgery goes well & that your erg mojo returns soon.
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Wolfmiester wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:15 pm Hi ladies :fsgrin: 3 boats on shore needing floating by your good selves [-o<
thanks
I promise to help float one by the end of the month :fssmile:
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

Well done all for some great rowing on this month's challenge... you've got to love to hate the 30' :shock: Not quite the on-the-line-all-the-way that is the 5k, but long enough to have to worry about holding some back to get through it and at the same time worrying that if you don't put the work in early you'll never get the metres back!

I guess that's why the 30' is always my go-to measure for myself: whenever the erging has dwindled and I need to get on it again, then I'm never quite happy until I've gone over 8k. In recent months I've been enjoying running in the mountains and training for an ultra next month (if we don't get locked down :? ) so I'd barely even been reaching my self-imposed once per week minimum erg session. Then up comes this month's challenge, and so it goes like this...

2nd October - 7759m / 1:55.9 Okay, about where I expected but plenty to do

So, back to 3 erg sessions pw based around 30'/8k pace, and including a 30' time trial with a target to get there by month end...

10th October - 7878m / 1:54.2 Happy with the improvement

16th October
Sat down with a plan for around 7950m. All going according to plan and feeling good until one of Steve Peters' chimps climbed on my shoulder with a 5 minutes to go and started whispering in my ear. With 2' mins to go he started jumping up and down while screaming and didn't stop until I fell off the erg with 8004m in the bag!

So why am I telling you all this given that I've written very little on here for the last 7 years?
Because I need to keep the training going for another 2 weeks rather than easing off now I've just dipped over the 8k line. So I thought if I write it down here, I'm likely to keep it going and see where I can be by the end of the month.

Cheers all - keep it going :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:

Attachments
IMG_6031.jpeg
IMG_6031.jpeg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
JonT

Post by JonT »

Great write up of a great set of improvements Mat. Straight into Boat I for you as you break through 8K =D> =D>

Keep it up and keep us posted of any further improvements.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Great 30 mins Mat - =D> =D>
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thatโ€˜s an amazing improvement in such a short time Mat, it shows that you never really lost your fitness! Good luck with your training for the next two weeks. I do hope though to read more from you on the forum once those two weeks are over, because it has always been useful (and entertaining :D ) to read about your training.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Indeed a great race.
Tried another one myself yesterday, but did not finish. No idea whether I'll have the guts for another one.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

JonT

Post by JonT »

With the gaps between myself, Plummy and Jan so tight, I just had to have another go at one of the events that I find mentally very challenging.

Jan was at the head of the pack with 7250m so I set myself a target of 7300m - a long way off my PB and not even a SB.

I spent the entire morning convincing myself that I wasn't feeling 100% and trying today would be unwise. So I sat at the erg ready to do a steady Pete Plan session instead. But as I was warming up the good old endorphins kicked in and I decided that I was feeling fine after all. So the warm up was completed, the playlist was established and off we went.

Things were pretty smooth for the majority of the row:
Time Dist Pace Watts Rate HR 6:00.0 1,486m 2:01.1 197 24 166 12:00.0 1,475m 2:02.0 193 23 176 18:00.0 1,478m 2:01.7 194 23 179 24:00.0 1,464m 2:02.9 188 23 179 30:00.0 1,508m 1:59.3 206 25 186

The last section was pure mind-games comedy. With 6:00 to go it looked like 7300 was in the bag and 7400 was a possibility. I decided to stick with 2:02 pace until the last 2 minutes and then to sprint. With the pace lifted to 1:55 or so, the 7400 was in my sights, but with 1:00 to go I decided that I just couldn't keep the pace up and I would have to settle for 7390 after all. 30 seconds later came the voice "Are you really going to fall 10m short of your target?" and so I put in a last ditch 1:48 effort to collapse over the line with 7410m:
30:00.0 7,410m 2:01.4 195 23 177
This jumps me up to Boat II from Boat IV (temporarily), setting a SB and bagging some Nonathlon points. Happy days :fsbgrin:
jhaveman

Post by jhaveman »

Great row and writeup Jon, and no holding back there with a 186 HR!
I will probably try again, but would be very happy with anything over your original target of 7300m.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi Peter, back to our little motivational help...
7788 (nice round number) 1:55.5
Set off aiming for 1:56 and cruised the first 20 min ok ish. Relatively high sr for me ~26/27 on a lower df of 125.
Being ahead of target I slowed for a few min to make sure I finished, then put in a good last 2 min to hit that double digit number
You have 8 days :-)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thank you Steve for the new target, itโ€˜s a tough one! =D> The otw season is coming to an end with the switch over to winter time this weekend, so more time in the future for our motivational battles :o

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Well done Steve ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž all big numbers by everyone this month =D> =D>
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

Thanks all for the feedback :fsbgrin: Some nice rowing this week, with Jon exceeding target by over 100m, and Wolfie throwing down the gauntlet to Peter :twisted:

Since last weeks attempt, I kept up the 30' training with a 6k @ 1:50.8 on Monday and a 5x6'r1' (ave 1:51.7) on Wednesday. Thursday saw me enjoy a final run in the mountains ahead of Wales' latest lockdown and on Friday I sat down for a hard 30'...

After approx 5 mins I got back up again having thrown in the towel - went off at 8k pace (despite knowing that I have to negative split or there's no chance for me), and it wasn't long before I HD'd and headed back in.

This morning the rain lashed down and with the wind blowing at 50mph I decided that the erg was preferable to an hour or so running in the rain.
A more conservative start this time, slowly increasing pace until I hit the last of the 6' splits. At this point 8k was in the bag. I wondered whether 8050m may be do-able, but even a frantic final minute wasn't enough and this time I fell off the erg happy with 8040m :D

IMG_6121.jpeg
IMG_6121.jpeg (19.72 KiB) Viewed 961 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thatโ€™s a lovely piece of pacing Mat and a great result ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Well done Mat ๐Ÿ˜Ž you pipped me by 3 metres ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

8037 @ 1:51.9 ๐Ÿ‘